• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,736
  • Views 1,149,821

arsenefc

Obsessed With Guendouzi
this is why you have to play the kids in Carabao and Europa ... We offer players chances and thats a major reason why we can hold on to them. Its been one of the joys of following Arsenal, seeing a young un step up and grow. This season the growth of AMN has been so lovely to see.

Trophies are all fine....but now in hindsight, dont we remember the days of the kids fondly?

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
PRECISELY!

I think a couple of problem positions for us going forward will be LB and CB. We have promising CBs but I still think a more dominant CB in his mid 20s. LB we don't have anyone ready to take over from Monreal and surge past Kolasinac.

But the forward positions we can potentially sacrifice because we have some serious talent there. I'd probably only bring in one winger if possible and then sell one of Iwobi/Mhkitaryan or loan Amaechi/Saka with new deals in tow. I think with some more trust and senior appearance, we'll see them thrive eventually.

Much will depend on who's driving the recruitment policy. If it's Emery, I can see a lot of experienced signings, which might get us results in the short term, but may affect us long term. This is why the Sporting Director is such a pertinent topic of interest despite it seeming a benign position. It's important we shift focus towards relatively young talents on the cusp of greatness with the odd big deal here and there, and leave the squad roles to our Hale End crop. Building that type of squad will set us up nicely for the near future IMO.

Yepp, as many of us already reiterated, we should focus on the defensive side of the team with all/close to all money we have at our disposal whilst adding some sugar to an already potent attack with incredibly talented youngster already at our club.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Seriously. If young players leave Arsenal now because of 'lack of opportunities' then they are being ill advised. If they look at Sancho and think, that can be me, then they are taking a massive risk by leaving us. You get opportunities at Arsenal if you are good enough. You have to be the right age and more often then not we tend to get it right when we give them the opportunities.

I am all for Saka and Amaechi getting their chance, but they are still very young and can wait a little longer till they get their shot. They may not need loans due to their physicality, but they only need to look at who is currently getting game time to know that if they get their head down and work hard, they should be a first team regular within the next 3 years.

Bellerin, Holding, Guendouzi, Iwobi and Maitland-Niles. Thats 5 young players we trust. Nelson is the next in line and if it goes to plan, Willock, Smith-rowe, Nketiah, Saka and Amaechi will come through right after.

Tom349

Didn't realise how smooth Greenwood is on the ball, has that low centre of gravity that gives him good control whilst changing direction and hard to push him off the ball at the same time. We really do have a great crop of young talent coming through at the moment, which makes me think we should target an experienced wingman and give these younger players an opportunity with the hope of eventually replacing whomever we buy.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
The Daily Mail's "secret scout" takes a look at Amaechi.

“I wanted to see him get his head up and play combinations and I also wanted to see a more regular change of pace from a casual stride to really fast acceleration.”
“I am not sure how much guile and creativity he currently has but in his age group he is a threat to any full back with his power and pace.”

Maybe he should learn from Matt Smith.

Last edited:

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Didn't realise how smooth Greenwood is on the ball, has that low centre of gravity that gives him good control whilst changing direction and hard to push him off the ball at the same time. We really do have a great crop of young talent coming through at the moment, which makes me think we should target an experienced wingman and give these younger players an opportunity with the hope of eventually replacing whomever we buy.
Sam Greenwood's a very interesting talent indeed - picked him up from Sunderland's academy and looked part of the fabric the moment he stepped on the pitch for us. Real technical talent at our disposal. Obviously hell of a lot has to happen for his progression into a first team capacity, but he's a versatile presence in the attack due to his dribbling and technique - and he's a good finisher. Takes a mean free kick aswell. Will be interesting to see how he moves up to U23s.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Had an opportunity to watch the highlights of the Al Nasr game. J0hn-Jules impressed the most of the maiden call-ups. It's fascinating to me how the ones without the constant fanfare take their opportunities so well. Worked really hard when he came on, and took his goal really well.

Eduardo_da_Silva

I hoped amaechi would use his minutes better. You can see all the tools, but it seemed to me as if he wanted so badly to show some moves. Still, he should have played more than 45.

Sheaf was hot.and cold, some very good passes but also some sloppy ones.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I hoped amaechi would use his minutes better. You can see all the tools, but it seemed to me as if he wanted so badly to show some moves. Still, he should have played more than 45.

Sheaf was hot.and cold, some very good passes but also some sloppy ones.
Amaechi has all the tools. Just needs to put it together now. Has done exceedingly well at U23 level - this test was exactly what I wanted to see. A completely nothing match where the onus was on to make an impression. Showed some glimpses but didn't quite make the impact he would have liked. He played a decent part in the equalizer though and he'll definitely take that one to the bank. Hopefully there'll be more opportunities on the horizon.

As for Sheaf, doesn't seem to have kicked on. The injuries have definitely stalled him. Always liked him as a player - still do - but think for all parties, a sale would be best IMO.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Seriously. If young players leave Arsenal now because of 'lack of opportunities' then they are being ill advised. If they look at Sancho and think, that can be me, then they are taking a massive risk by leaving us. You get opportunities at Arsenal if you are good enough. You have to be the right age and more often then not we tend to get it right when we give them the opportunities.

I am all for Saka and Amaechi getting their chance, but they are still very young and can wait a little longer till they get their shot. They may not need loans due to their physicality, but they only need to look at who is currently getting game time to know that if they get their head down and work hard, they should be a first team regular within the next 3 years.

Bellerin, Holding, Guendouzi, Iwobi and Maitland-Niles. Thats 5 young players we trust. Nelson is the next in line and if it goes to plan, Willock, Smith-rowe, Nketiah, Saka and Amaechi will come through right after.
Each player is different but a blanket protecting of all young players from competitive football until they're in their twenties is a mistake. Many top, top talents have broken through in their teens.

Football is no longer a long strategic campaign. Which is why Pochettino's "10 years to win the title" was such a stupid remark, There isn't a single Spuds player playing now who will be with them in 10 years. Everyone is eyeing everyone else's players and if a young player feels he isn't being given a chance to shine he will go where he might. The lower divisions are littered with the Hoytes and Simpsons of this world and, frankly, the difference between a lifetime in the top division and a journeyman career sometimes boils down to being in the right place at the right time. It isn't always just about quality, even the top half of the table teams sometimes have a few players who are far from top quality but they have the experience of belonging there.

It's also worth pointing out how the narrative can change when a player gets a chance. For example, consensus on this forum at the beginning of the season (not shared by me)was that Holding was a lump we should get rid of. A string of good performances and suddenly everyone's pining for him to get back. That could have been Nketiah or Smith-Rowe if they'd got the chance. We may never know.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
https://www.football.london/arsenal-fc/keep-sell-loan-arsenals-brightest-16034326

Interesting article from James Benge here, outlining what he believes will happen for some youngsters in the Summer. Think I would say it's mostly accurate - although I would likely not sanction a sale of Trae Coyle just yet. He does have a significant amount of competition but he's still one of our better technical talents.

Also interesting to see Bukayo Saka is still talked about as becoming a left back long term. I don't doubt he has the potential to be absolutely top class in the position, the more I see him as an attacker makes it difficult to deny him a left wing berth. In any event, a loan would be slightly more useful as he's not got a lot more to prove at U23 level, and probably won't be trusted to play LB by Emery anyway.

Saka, Amaechi, Nketiah, Willock and arguably Smith-Rowe should all be going on loan. Nelson is the only one I'd say to keep out of that lot. Osei-Tutu should go on loan too.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
I just hope we don't pull a Chelsea with these kids. Or a Real Madrid, who were the original purveyors of letting young promising talent leave for nothing (Etoo, Cambiasso, Saul, Juanfran and even Marcos Alonso).

It isn't like we're 1 point off of the leaders and routinely make the CL final so I'm not sure who exactly in our team should block any of our youngsters from getting at least 1 premier league start.

Saka, Amaechi, Nketiah, Willock and arguably Smith-Rowe should all be going on loan. Nelson is the only one I'd say to keep out of that lot. Osei-Tutu should go on loan too.

lal if only one of these players get trust to be part of the squad next season. :lol::rofl:

But yeah if Emery don't trust them they need to start thinking about their next step. Loan or transfer.

nick gould

lal if only one of these players get trust to be part of the squad next season. :lol::rofl:

But yeah if Emery don't trust them they need to start thinking about their next step. Loan or transfer.
You don't get it. It's Emery's first season. He needs to secure top 4 first and gain trust of the fans, board and the media in this country. Then he can have a bit of leeway. As things stand, the aforementioned stakeholders could easily turn against and he could find himself in the unenviable position that Sari is in.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
You don't get it. It's Emery's first season. He needs to secure top 4 first and gain trust of the fans, board and the media in this country. Then he can have a bit of leeway. As things stand, the aforementioned stakeholders could easily turn against and he could find himself in the unenviable position that Sari is in.
While I understand your argument, Sarri isn't a great example - part of his downfall is his inertia in playing Chelsea youth. Hudson-Odoi's still trying to leave as a result despite being in better form than Pedro or Willian and not starting enough! Maybe things would be different if he was.

Don't want Emery making same mistakes.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom