• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ryan Fraser

Malky

Established Member
What you want us to buy with 70M budget? I'll be interested to hear your options
We were lead to believe that the Emirates, once the debt was paid off (around 4 years ago), would see us go onto challenge the elite clubs for the best players, yet here we are in 2019 with £70M to spend and Ryan Fraser as our top attacking target.
Think that's what @GDeep™ is alluding to.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
We were lead to believe that the Emirates, once the debt was paid off (around 4 years ago), would see us go onto challenge the elite clubs for the best players, yet here we are in 2019 with £70M to spend and Ryan Fraser as our top attacking target.
I know but tell that to kroenke who need to be more ambitious

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
With CL money have to think more than 70m.

We spent 70m last summer after going huge in Jan, paying off all the staff let go & without CL.

Malky

Established Member
I know but tell that to kroenke who need to be more ambitious
Unfortunately Kronke's the problem.
Nothing against Ryan Fraser, I actually really like him since he's a fellow Scottish lad - he's a good player having an impressive season, but for where we want to be, and the teams we want to rival, we should be aiming higher. Take City or Liverpool, for example, they sign Fraser and he would be lucky to get any proper playing time other than the odd League/FA cup games, but we sign him and he'd likely be a starter here, given our current options.
Pains me saying some of that as I'd love to see a Scottish lad at Arsenal.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
If he joins as A Welneck replacement then fine. If he's here as our main signing of the summer then there is a huge problem.

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
so how about we talk about him as a player, not what would his signing mean in this scenario or that scenario, cause it's pure guessing.

I am interested in hearing opinions on him, not just ''good cross good engine' followed by 10 minute read about pur last summer, summer before, summer afterz liverpool this, city that...

Jae

Take City or Liverpool, for example, they sign Fraser and he would be lucky to get any proper playing time other than the odd League/FA cup games, but we sign him and he'd likely be a starter here, given our current options.

People said that about players like Robertson, Wijnaldum and Henderson - all were signed from relegation fodder clubs but they are mainstays of this first team and all get regular gametime. Robertson and Wijnaldum in particular have been excellent for Liverpool.

Our problem as Arsenal is. In the past 10 years every other top club in the prem has invested and improved (no matter how little that investment is) and we've just been stood still.

We need to be looking at the looking at Liverpool's example. Shrewd business and small upgrades little by little over time will see us get there eventually. We don't have the budget of United, City or Chelsea.

I think we need a new starting CB as a priority but I for one would be more than happy to have a player like Fraser in our team for the right price.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
or Liverpool, for example, they sign Fraser and he would be lucky to get any proper playing time other than the odd League/FA cup games

Liverpool have made great use of signings like Fraser. They got e.g. Milner as a very useful option around. Think Henderson is in the same category, Shaqiri, too. Fraser clearly shouldn't be a starting option but for a reasonable fee as a solid option for run of the mill games he's a great option, I think. Rather have him on the bench than no winger at all.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Fraser would walk straight into our team now. I expect us to focus on defence in the summer, CB, RB, LB so Fraser would be a great addition. RB is a must, on par or better than Bellerin. Kola is not good enough as a defender so LB also important. Don't forget the £70m being mentioned is pure guess work, CL would have an effect, also a number of salaries being saved on those out of contract will help. 7 or 8 out and 3 or 4 in is required.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
There's no way we are going to spend on all needed positions this summer, which depresses me.

We need starting LB, competition RB, world class CB, powerhouse CM, world class wide forward, backup GK.

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
I think Robertson is a decent barometer here and not just because they are both Scottish.
Imagine the moaning if we had gone for a player relegated with Hull yet how many given the benefit of hindsight would take him now for £5m or whatever it was?

I would call it snobbery but we got a bloke from Barcelona and people still moaned so...
I think the key thing with this is price, we need wide players with pace desperately, if he is good value and we could still get some other more high profile additions then I'm all for it.
He has a year left so should be cheapish if we can turn his head, him and a higher profile winger, Pavon, Zaha, Lozano etc and we would at least avoid static playmakers on the wing like at the weekend.
Even if he didn't work out we would sell him to West Ham, Everton etc for a profit, Liverpool, Chelsea and Sp**s make these sort of signings regularly.

Blame Wenger for leaving behind a squad with literally no natural wide players .

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Blame Wenger for leaving behind a squad with literally no natural wide players .

I still don't get why Arsène never had respect for the wide positions, he'd always play midfielders, strikers or even sometimes fullbacks there. Now we have nothing out wide and two strikers that cost us over 100 million.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

The debt isnt paid off.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
There's some talk about Brandt being available for 25m. If thats true then he should be our first port of call. But if he elects to go somewhere else, Fraser would be a decent addition without entirely closing the door on Nelson, ESR and co.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

There's no way we are going to spend on all needed positions this summer, which depresses me.

We need starting LB, competition RB, world class CB, powerhouse CM, world class wide forward, backup GK.

Need them for what?

If we can get Champions League we can try and aim to get back there regularly.

We haven’t got 200M to spend to turn us into immediate title challengers, everyone knew this would be a long term project.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
There's some talk about Brandt being available for 25m. If thats true then he should be our first port of call. But if he elects to go somewhere else, Fraser would be a decent addition without entirely closing the door on Nelson, ESR and co.

Fraser and Brandt would be decent business for the wings this summer, I think. Fraser is as solid as they come and Brandt is in Havertz's shadow a little, but he's been nothing but fantastic, too, with 7 goals and 14 assists in 37 games. Without that clause he's going for 40 to 60m. Thing is, I'm almost certain he'll end up at Bayern - they won't be able to resist signing a young, German international on such a low clause especially as they could do with two wingers as once Robbery are gone in the summer, they're down to Gnabry and Coman.

With Nelson I honestly don't get the hype. Of course he's got bags of talent, but in all fairness despite 6 goals early in the season he hasn't shown anything that makes me think he could have any sort of impact at Arsenal yet. He's got a lot to learn regarding movement, workrate, perception and how to take part in a game of top flier football. He needs another loan. E.g. if Arsenal move for Brandt, I'd try to include a Nelson loan to Leverkusen. Gladbach, Leipzig, Bremen could all be neat destinations for another BL loan.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Can’t keep blaming Wenger for everything, Emery has had two transfer windows now and he himself signed Suarez in January.

BobP

Memri Fan
With Nelson I honestly don't get the hype. Of course he's got bags of talent, but in all fairness despite 6 goals early in the season he hasn't shown anything that makes me think he could have any sort of impact at Arsenal yet. He's got a lot to learn regarding movement, workrate, perception and how to take part in a game of top flier football. He needs another loan. E.g. if Arsenal move for Brandt, I'd try to include a Nelson loan to Leverkusen. Gladbach, Leipzig, Bremen could all be neat destinations for another BL loan.

Bit harsh I think.

Nelson turned 19 4-5 months ago. A comparable player in Gnabry didn't really hit his stride until his move to Bremen at the age of 21 and even then he was a bit hot and cold. Factor in that Nelson is away from home comforts and in a foreign country and things don't look all that bad. He'll be better for this experience.

Depending on ins and out, I'd like to see him on loan at Bremen next season.

Top Bottom