• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Technical Director Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
lol ffs I knew I was remembering properly about this guy being absolutely loathed. I think Raul was the only one of their directors from that period that came with his reputation relatively intact. Though it doesn't seem like he's done too bad of a job at Marseille, but even their fans are not fussed about him leaving.

Tbf he did buy Song and that clown Vermaelen from us for 15mil a piece, so he's helped us out in the past. Maybe this could just be a way for us to repay him.

Reactions: A_G

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
According to this, Arsène Wenger is advising the Kroenkes on the technical director search and giving his support to Zubizarreta. I think.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Don't like Sanllehi amassing his buddy chorps. It just looks like we're not after pedigree but just that Raul is flipping through his contacts, making calls waiting for someone to not turn him down.

Seriously disappointed with these shenanigans and not in the slightest impressed by any ex-Barca executives, bar maybe Begiristain - but then again he too has always operated in the stratosphere of money doesn't matter.

Thinking the Gazidis -> Sanllehi swap didn't have a lot of upside in hindsight and I just hope his apparent style of doing things - grown in the biotope of bullish FC Barcelona - won't affect Arsenal too much. This is a different club with a different history, different values, different financial situation, different sporting situation. You can't just try and do it all your Barca way. I seriously can't stand this fat, greasy mug.

Last edited:

Sammy1887

New Year, Same Hate For Reed
Don't like Sanllehi amassing his buddy chorps. It just looks like we're not after pedigree but just that Raul is flipping through his contacts, making calls waiting for someone to not turn him down.

Seriously disappointed with these shenanigans and not in the slightest impressed by any ex-Barca executives, bar maybe Begiristain - but then again he too has always operated in the stratosphere of money doesn't matter.

Thinking the Gazidis -> Sanllehi swap didn't have a lot of upside in hindsight and I just hope his apparent style of doing things - grown in the biotope of bullish FC Barcelona - won't affect Arsenal too much. This is a different club with a different history, different values, different financial situation, different sporting situation. You can't just try and do it all your Barca way. I seriously can't stand this fat, greasy mug.

I won't mind you as a Technical Director (no joke).

Toby

Tbh, right now it's hard to tell what's going on behind closed doors. Now that the guys Arsenal was confirmedly interested in - Monchi and Edu - are off the table, the reports feel a bit like namedropping. I haven't heard super serious links to any other guys. Apparently Overmars wasn't as much in the running as we on here speculated.

Nowadays the press can't just not report, they have to churn out stuff. So if you're low on information on Arsenal's TD search, who are you gonna link the club to? Of course to people who have links to the current leadership. So in a way this could all be a lot of hot air by the press, while something completely different goes on in the office. On the other hand there's so many people working in football and at clubs, and sports reporters do have their intel, so there might be some truth to what's said about the TD candidates. Can't really be sure.

Then again the stuff that came out about the Sanllehi/Mislintat split and their respective approaches to signing players, with it being highlighted that Sanllehi believes in an oldschool way of operating based on personal contacts in his notebook and an executive network, the candidates named by the press are of course the easiest possible guys to link Arsenal to, but at the same time it feels in line with what's known about Sanllehi's modus operandi. So it could all still turn out to be rather speculative, but if it turns out to be true I would be disappointed because I feel it's not a very progressive way to do things and highly interesting options won't have been looked at just because Raul doesn't have their number.

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
According to this, Arsène Wenger is advising the Kroenkes on the technical director search and giving his support to Zubizarreta. I think.

Since his arrival, the Ligue 1 side have signed 20 players including Dimitri Payet (£18m), Valere Fermain (£7.2m), Florian Thauvin (£45m), Morgan Sanson (£22.5m), and Mario Balotelli (£18m).
What's up with the prices there is it meant to be their market value? Because some of them at least are wrong like Balotelli who was on a free. Not a bad collection of players though since most of them have worked out alright, specially Thauvin.

Toby

What's up with the prices there is it meant to be their market value? Because some of them at least are wrong like Balotelli who was on a free. Not a bad collection of players though since most of them have worked out alright, specially Thauvin.

Almost anyone can have a decent transfer pedigree over a certain time frame. It's much more insightful to look at structures implemented (e.g. how did the youth team do, how many youth players made it, infrastructure development, overall squad quality development, league position development, choice of managers, backroom staff appointments etc.) than to just look at singled out transfers. Like you have to answer question like: is there an overall strategy, are there patterns, what's the footballing idea, where is the club heading, stability, cohesion, consistency, the ability to adhere to the path taken, etc. etc. These are much more important overall questions than looking at lists of "the top 5 transfers" of DoFs.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist

I would assume it is their current market value. I know they didn't pay that much for them. But yeah, they've brought in some good ones for sure.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
The guy was at barca until last summer for 3 season made 12 signing for 400M euros here it'll be totally different for him

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom