• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bernd Leno: Talk of the Show

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
When we first signed him a lot of experts said that there were much better goalkeepers we could've bought from the German league, but it seems like the scouts did a good job, eh?

Leno has been consistent for years now. He was fantastic for Leverkusen, doesn’t take a millionaire scout to see that tbh.

He was due to be Neuer’s successor before the emergence of Ter Stegen, who admittedly is a brilliant keeper.

Who knows though? If Leno continues to improve he could make the NT no.1 spot his own. He certainly has the personality to.

Nyctophobia

Established Member
Leno has been consistent for years now. He was fantastic for Leverkusen, doesn’t take a millionaire scout to see that tbh.

He was due to be Neuer’s successor before the emergence of Ter Stegen, who admittedly is a brilliant keeper.

Who knows though? If Leno continues to improve he could make the NT no.1 spot his own. He certainly has the personality to.
Would be great if he got himself a starting position for the national team, for him and the club, having that sort of experience in our side would be invaluable.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
When we first signed him a lot of experts said that there were much better goalkeepers we could've bought from the German league, but it seems like the scouts did a good job, eh?

:lol:

Besides Neuer there was no one miles better. There were some keepers performing slightly better last Bundesliga season, but not much better. And then there's the context that Leno had stagnated a bit in the Vizekusen atmosphere and there was always the potential to go up anything from a notch to multiple levels, while the guys "better" than him - Hradecky, Fährmann - are way older. The only serious alternative could have been Pavlenka from Werder Bremen, but I honestly believe Leno has a higher ceiling, much closer to ter Stegen than people think. The latter needed two seasons to really get going and I expect Leno to go up a good bit during his second season, too.

Not good with ball to his feet and tend to struggle at set-pieces. Good shot stopper.

Overall he and Sokratis have been decent but hard to praise them enough because of lack of clean sheets.

ClubLevel

I think he is good with his feet personally. Its more that the players around him are not so good (defence with ball at feet).

This is a fairly objective post. I will point out he is better than Cech with his feet though.

Yeah he is better than Cech for sure, maybe a bit harsh to say he is not good with the ball to his feet. He is decent at it is maybe closer to what I should've said. Still something lacking. Maybe he will show more when he has adapted to the pace of the league.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
The Telegraph posted some analytics that show Leno has done about as well as you could expect given what's gone on ahead of him:
Arsenal No 1 Bernd Leno has had a tough start to life in England. He kept just one clean sheet in his first 15 Premier League starts, with only three goalkeepers - Gavin Ward, Julian Speroni and John Ruddy, all of whom played for rather less esteemed teams - having ever started off more poorly.

Untitled2.jpg

Leno probably isn't yet at the level of De Gea or Lloris, but it should be noted that he is not being helped out by the defenders in front of him.

Arsenal's leaky defence has shipped far too many goals this season, and the xGoT of the shots Leno has been facing suggests the route to his goal is too easy.

There are far too many high xGoT shots coming at the German goalkeeper, signalling that opponents are being allowed too many clear sights of his goal. He saves the majority of the lower xGoT shots that Arsenal concede.

Arsenal fans are well aware their defence needs strengthening, but it will be pleasing to know that Leno is doing better than most other Premier League keepers, having prevented 2.1 goals, the sixth best differential in the Premier League.
Compared to the rest of the league:
Untitled.jpg

Based on the the quality of chances he's faced, according to xG Leno should've conceded more than he actually did. Pretty good going especially when you consider how bad the £70m Kepa is doing by this metric.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

This is a fairly objective post. I will point out he is better than Cech with his feet though.

He is. My only problem with him is that he seems to dwell on it before passing/shooting the ball upfield that eventually he'll get caught out.

It almost happened last Saturday when Son was bearing down on him.

I also remember an earlier match where he was slow enough in clearing the ball that it ricocheted off the player running at him.

Fortunately for us it ended up being a goal kick :lol:

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
He is. My only problem with him is that he seems to dwell on it before passing/shooting the ball upfield that eventually he'll get caught out.

It almost happened last Saturday when Son was bearing down on him.

I also remember an earlier match where he was slow enough in clearing the ball that it ricocheted off the player running at him.

Fortunately for us it ended up being a goal kick :lol:
Forgot about that. Was shrieking at the tellie when he did that

Sapient Hawk

Trusted ⭐

Forgot about that. Was shrieking at the tellie when he did that

I yelled at the TV "There's a REASON you're a goalkeeper, Leno. You're not as adept with the ball at your feet as your team mates. Stop messing about & kick it up the field" :lol:

Probably my second pet peeve behind passing the ball back during a promising surge forward :mad:

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I yelled at the TV "There's a REASON you're a goalkeeper, Leno. You're not as adept with the ball at your feet as your team mates. Stop messing about & kick it up the field" :lol:

Probably my second pet peeve behind passing the ball back during a promising surge forward :mad:
My wife tells me the players can't hear me when I scream at the TV. Stupid cow!
I chant war cries with the stadium crowd and everything. It is a proper ritual

Sapient Hawk

Trusted ⭐

My wife tells me the players can't hear me when I scream at the TV. Stupid cow!
I chant war cries with the stadium crowd and everything. It is a proper ritual

They'll just never understand the hold football in general & Arsenal in Particular have over us.

I've long since elected to tune her out for 90 minutes in lieu of educating her :lol:

Oh_Snap

You guys are weird. Allowing the Missus in the Room (when she's not bringing beer) while Arsenal is playing. Tsk.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom