• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

UEL R16 1st Leg: Rennes v Arsenal | March 7, 2019 17:55 GMT | BT Sport

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 1,109
  • Views 76,710

Match Prediction

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
Untitled.jpg

• Sides have never met in UEFA competition
  • Čech played for Rennes from 2002–2004
  • Rennes' sole previous experience of English opposition is a 2001 UEFA Intertoto Cup semi-final against Aston Villa that they lost on away goals (2-1 home, 0-1 away).
  • In contrast this is Arsenal's 25th UEFA fixture against opponents from France, and they have never lost any of the 12 away matches, winning eight. Indeed, they were on a seven-match winning streak until their most recent encounter, a 1-1 draw at Paris Saint-Germain in the 2016/17 UEFA Champions League group stage.

Team News:
Lacazette suspended

Possible Lineup:
Untitled.jpg

say yes

forum master baiter
Would rotate heavily for this. United game is crucial and they’re going to have an extra day’s rest.

Would probably play some kind of 352 formation with Suarez and Özil behind Aubameyang.

lamby22

It's Not Lupus

Would be tempted to rest Mkhi for this game - but it might interrupt his run of good form. With the Utd game in mind I'd think about resting one of the centre backs but that would mean Mustafi.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Completely agree about rotating pretty heavily tbh. If we go and beat United we're back in front on the top 4 race and don't really have to worry about needing others to drop points.

While our remaining fixtures might not be 'easy' they are all definitely winnable.

I hope we in this. Going for a 1-0 with a really boring and very slow game.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
I expect Mkhi, Xhaka, and Kos to be rested from the players included in that lineup. Monreal will probably be rested with the Utd game in mind as well. We'll still have a strong lineup without those 4 in any case.

say yes

forum master baiter
I’d play something like this:

—————— Aubameyang ———————
—————Özil* ———-- Suarez —————
Kolasinac** - Torreira - Elneny - Jenkinson
——— Koscielny - Sokratis - Mustafi ———
————————— Cech —————————

* Ramsey instead if Emery wants to start Özil vs. United.
** Monreal instead if Emery wants to start Kola vs. United.

Would enable us to start the same front 6 we used against Sp**s fully rested against United.

Although a back 4 might be better because it means we can rest Koscielny.

HBL

Established Member
Aubameyang
Iwobi - Özil - Mkhi
Douzi - Torreira
Kolasinac - Kosc - Sokratis - AMN
Cech​

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I’d rather keep Özil and Ramsey fresh for Sunday but it’s not going to happen.

Also hope Jenkinson plays again, I’d want AMN at right back against Utd as well.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

Think Kos could do with a rest, played a lot since returning from injury and picked up a few knocks here and there lately.

Emery might just play for the draw again and then finish the job at home, which would be fine with the game against United being a crucial one.

Aubameyang
Suarez Ramsey Özil
Xhaka Torreira
Kolasinac Sokratis Mustafi Lichtsteiner
Cech​

Last edited:

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
The only reason we should rotate is fatigue, and the only player who falls into that category is Kos. The UL is still our best chance of getting CL next season, we have to aim to win this away leg, don't mess around playing for a draw, just win it by as much as possible. I know Laca cant play this so he will get a rest anyway. Having said that, Laca & Auba have both been rested recently and it hasn't done either of them any favours. If a player is playing well ie Mhki, keep them playing, don't rest them.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
I feel if we hadn't fvcked up against BATE Emery would have rotated quite a bit for this. Might be too wary now

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Rennes have progressed beyond the group stages and the last 32 for a reason- we can’t take them too lightly.

Yes, it’s a team we should be beating comfortably, but **** me, so was BATE :lol:. Go with a strong team, and if we’re able to get the job done in good time, save some legs.

I’d go;

Cech
Lich Kos Sok Nacho
Torreira Xhaka
Iwobi Özil Mkhitaryan
Aubameyang

Lacazette can’t play this and will presumably start on Sunday, as will Ramsey who could exploit McTominay who’s absolutely awful. Torreira will be suspended for Sunday and he strikes me as the time to want to make amends with a stellar display.

Give Mkhi an hour and replace him with Suarez. Same with Xhaka- replace him with Guendouzi. That way the lads will be fresh whilst having the opportunity to continue their good form.

Would love a clean sheet and with the Kos and Sok connection, it’s very much possible. Cech worries me- he could well slap one in but let’s hope he doesn’t face too many shots.

Big game, lets try kill it in the first leg.

COYG!

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
It's simple: if we put our first XI out for this game we won't win on Sunday for sure and the CL probably drifts away from us. All we need is to keep this tie alive for the home leg and win it there.

Emery should be able to leave half a dozen starters out of the line-up and still get a result there but he's not going to so it's win the Europa League or no CL next year.

ClubLevel

Lets not forget that United have injury worries of their own and because they are stubborn and 'United' they will think they can go to Paris and win so will field the strongest possible line up there which may work in our favour.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom