• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Let's all laugh at Man Utd: Amrabad

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Hope we smash them but the whole Ole thing is pretty good to watch & very impressive. Just takes one guy who appreciates the history & style of the club to bring it back.

D1Cw3odXcAASEDn.jpg

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Amazing how so many didn't realise what a honeymoon period was. Eventually Ole's gonna have to do some actually coaching and come up with some actually tactics rather than just being everyone's best friend or ringing Sir Alex to give the team some motivational speeches.

As a fan of a club who're United's rivals I'll be delighted if they appoint Ole over an actual manager. It'd be a signal that United just aren't serious about competing.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
As a fan of a club who're United's rivals I'll be delighted if they appoint Ole over an actual manager. It'd be a signal that United just aren't serious about competing.

Tbh I don't know about that. I don't rate Ole as a manager, but then again who should they get? The way I see United they never really were about outstanding tactics or a certain brand of football; it was money, motivation, individual quality, pragmatism and this sort of swaggering "we are United" confidence - and Ferguson being a shrewd old fox.

Moyes is a **** manager. The idiosyncratic tacticians van Gaal and Mourinho backfired - and thus I'm not certain someone like Conte, Pochettino or someone of that ilk would work out for them. Allegri and of course Zidane seem the most fitting of all the big(ger) names out there. But can they get them with Real, maybe Barca, and maybe even Juve, maybe Chelsea, all on the lookout for a new manager?

I don't think Ole can do the job longterm, he's not good enough for that, but if I were United I wouldn't veer too much away from his overall profile if they can't get Zidane/Allegri. Someone pragmatic who understands what that club is about. Maybe Espirito Santo could be an option. Niko Kovac would have been interesting if he had gotten the boot by Bayern.

Or maybe they should just stick with Ole for two seasons, though. Get regular Top 4, play football, be happy, see what happens after that.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
The way I see United they never really were about outstanding tactics or a certain brand of football; it was money, motivation, individual quality, pragmatism and this sort of swaggering "we are United" confidence - and Ferguson being a shrewd old fox.
Uncanny. My bro said this exact same thing while we watched the game last night. Virtually word for word.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Been confused for a while ever since Man United beat PSG. It's pretty incredible what Ole has done at United considering the circumstances they were in, but they have always had some very good players. But all I keep seeing is how well United did to beat PSG.

I understand it doesn't matter how you win, as long as you do and they defended well at times, but all 3 goals they scored came out of huge PSG mistakes right?

I saw this comment today about Ole 'he has shown the ability to make bold tactical decisions and great substitutions, which was key to us beating PSG'.

What 'bold' tactics we used to get that win? It's not like they did some really nice counter attacks to score a long with good defending?

Is it just my hatred making me blind and United did well vs PSG or am I right?

@Toby Andrl what are your thoughts?

@Juan Matas Beard what was your opinion on the PSG game?

Anyone else feel free to chime in on your United thoughts.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
I saw this comment today about Ole 'he has shown the ability to make bold tactical decisions and great substitutions, which was key to us beating PSG'.

What 'bold' tactics we used to get that win? It's not like they did some really nice counter attacks to score a long with good defending?

I felt like that was a paradoxical game. PSG did very well on ball circulation but somewhat lacked the intent to score. I believe this was their game plan after all: Backed by the superior player material and ability to keep the ball as well as the away 2 goal lead I think their idea was to basically play United into their box and a goal would ultimately follow. And United played into their hands with their very deep and compact defensive pressing over short distances; it made it hard for Saint-Germain to get through but when United won the ball it was easy for the french to quickly get a grip again as Utd sat so deep and tight to each other they actually hampered their own chances to get the ball out of their own half. Lukaku was sitting pretty deep, too, and as they sat so deep as a whole they elongated the distance to the french goal. That first goal was an absolute fluke after a Kehrer mistake, and after that, tactically, Saint-Germain did everything right while United took themselves out of the game - with their mistakes and lack of urgency to score the frenchies almost coerced United into scoring and eventually winning against the run of the game.

I mean United's plan certainly was to sit deep and then counter, but most of the time they had no grip on the game, no great chances to counter or even score. Don't think it was planned to turn out that offensively toothless. Both goals from open play resulted from mistakes, their third was a penalty. I think that says a lot. This is more a case of PSG losing that game than United winning it and thus says more about the frenchies problems than United's strengths.

Thus, as for that comment, don't know how anything of that can be labelled bold or planned. Solskjaer parked his bus at the dark, far end of the lot, on the way there he gets mugged and robbed of his keys and parking ticket, but trying to get away the crook stumbles over his own baseball bat, dropping keys and ticket, and as he gets up and tries to run away again, he stumbles over passed out Solsjkaer's body, too. That's the level of inability the french and the level of uninvolvedness Utd have shown.

As for subs: He brought on who was still available, don't think there was much choice involved. Even if you say "well he could've brought on defensive players"...well what for. It's a knockout game and you're on the ropes.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

I felt like that was a paradoxical game. PSG did very well on ball circulation but somewhat lacked the intent to score. I believe this was their game plan after all: Backed by the superior player material and ability to keep the ball as well as the away 2 goal lead I think their idea was to basically play United into their box and a goal would ultimately follow. And United played into their hands with their very deep and compact defensive pressing over short distances; it made it hard for Saint-Germain to get through but when United won the ball it was easy for the french to quickly get a grip again as Utd sat so deep and tight to each other they actually hampered their own chances to get the ball out of their own half. Lukaku was sitting pretty deep, too, and as they sat so deep as a whole they elongated the distance to the french goal. That first goal was an absolute fluke after a Kehrer mistake, and after that, tactically, Saint-Germain did everything right while United took themselves out of the game - with their mistakes and lack of urgency to score the frenchies almost coerced United into scoring and eventually winning against the run of the game.

I mean United's plan certainly was to sit deep and then counter, but most of the time they had no grip on the game, no great chances to counter or even score. Don't think it was planned to turn out that offensively toothless. Both goals from open play resulted from mistakes, their third was a penalty. I think that says a lot. This is more a case of PSG losing that game than United winning it and thus says more about the frenchies problems than United's strengths.

Thus, as for that comment, don't know how anything of that can be labelled bold or planned. Solskjaer parked his bus at the dark, far end of the lot, on the way there he gets mugged and robbed of his keys and parking ticket, but trying to get away the crook stumbles over his own baseball bat, dropping keys and ticket, and as he gets up and tries to run away again, he stumbles over passed out Solsjkaer's body, too. That's the level of inability the french and the level of uninvolvedness Utd have shown.

As for subs: He brought on who was still available, don't think there was much choice involved. Even if you say "well he could've brought on defensive players"...well what for. It's a knockout game and you're on the ropes.

Yeah I agree with everything tbh. While I understand what Ole has done is impressive as I stated before, I've never seen such a one sided game result in the way it did and then for everyone in the media completely over look it is just crazy. Even my United mates seem to think they they were't lucky against PSG. I'd be interested to hear what @Juan Matas Beard thinks.

Cheers for taking the time to respond.

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

Been confused for a while ever since Man United beat PSG. It's pretty incredible what Ole has done at United considering the circumstances they were in, but they have always had some very good players. But all I keep seeing is how well United did to beat PSG.

If you want me to answer if it was a tactical masterclass or not, in three words - it was not.

But that should not mean we can't still take positives from it. For the first time in what feels like a long time we have a manager that the players respond to and will fight for.

It was the circumstances that made the win more impressive. Even with a fully fit team, we are far from PSG's level but we managed to do it with 10 injuries to first-teamers. In terms of tactics and all that fun stuff, Solskjaer was only working with what he had, story of his season so far. He decided to set up with a back 3. Something he probably should have done in the home game to nullify their attack and Smalling deserves a lot of credit for ensuring Mbappe had a very quiet game. I think credit also goes for being reactive, he saw Bailly was having a bad game and he was subbed off for Dalot before half time.

We don't have deep depth with injuries so he can't exactly change much but can't fault a man for working with what he's got and giving our season something to fight for.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
United fans crying on social media about wrong decisions by the referee. Funniest thing I have seen on the internet for a long time.

I understand it doesn't matter how you win, as long as you do and they defended well at times, but all 3 goals they scored came out of huge PSG mistakes right?

All 3 gifted goals by PSG. Manure dont deserve to be in the CL QF, except for the PSG's horrendous mistakes by Buffon and that defender. If you play this fixture 5 out of 5 times, Manure will lose all of them.

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

All 3 gifted goals by PSG. Manure dont deserve to be in the CL QF, except for the PSG's horrendous mistakes by Buffon and that defender. If you play this fixture 5 out of 5 times, Manure will lose all of them.

So what? Being successful in football is about anticipating mistakes and being clinical. It's usually what separates teams at the highest level.

I'd actually praise your result against us for those exact reasons.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
So what? Being successful in football is about anticipating mistakes and being clinical. It's usually what separates teams at the highest level.

I'd actually praise your result against us for those exact reasons.

A win is a win. I'd be more concerned about the way PSG let it get away than about how United won. As the famous Oakland Raiders coach/owner Al Davis always said: "Just win baby."

Top Bottom