• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Antonio Valencia

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
If Valencia one of our targets this summer then the budget must be really s**t.

#emeryluck

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

If we need a relatively cheap right-back, should just get Dumfries.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
This would be a rubbish signing like Silvestre. A guy who is finished at the top level but will retain big wage expectations.

If we want to be a lesser team than Manu this is the way to go about it, signing their superannuated rejects.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Didn't we say this about Lichsteiner?

To be fair, the trouble with Lichtsteiner is that his legs are gone. Unfortunately, Stephan's game has always been built on his pace, energy, hard work and tactical awareness. He's always been prone to be overly aggressive and subject to defensive errors, but his legs no longer allow him to overcome that.

Valencia is a couple of years younger and while he may not have quite the pace he once had, there's no indication that his legs are failing him. He has only played sporadically this season (three starts in the Champions League and five in the Premier League), but he has played at a high level defensively in those games. Presumably, if Arsenal is interested, they'll do a better job of scouting than they did with Lichtsteiner (who I'm still glad joined up for a year).

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
To be fair, the trouble with Lichtsteiner is that his legs are gone. Unfortunately, Stephan's game has always been built on his pace, energy, hard work and tactical awareness. He's always been prone to be overly aggressive and subject to defensive errors, but his legs no longer allow him to overcome that.

Valencia is a couple of years younger and while he may not have quite the pace he once had, there's no indication that his legs are failing him. He has only played sporadically this season (three starts in the Champions League and five in the Premier League), but he has played at a high level defensively in those games. Presumably, if Arsenal is interested, they'll do a better job of scouting than they did with Lichtsteiner (who I'm still glad joined up for a year).

I hear all that but answer me this. Do you really think United would be getting rid of him if he was of any use?

Another question.

Do you think United's back line is full of stalwart defenders who are the best of the best? If the answer is no, why has Valencia made so few starts?

This isn't like getting an Özil or Robben from Real Madrid. Valencia is done mate and chances are his father is just using our name to drive up interest.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I hear all that but answer me this. Do you really think United would be getting rid of him if he was of any use?

Another question.

Do you think United's back line is full of stalwart defenders who are the best of the best? If the answer is no, why has Valencia made so few starts?

This isn't like getting an Özil or Robben from Real Madrid. Valencia is done mate and chances are his father is just using our name to drive up interest.

One reason he hasn't played much lately is because he's been out with an injury since early February. That makes it kind of hard to get into the lineup. But he two very good games against Valencia in the Champions League group stage and was pretty good against Newcastle just before the injury. He can still play at a pretty high level, even if he can't play all the time.

But his contract is running out. That doesn't mean he can't still be a useful player. He just happens to be playing behind Ashley Young, who is mostly playing on the right now that Luke Shaw is healthy. People are way too quick to proclaim that certain players are "done" just because they're not playing as much. People said the same thing about Zabaleta when he left Manchester City, but he's been an excellent signing for West Ham (I wish Arsenal had him right now).

If Arsenal wants to sign Valencia, they won't be signing him to build the frickin' team around him. They'll be signing him to back up Maitland-Niles while they wait on Bellerin to get healthy. There's no reason he can't be a valuable player in that sort of role if they sign him for a season as they did Lichtsteiner.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
One reason he hasn't played much lately is because he's been out with an injury since early February. That makes it kind of hard to get into the lineup. But he two very good games against Valencia in the Champions League group stage and was pretty good against Newcastle just before the injury. He can still play at a pretty high level, even if he can't play all the time.

But his contract is running out. That doesn't mean he can't still be a useful player. He just happens to be playing behind Ashley Young, who is mostly playing on the right now that Luke Shaw is healthy. People are way too quick to proclaim that certain players are "done" just because they're not playing as much. People said the same thing about Zabaleta when he left Manchester City, but he's been an excellent signing for West Ham (I wish Arsenal had him right now).

If Arsenal wants to sign Valencia, they won't be signing him to build the frickin' team around him. They'll be signing him to back up Maitland-Niles while they wait on Bellerin to get healthy. There's no reason he can't be a valuable player in that sort of role if they sign him for a season as they did Lichtsteiner.

So he's coming to the last stage of his career and he's injury prone.

An inability to get into the team ahead of Ashley Young of all people isn't a glowing endorsement.

Sure, an excellent signing for West Ham, a team in 9th position who have conceded 46 goals.

Did I say they would build the team around Valencia? He just isn't good enough to be a backup.

I'm sorry but this is the same sort of rationale that people used to defend Silvestre, Squillaci, Lichsteiner and every other over the hill defender we signed as squad filler. They just weren't good enough and neither is Valencia. I can guarantee you if he was of any use that United wouldn't be letting him go so easily.

We can do better.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
So he's coming to the last stage of his career and he's injury prone.

An inability to get into the team ahead of Ashley Young of all people isn't a glowing endorsement.

Sure, an excellent signing for West Ham, a team in 9th position who have conceded 46 goals.

Did I say they would build the team around Valencia? He just isn't good enough to be a backup.

I'm sorry but this is the same sort of rationale that people used to defend Silvestre, Squillaci, Lichsteiner and every other over the hill defender we signed as squad filler. They just weren't good enough and neither is Valencia. I can guarantee you if he was of any use that United wouldn't be letting him go so easily.

We can do better.

Well of course Arsenal can do better. But can Arsenal do better as a veteran option to back up at right-back on a short-term basis and on a free transfer, leaving funds for positions where long-term upgrades are vital?

I mean, Arsenal could give Bayern £90 million for Kimmich, but that's not what Arsenal needs. They need somebody who can back up Maitland-Niles until Bellerin gets back. Not everyone on your team has to be a galactico. You need bit players sometimes as well.

So who are you going to get that leaves maximum funds for things such as center backs, left backs and wingers? Darmian is available, but he's behind Valencia in the pecking order at United (and probably going back to Serie A). Dani Alves may or may not be available (depending on conflicting reports about an extension with PSG), but if he goes anywhere as a backup or part-time player it's going to be someplace where he thinks he has a chance to win the Champions League. Do you want to extend Lichtsteiner? Depend on Jenkinson?

Manchester United wants to bring in a long-term right back such as Wan-Bissaka or Davide Calabria. That makes Valencia expendable. It doesn't mean he's worthless.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Well of course Arsenal can do better. But can Arsenal do better as a veteran option to back up at right-back on a short-term basis and on a free transfer, leaving funds for positions where long-term upgrades are vital?

I mean, Arsenal could give Bayern £90 million for Kimmich, but that's not what Arsenal needs. They need somebody who can back up Maitland-Niles until Bellerin gets back. Not everyone on your team has to be a galactico. You need bit players sometimes as well.

So who are you going to get that leaves maximum funds for things such as center backs, left backs and wingers? Darmian is available, but he's behind Valencia in the pecking order at United (and probably going back to Serie A). Dani Alves may or may not be available (depending on conflicting reports about an extension with PSG), but if he goes anywhere as a backup or part-time player it's going to be someplace where he thinks he has a chance to win the Champions League. Do you want to extend Lichtsteiner? Depend on Jenkinson?

Manchester United wants to bring in a long-term right back such as Wan-Bissaka or Davide Calabria. That makes Valencia expendable. It doesn't mean he's worthless.

When did I say we should buy Kimmich for 90 million? When did I say that everyone has to be a galactico?

It isn't some binary choice between Valencia and depending on Lichsteiner or Jenkinson. There are also more right backs out there than Darmian and Dani Alves. Give me Steve Morrow's salary and our scouting network and I will find a right back.

Again, just because we need a backup or bit part-time player, does NOT mean that Valencia is the guy to do it.

This is what trips up so many of our fan base because we aren't scouts or football agents so when the club is linked to the mediocre player of the week for a particular position, fans start to think it's him or no one.

There are more right backs out there than Antonio Valencia, who will come in on far lower wages than what Valencia would demand. If the club can't find just ONE of those right backs then they aren't looking hard enough.

Sometimes I feel like having all of this money (relative to the rest of the football world) is detrimental to our scouting. Why search high and low for a right back when you get a call from Juventus telling you that Lichsteiner is available? Or Valencia's dad is telling you his son is available in the papers. If we were a Hoffenheim or Calgari, bet your left toe we would find a competent right back from somewhere.

Top Bottom