• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ex-DFB boss Zwanziger attacks FIFA, Qatar and Infantino

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Didn't really find a thread in which this would fit in properly, so here's a new one.

Ex-DFB president Theo Zwanziger attacks FIFA, Qatar and Gianni Infantino in an interview with German football magazine 11Freunde - and he's not holding back. Here are some quotes that have already been published:

"FIFA is a network of dependencies which's environment has a tendency for corruption. Simply put: Those who want to rise to the top establish a good relationship with their bosses. Those who want to stay at the top are well advised to not scare off their employees. On top off that there's a tendency to look away, transparency and control are insufficient."

"For Infantino it was unconceivable to get into the line of fire as president. So he replaced the two jurists at the top of the Ethics Commission, Swiss Cornel Borbely and German Hans-Joachim Eckert, with allies and bootlickers."

"I absolutely wanted to work on FIFA reforms. But if I had entered this battlefield, there would have been a lack of understanding by many people and my opportunities would have been limited. Sometimes you have to howl with the wolves for the sake of the matter."

"If an unstable system permeated with weak characters gets out of control - it explodes."

"I have said it many times and I remain firm on it: Qatar is the cancerous ulcer of world football." [Qatar actually tried to sue him for that]

"If Mr. Grindel [current DFB president] asked me if he should apply to take away the World Cup from Qatar, I'd advice him not to. It would only harm the DFB, for example when it comes to hosting the next big tournament. Even being the football association with the most members, the DFB only has one vote in the FIFA-Congress as every one else."

"FIFA operates according to the principle: Whose bread I eat, whose song I sing. And right now FIFA is eating Qatar's bread. A player who behaves in a brutal or racist manner on the pitch is severly punished. That's very good! But on the highest levels of officials there's completely different rules."

"I concede that football has become somewhat of a circus. Even a circus can be attractive, even if to some degree it's only an illusion. No doubt football has moved away from its basic ethical significance. And in my opinion football isn't suitable as a rolemodel anymore."

Single-hand appraoches wouldn't be of any use to change Infantino's system. "The DFB should work together with other progressive associations on lasting improvements."

-----------------

What should be taken into account here is that Zwanziger was DFB president from 2006 to 2012 and was himself involved in the corruption affair surrounding Franz Beckenbauer and bringing the 2006 World Cup to Germany. He's been part of the FIFA and UEFA system for a very long time and has very likely profited from this himself. Regarding his claims he wanted to work on reforms but held back to protect the DFB from harm by loosing influence and falling from the good graces of FIFA's president and higher officials have to be taken in rather unsubstantiated. The whole interview does indeed reek of a man who's now hitting out in hindsight and clearly not a friend of the current leaders.

Still, what he says absolutely falls in line with what almost anyone knows about Infantino lead FIFA and surely doesn't come as a big surprise - it's interesting, though, as it comes from an ex-top official. It's a bit like a Mafia member going into witness protection and dishing out on their deeds - sure, he's a bad guy himself but that doesn't take away from the insight we're given.
Blatter's FIFA already was a corrupt shame of an organization, but clearly Infantino and his men have put another one on top with their increasing ties to the Arabian peninsula and blown out tournaments. Football seems ever more profit oriented and soulless. A German proverb says: "Den Teufel jagt man hinaus, der Satan kommt wieder herein" - "You chase out the devil, Satan comes back in."

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Still, what he says absolutely falls in line with what almost anyone knows about Infantino lead FIFA and surely doesn't come as a big surprise - it's interesting, though, as it comes from an ex-top official. It's a bit like a Mafia member going into witness protection and dishing out on their deeds - sure, he's a bad guy himself but that doesn't take away from the insight we're given.
Blatter's FIFA already was a corrupt shame of an organization, but clearly Infantino and his men have put another one on top with their increasing ties to the Arabian peninsula and blown out tournaments. Football seems ever more profit oriented and soulless. A German proverb says: "Den Teufel jagt man hinaus, der Satan kommt wieder herein" - "You chase out the devil, Satan comes back in."
really don't care about this demonization of middle east monies.

1. It is bound to happen sooner or later. Too much interest in the game in these regions.

2. Middle East money is no more or no less tainted than China money or Russian money.

Anyone who calls them out for human rights or whatever is going extreme in the other direction..."You chase out the devil, Satan comes back in."

Toby

1. It is bound to happen sooner or later. Too much interest in the game in these regions.

2. Middle East money is no more or no less tainted than China money or Russian money.

Anyone who calls them out for human rights or whatever is going extreme in the other direction..."You chase out the devil, Satan comes back in."

It's not just about the money. That WC is one big, free marketing campaign for Qatar to shift focus away from their misdeeds. It'll just be a question of time when the next big tournament is held in China. Russia already had their Cup.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It's not just about the money. That WC is one big, free marketing campaign for Qatar to shift focus away from their misdeeds. It'll just be a question of time when the next big tournament is held in China. Russia already had their Cup.
they're doing it to preserve their honor now. If they lose the WC hosting rights, they will be further disgraced.

As far as media backlash, the media could shout at them until their face turned blue, and they wouldn't care as long as their interests are not harmed.

Edit: What difference has the media ever made about the Middle East? They view the western media as poisonous snakes (somewhat rightly). The only effect the media has had is it has solidified stereotypes. You think they care about how anyone else views them?

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Good that someone speaks out. A world cup in Qatar is such a horrible idea.
logistically? No. Small country and the teams will not have to travel a lot. It will be like a big olympic village.

financially: TV money will be the same.Qatar will not make as much as they would, had they been.

Sporting terms: very bad idea.

Giroud12

logistically? No. Small country and the teams will not have to travel a lot. It will be like a big olympic village.

financially: TV money will be the same.Qatar will not make as much as they would, had they been.

Sporting terms: very bad idea.

In so many ways its so, so wrong. It´s so obvious to everyone I don´t even bother arguing my point here.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
In so many ways its so, so wrong. It´s so obvious to everyone I don´t even bother arguing my point here.
enlighten me, then. I want to hear your opinion, not something you heard off the internet.

sorry for my incomplete post, btw. I noticed later.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes

Middle Eastern money is way worse today

There is abuse in all those place for sure, and if you go back some years even more so.

But that chinese fella who made the Huawei I type this on atleast got paid

The african that built the stadiums in Qatar is an actual slave...

And that is not even touching the subject that is salafi islam which affects the world more today than chinese commie propaganda or russian bots.

Neither Russsia nor China today operate from any ideologue (apart from state gains) Qatar, Saudi ET al operate from a clearly evil ideologue

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Middle Eastern money is way worse today

There is abuse in all those place for sure, and if you go back some years even more so.

But that chinese fella who made the Huawei I type this on atleast got paid

The african that built the stadiums in Qatar is an actual slave...

And that is not even touching the subject that is salafi islam which affects the world more today than chinese commie propaganda or russian bots.

Neither Russsia nor China today operate from any ideologue (apart from state gains) Qatar, Saudi ET al operate from a clearly evil ideologue
African slave? Perhaps you can elaborate with some stats or numbers.

While there is universal agreement about who were slavers.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
African slave? Perhaps you can elaborate with some stats or numbers.

While there is universal agreement about who were slavers.

Sorry correction Asian

And by agreement you mean that it was arabic traders and african warlords?

Sure Euros dabbled in it and it had been present in greece and roman past.
And really even after slavery ended in Europe it was just more of the same for the common man.

But the arab slavetrade has been ever present for over 1000years

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Sorry correction Asian

And by agreement you mean that it was arabic traders and african warlords?

Sure Euros dabbled in it and it had been present in greece and roman past.
And really even after slavery ended in Europe it was just more of the same for the common man.

But the arab slavetrade has been ever present for over 1000years
dude, you are trying to tell an Asian that Europeans only 'dabbled' in slavery? You have no way to prove whatever you are trying to say..

Whether Qatar money is tainted or not, it is not better or worse than the others

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
dude, you are trying to tell an Asian that Europeans only 'dabbled' in slavery? You have no way to prove whatever you are trying to say..

Whether Qatar money is tainted or not, it is not better or worse than the others
Dabbled is just being cheeky ;)
but if you have ever read anything about it you would know that the millions of africans brought and sold by european powers over a period of 2-300years is dwarfed considerably by what the arabs did for 1000years...

Europeans arrived to africa and an already flourishing trade.

Colonialism and everything it entails is horrible but dont pretends that Europeans are just always the worst

Even people we today consider cruel and barbaric brought some good with them even arabs provided loads to maths/science etc etc

Europe evolved thou, the ME less so

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Dabbled is just being cheeky ;)
but if you have ever read anything about it you would know that the millions of africans brought and sold by european powers over a period of 2-300years is dwarfed considerably by what the arabs did for 1000years...

Europeans arrived to africa and an already flourishing trade.

Colonialism and everything it entails is horrible but dont pretends that Europeans are just always the worst

Even people we today consider cruel and barbaric brought some good with them even arabs provided loads to maths/science etc etc

Europe evolved thou, the ME less so
Africa was a super duper power, mate. The money they had was beyond imagination

Bigger than Saudi or the middle east, though you would find it hard to differentiate between middle east and Africa. I'd elaborate more but that is for another time.

Toby

DFB boss Grindel loses his temper and breaks off an interview after he didn't like the journos questions on FIFA plans and Qatar.

He said the journo wanted to put words in his mouth (which wasn't the case), and told the reporter he could only ask three questions about Qatar. When the reporter asked "Am I allowed to ask about the 25m sponsorship deal [with Qatar for the Club WC]?", Grindel said "No". The reporter asked him why, as Grindel had just said he could ask three questions on Qatar and he hadn't brought up the 25m yet. Grindel didn't respond but said "Ok, let's end this here", ripped of the microphone and left the room, with the reporter repeatedly stating he actually hadn't asked anything about Qatar yet and if he was willing to complete the interview.

Absolute corrupt cocks. All of them football officials. And they know they are, that's why they refuse to answer questions.

Toby

And while we're at it, another bit of news regarding FIFA and their Club WC:

European Club Association ECA against Club WC plans

https://www.transfermarkt.de/klub-v...sh-auch-bayern-unterschreibt/view/news/331701

Shortly before a FIFA-Council meeting in Miami on Friday, ECA, the association of all 232 European football clubs, stated that no new Club WC format was acceptable as the match plans were already fixed until 2024, and that no European top club would take part in such a tournament.

ECA released a public letter to UEFA and Infantino signed by all 15 board members.

Infantino wanted a Club WC with 24 instead of 7 teams, played instead of the Confederations Cup. FIFA initially wanted to include 12 European teams, but UEFA was against this as it meant serious competition for the Champions League. ECA's interest lies in securing the highest possible amount of sponsorship money for the clubs.

Apparently the ECA is very wary of Infantino, especially FIFA's refusal to let a taskforce investigate the financing model for the tournament - including the ominous 25m € deal with Qatar.

Toby

Aaaand he's gone. DFB president Grindel steps down amidst corruption and compliance scandal.

https://www.dw.com/cda/en/dfb-president-reinhard-grindel-steps-down/a-48160431

Absolute cvnt that guy. Good he's gone.

At least from German football, but good for him FIFA always has the back of loyal boys: "According to the statement, Grindel is to continue to serve as a member of the FIFA Council and on the UEFA Executive Committee."

Nice short vid for all the German speakers:

Last edited:

Latest posts+

Top Bottom