• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang: Black Panther

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

People keep saying his penalty is bad, but it's not at all really. If you watch closely De Gea makes it so so easy for him, hence why he was so mad after.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
I don't think anyone has called him useless have they. He's having a bad patch currently, which he's fixing tomorrow btw.:lol:

There have been voices here and there saying he's not good enough and doesn't do enough. Well he's scoring goals, is one of the most prolific and consistent guys at it in Europe - and in the end goals win you games.

ksarp

There have been voices here and there saying he's not good enough and doesn't do enough. Well he's scoring goals, is one of the most prolific and consistent guys at it in Europe - and in the end goals win you games.

Goals only? Isn’t there more to winning than scoring goals?

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
People keep saying his penalty is bad, but it's not at all really. If you watch closely De Gea makes it so so easy for him, hence why he was so mad after.

Bad is so vague. I think they mean it wasn’t well struck, which is likely to be the case when looking at the keeper rather than the ball.

As a keeper myself, De Gea was probably mad because he changed his mind about what he was going to do at the last moment moreso than making it easy for Auba.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I think they are referring to individual games and/or the past fortnight. In which he hasn't been great at all. That isn't an indication of his talent though, to me at least.
If there are people saying he is rubbish then they should simply be ignored. I'm hoping he is in top form tonight and puts this shaky two weeks or so behind him, continuing a top season.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Bad is so vague. I think they mean it wasn’t well struck, which is likely to be the case when looking at the keeper rather than the ball.

As a keeper myself, De Gea was probably mad because he changed his mind about what he was going to do at the last moment moreso than making it easy for Auba.

I mean you don't need to strike it well if you know where the keeper is going. I'd like to think Auba would of stuck it to De Gea's left had he dived to his right.

HBL

Established Member
Anyone calling him useless is wrong but on the flip side anyone that thinks his performances in the last 2 months or so have been good enough is also wrong. Been very poor recently, having said that... Please turn up tonight Auba!

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
If you break football down to the simplest, it is about winning. And how do you win? By scoring at least one goal.
You have to defend that goal too though... So it can never be broken down to simply scoring. Remember Newcastle when Diaby got sent off. We scored 4 by half time. So it is definitely not just about scoring.

Toby

You have to defend that goal too though... So it can never be broken down to simply scoring. Remember Newcastle when Diaby got sent off. We scored 4 by half time. So it is definitely not just about scoring.

yeah, of course I'm being tongue in cheek here and go by football sayings. And with that: you score 4, concede 4 - if you score another you still win ;)

I'm seriously just breaking this down, because - not right now, but a few weeks back - there was criticism that Auba doesn't do enough and he was still scoring at that time. And everyone gets so into this "modern" striker type that drops deep and helps play - which by the way is a big myth anyway in my opinion - that they come up with stuff like "scoring goals is not enough". So, well, if you put it really simply: It basically is, though. So criticism like "25 to 35 goals a season is not enough" is a bit ridiculous in my opinion.

ksarp

If you break football down to the simplest, it is about winning. And how do you win? By scoring at least one goal.

In American football there is a saying ..” Offense sells tickets but defense wins championships”.
Exhibit A , Bayern v Liverpool last night.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
In American football there is a saying ..” Offense sells tickets but defense wins championships”.
In real football the saying has been around for a while. "Strikers win you matches but defenders win you titles".

ksarp

Anyone calling him useless is wrong but on the flip side anyone that thinks his performances in the last 2 months or so have been good enough is also wrong. Been very poor recently, having said that... Please turn up tonight Auba!

That’s all I have pontificating! He’s been very poor this season apart from scoring. Some belive scoring absolves him of his ineptitude elsewhere. I disagree.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I mean you don't need to strike it well if you know where the keeper is going. I'd like to think Auba would of stuck it to De Gea's left had he dived to his right.

Yes and no. A badly struck penalty can make the keeper's movement inconsequential, as John Terry will testify.

The penalty takers with the very best records over a long period of time - Kane, Ronaldo etc tend to focus on accuracy. But there isn't one formula, it's personal preference with a trade off I guess.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Sounds then like defense is equally important as offense then? So the nothing that scoring supersedes defense is myopic, you’d agree?
I have bias because I am a defender in every sport I have played. But generally I feel that is the case. And how much better would we be if we had not conceded so many.

Toby

Offense wins you games, defense wins you trophies. That's the older football version of it.

And I have to disagree on yesterday's match being an example for that. Bayern went out cause they choked offensively - their offensive game was abysmal much more than Liverpool's defending was worldclass. On the other side Liverpool scored 3 goals and won against a defense that for 1.5 mistakes wasn't excessively worse than what 'pool were doing defensively at their end.

This game was definitely decided by offense vs. offense, while funnily not being outright entertaining re: offense sells tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom