• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Monchi Targeted for Technical Director Role

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
Overmars seems pretty perfect. I like the Arsenal history / link when we dont have much anymore.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
Do you think Sven was prepared to offer footballing advice to the manager, take on some of the manager's day-to-day off-the-pitch duties and serve as an intermediary between the manager and the board? Apparently Raul did not think so. Also, they did not share the same vision for how the club should be run in the future. Sven is more an analytics (StatsDNA) kind of guy who relies very little on other scouts. Sanllehi likes a vast network of scouts to uncover talent all over the world. As Honigstein reported when the news broke that Sven would be leaving:

According to club sources, Sanllehi, the former director of football at Barcelona, favoured a recruitment policy based on his extensive network of contacts throughout Europe, while Mislintat had been tasked by Gazidis to follow the kind of analytical and stats-based approach that saw 19-year-old midfielder Matteo Guendouzi join from French second-division club Lorient and 22-year-old Uruguay international Lucas Torreira arrive from Sampdoria.
Sanllehi looks like a complete tool after the fails with Sven & Monchi, the jokers Raul and Vinai aren't fit to lace Gazidis' boots.

Last edited:

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
It can't have been a very good one if its fallen apart so quickly with Gazidis leaving, then Sven and we still haven't found a technical director. A few people received promotions when Gazidis left and I doubt those promotions were planned.

If there was a good structure in place, then why were Sven and Raul allegedly at loggerheads? It appears to me that although they had different job titles, a few people were stepping on each other's toes because their job functions overlapped.
Sven should've just stayed in his lane as the chief scout, instead of trying to muscle in on a position he wasn't suited for. He's left Dortmund and Arsenal unceremoniously so there's a possibility he's difficult to work with.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
By all accounts Sven was promised something by his former boss and then his colleague became his boss and had different ideas. That's nothing to do with poor structure that's just the way it is if the man at the top leaves. It could happen again if Raul leaves or is fired and it could happen again if his replacement leaves or is fired.

Malky

Established Member
Meh, not at all bothered about this.
Thought he'd be a good appointment, in all honesty, until I read his reasons for leaving Roma -

Monchi decided to leave for a number of reasons including finding it difficult to cope with criticism and negativity surrounding Roma as well as failing to meet expectations in the transfer market.

Seems like he's a coward who can't cope under pressure. No surprise he's went to Sevilla who, with all respect, will have lower expectations than ours.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Please no Overmars, I've suffered enough through his incompetency at Ajax. All he does well is sell high. I want him gone at Ajax but not if it means he ends up here.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Sven should've just stayed in his lane as the chief scout, instead of trying to muscle in on a position he wasn't suited for. He's left Dortmund and Arsenal unceremoniously so there's a possibility he's difficult to work with.

Whose bright idea was it to bring Sven in if he really is such a difficult character to work with?

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Please no Overmars, I've suffered enough through his incompetency at Ajax. All he does well is sell high. I want him gone at Ajax but not if it means he ends up here.

Since I'm not familiar with the workings at Ajax, I was struck by this from Watts' article on Overmars' interest:

...at Ajax, Overmars predominantly looks after the business side of things, while recruitment is left to chief scout Henk Veltmate.

So if they do hire Overmars, they obviously will need a chief scout that they trust implicitly. Monchi, of course, would largely have overseen this are himself. It seems Overmars would be geared more toward administrative duties, supporting and assisting the manager, serving as a liaison with the board, etc. This makes me question whether or not Arsenal is seriously interested in him. I guess we'll see.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
To be honest, I remember pushing the idea of getting Overmars here in a similar capacity at some point when he first joined Ajax. He definitely seemed like the sort of guy who could do well in such a role. After what he's done at Ajax from what I know-not in great detail though- he wouldn't be a bad candidate.

My idea was something like a double team between Overmars and Pires.

That said, I'm actually happy Monchi didn't arrive. I have serious doubts about him.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Overmars doesn't sound far away from what would be required - ability to negotiate good money from sales, encourages promotion from academy and pretty much has to ensure football philosophy at Ajax stays intact regardless of personnel - 3 things that would clearly be ideals Arsenal would like. Whether he's actually doing that well at Ajax is up for debate clearly, but I assume that would be the remit for the man we bring in from the job.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Whose bright idea was it to bring Sven in if he really is such a difficult character to work with?
At Dortmund he had some conflict with Tuchel, which is not unusual but you can't really blame the club for his sense of entitlement when it came to getting a promotion here.

Let's play Aubamawang

I'm not sad about missing out on Monchi. When was the last time we hired a bald guy we could trust? Bould will fix our defence....oh wait, not with Wenger in charge. Gazidis...say no more. Monchi? Disaster waiting to happen?

TheEconomist

Established Member
I'm not sad about missing out on Monchi. When was the last time we hired a bald guy we could trust? Bould will fix our defence....oh wait, not with Wenger in charge. Gazidis...say no more. Monchi? Disaster waiting to happen?
Now that you mention it i'm struggling to think of any bald guy we've had since Henry who has done well..

Anyway no hard feelings to Monchi it doesn't sound like him and arsenal were right for each other .All the best to him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom