• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Antonio Valencia

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
There are also more right backs out there than Darmian and Dani Alves.

Name some. I mean name some who are free or practically free, experienced and could be available to fill the Lichtsteiner role in the short term and who are better than Valencia (who actually has graded out pretty decently from an analytic standpoint in the games he's played).

I don't know if Arsenal is interested in Valencia and frankly I don't care. But if they decide to pursue him as a cheap stopgap while Bellerin is recuperating, I find it hard to fathom why anyone would be so adamantly against it. So if you want to convince me there are better options -- not better players, but better options taking all of availability, cost and role into account -- then it's time you name some. Otherwise, why not just wait and see what they do?

Apparently, according to reports today, they're taking with Lichtsteiner about an extension, but he may want to go where he can play regularly. So we're not talking about needing the second coming of Carlos Alberto here.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Name some. I mean name some who are free or practically free, experienced and could be available to fill the Lichtsteiner role in the short term and who are better than Valencia (who actually has graded out pretty decently from an analytic standpoint in the games he's played).

I don't know if Arsenal is interested in Valencia and frankly I don't care. But if they decide to pursue him as a cheap stopgap while Bellerin is recuperating, I find it hard to fathom why anyone would be so adamantly against it. So if you want to convince me there are better options -- not better players, but better options taking all of availability, cost and role into account -- then it's time you name some. Otherwise, why not just wait and see what they do?

Apparently, according to reports today, they're taking with Lichtsteiner about an extension, but he may want to go where he can play regularly. So we're not talking about needing the second coming of Carlos Alberto here.

I find it hard to fathom why anyone would be so in favour of it.

Do you realize that the type of player you described isn't the only one we could buy? The club could sign someone younger to compete with Bellerin.

I also never said that we need Carlos Alberto. I just know that Valencia isn't what we need

I'm not a scout, it isn't my job to scour the leagues in Europe to find a right back under the very restrictive and specific parameters you described.

However, the club does employ scouts and pay them to do the same. If the best they can come up with is Antonio Valencia then I would tell them to go out and look again.

A quick google search would net you a few right backs over the age of 30. Juanfran from Atletico, Pizczek, Seamus Coleman is only 30 and would cost a bit. However, like I said I'm not a scout.

It isn't Antonio Valencia or no one, that is all I'm saying.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I find it hard to fathom why anyone would be so in favour of it.

Do you realize that the type of player you described isn't the only one we could buy? The club could sign someone younger to compete with Bellerin.

I also never said that we need Carlos Alberto. I just know that Valencia isn't what we need

I'm not a scout, it isn't my job to scour the leagues in Europe to find a right back under the very restrictive and specific parameters you described.

However, the club does employ scouts and pay them to do the same. If the best they can come up with is Antonio Valencia then I would tell them to go out and look again.

A quick google search would net you a few right backs over the age of 30. Juanfran from Atletico, Pizczek, Seamus Coleman is only 30 and would cost a bit. However, like I said I'm not a scout.

It isn't Antonio Valencia or no one, that is all I'm saying.

Obviously you didn't even read what I said because I clearly said that I didn't care whether they sign Antonio Valencia or not. I merely said I could understand the reasons they might want to do so and that it could make some sense.

But you did strike on one very important point -- you are not a scout. And another -- Arsenal has scouts. Their scouts watch players throughout the Premier League and across Europe. So if they scout Antonio Valencia and decide he would be a good fit for a backup role for one season and if Arsenal decides that the lack of a transfer fee makes bringing him in to replace Lichtsteiner an attractive proposition within the club's financial parameters and if Valencia is open to such an offer, why would you think that you know better than Arsenal's scouts?

Basically what you've just said is that you want Arsenal to comb through the leagues of Europe and find somebody you've never heard of because you don't like Antonio Valencia.

And yes, they could sign somebody younger. But somebody younger will either cost a lot of money that can be better spent in areas of far bigger need or not have the experience to do the club a damn bit of good in 2019-20. Probably both.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Obviously you didn't even read what I said because I clearly said that I didn't care whether they sign Antonio Valencia or not. I merely said I could understand the reasons they might want to do so and that it could make some sense.

But you did strike on one very important point -- you are not a scout. And another -- Arsenal has scouts. Their scouts watch players throughout the Premier League and across Europe. So if they scout Antonio Valencia and decide he would be a good fit for a backup role for one season and if Arsenal decides that the lack of a transfer fee makes bringing him in to replace Lichtsteiner an attractive proposition within the club's financial parameters and if Valencia is open to such an offer, why would you think that you know better than Arsenal's scouts?

Basically what you've just said is that you want Arsenal to comb through the leagues of Europe and find somebody you've never heard of because you don't like Antonio Valencia.

And yes, they could sign somebody younger. But somebody younger will either cost a lot of money that can be better spent in areas of far bigger need or not have the experience to do the club a damn bit of good in 2019-20. Probably both.

Our scouts are NOT infallible.

Do I need to list all of the flops that we've signed over the years who our scouts deemed good enough?

France had an absolute Golden Generation come through and who did our scouts find for us? Yaya Sanogo

I didn't say that, I said I want them to scout and find someone BETTER than Antonio Valencia. Even though I know they aren't perfect, I expect them to be able to do that much.

Last edited:

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
I dont think buying young talented RB would be a best deal. Bellerin is untouchable. why not have a ready replacement for him, while Tutu and Daley continue their progress to become that talented RB who is going to take over the backup position in a year, hopefully, or 2

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
Embarrassing. We’ve become a dump really, when players become unwanted at top clubs, they come here and stink the place out, the trend is there, hope we don’t make the same mistakes again.

we signed Valencia? I can't find it on afc.com

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
Might dawn on some of you guys soon that AMN is the back up right back. This is not needed.

Reactions: Jae

Latest posts

Top Bottom