• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Monchi Targeted for Technical Director Role

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Sounds as though some of you would support the idea of Overmars in an executive role similar to how he works at Ajax along with a head of recruitment (such as Cagigao) doing the actual scouting and recruitment. You'd rather have that than someone such as Luis Campos (just as a for instance since I've seen nothing linking him to Arsenal), who would be more directly involved in scouting and recruiting?

benjamin86

Established Member
Sounds as though some of you would support the idea of Overmars in an executive role similar to how he works at Ajax along with a head of recruitment (such as Cagigao) doing the actual scouting and recruitment. You'd rather have that than someone such as Luis Campos (just as a for instance since I've seen nothing linking him to Arsenal), who would be more directly involved in scouting and recruiting?
I support who ever you and @Toby Andrl think would be best tbh.

benjamin86

Established Member
By all accounts Sven was promised something by his former boss and then his colleague became his boss and had different ideas. That's nothing to do with poor structure that's just the way it is if the man at the top leaves. It could happen again if Raul leaves or is fired and it could happen again if his replacement leaves or is fired.
This is what i remember reading as well.
He was recruited to be head of recruitment with Sannelhi doing the business side of things (effectively splitting the Director of Football role) but then Gazidis left and Sannelhi wanted Sven to work under a Director which was kind of a demotion.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Depends. Personally I'd like to see us use the academy more to bring through players into the first team squad - any director who emphasizes that as a principle is more ideal for me.

Ultimately, either way is fine with me as long as it works for the club.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Depends. Personally I'd like to see us use the academy more to bring through players into the first team squad - any director who emphasizes that as a principle is more ideal for me.

Ultimately, either way is fine with me as long as it works for the club.

I tend to feel the same way. That's where Monchi's experience in basically building Sevilla's fantastic academy from scratch would have been a plus, but he's far from the only one.

Had Mislintat stayed, someone in the mold of Overmars might have made a good team had they been able to get along. A Monchi would have been quite hands on in scouting and recruiting, leaving the role of a head of recruitment rather redundant. As you say, whatever works, whether it's one guy or two. I trust that they'll get it figured out and get good people in place.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Please no Overmars, I've suffered enough through his incompetency at Ajax. All he does well is sell high. I want him gone at Ajax but not if it means he ends up here.
Hmmm really I think we have a big problem if he’s gone at Ajax. Every player can be sold and the manager too but he’s more important than all of them. He and VDS are the stability the club has needed for years. Ajax could end up with a Martin van Geel again, or worse. You know how politics are at that level.

There has been a learning curve at Ajax for Overmars for sure, but I value his current policies.

- Squad needs to be complete early in the summer. You can see how it helped Ajax get far in the CL. They had to survive three qualifying rounds to get to the group stage and a big reason they did so is because Overmars got the squad complete with Blind and Tadic so early. First game was 25-07-2018 already.

-Players are getting bought 6 months early and come over to Amsterdam to get used to the city, club and nothing is expected of them for that half year (Neres, Magallan). It helps them a lot.

-A manager will never get the chance to buy too many of his own players, he sets the tone and the manager “works for him”. In the last 7 years there was maybe 1 signing more for the manager than club policy and that was Labyad, not exactly a succes.

-Players are rewarded with new contracts when they deserve them, before they ask for it. Power is always at Ajax because players have long deals and get renewed three years before it’s over. Look at Ziyech, got a raise without longer term to show him how much they value him in the summer and look at the year he’s having now.

What I can say against him is what goes for every director at Ajax. They are often saved by the quality of talent that comes through at Ajax. Every year there are a regular 3-4 players that come through the academy that are good enough to play, no matter how high the level of the first team. It has always been like that at Ajax.

But still, deals like Frenkie in for €1 and out for 85M speak for Overmars. Ajax wasn’t the only club in for him, but we got him. Davinson Sanchez was a starter at 19 for a Copa Libertadores contender (they won). The whole world knew about his talent, Barcelona made an offer to sign him but Overmars got him over the line at 5M and he had a brilliant year and sold for 8 times that. Onana was signed from Barcelona B for almost nothing, his contract was about to expire. He’s the next big goalkeeper to absolutely make it at a top three league. Signed for nothing.

I know I’m looking at it too positive, there are also bad transfers like Cassiera, Orejuola, letting Wöber go this winter to Sevilla for 12M (I know he was sitting on the bench but he’s such a talent, will make it at Sevilla) the second goalkeeper situation. And he leaves other holes in the squad that can cost you but honestly I think it’s done on purpose. Guys like Mazraoui would never break through if there aren’t holes. They aren’t of the level of Frenkie of De Ligt but now with his year of experience I would not be surprised if he plays in midfield next season, his natural position.

Overall what I want to say is Overmars isn’t perfect, but he’s becoming damn good and I would back him at Arsenal. Would have been perfect working with Mislintat lining them up and Overmars pulling them in.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
I miss Gazidis, if he was still here, Mislintat would‘ve been promoted to Technical Director as he was promised and Sanllehi wouldn‘t have been able to bring his Spanish buddies as easily.
Yep, since Sanllehi took over we:
- lost one of the best chief scouts in the business;
- failed to bring in any decent players in January to boost our chances for Top 4/EL despite having 3 long-term injuries;
- missed out on our first choice DoF (Monchi) to fecking Sevilla.

Gursha

Overmars has better recent record than monchi...
De Ligt prob the best CB potential in the world.
Frankie De Jong.
Ziyech.
Tagliafico
Dolberg

Huge potential at ajax atm....

I actually prefer overmars if he can find this kind of talent...

The monchi finds i saw are actually not from his recent days if im not wrong...

Or maybe the technical role at Arsenal is a poisoned chalice. First Mislintat left after a short stint. And now Monchi who according to reports was a sure thing, has now made a U-turn as big as the Maracana stadium.

There is something fishy going on there. I can smell it from all the way here. I bet you the moment we start considering Overmars as a solid candidate, hes going to suddenly develop a heartburn and cant make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom