• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Which positions would you target?

Which positions do you target? (Maximum of 3)

• GK

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LB

Votes: 66 61.1%
  • CB

Votes: 70 64.8%
  • CB

Votes: 21 19.4%
  • RB

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • Attacking CM

Votes: 32 29.6%
  • Winger

Votes: 69 63.9%
  • Winger

Votes: 27 25.0%
  • Number 10

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • CF

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

say yes

forum master baiter
Imagine you’re appointed Arsenal’s technical director and are tasked with improving our squad this summer.

What positions do you target and in which order? Going to be optimistic and say we can sign 3 first team players.

My priorities would be:

1. LB
2. Winger
3. Attacking CM
4. CB
5. Another winger

CB might look low given our lack of quality there but we’ve got the numbers. Whereas we literally done have any wingers in the squad / any LB capable of playing in a back 4.

BobP

Memri Fan
My priorities would be:

1. LB
2. Winger
3. Attacking CM
4. CB
5. Another winger

CB might look low given our lack of quality there but we’ve got the numbers. Whereas we literally done have any wingers in the squad / any LB capable of playing in a back 4.

Agree with that except I'd switch 1 & 4.

Our two best CBs, Sokratis and Koscielny, are turning 31 and 34 respectively this year. You then have that Albanian donkey, Holding who's recovering from a serious injury, and Mavropanos who hasn't had a look-in this season.

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
Hopefully if AMN keeps up this form so we won't have to sign a first team RB otherwise that would priority. A back up GK to replace Cech is needed too unless Martinez is given the chance.

1.RB
2. back up GK
3. CB

Last edited:

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
What positions do you target and in which order? Going to be optimistic and say we can sign 3 first team players.
That's actually pessimistic to me, all of Leno/Sokratis/Torreira/Guendouzi have contributed this season so signing a similar number of impact players is certainly possible imo. But for the sake of argument if it was only 3 signings possible I'd go CB-LB-AM. Think getting the first two is important so that Emery will have enough defenders he trusts to play a back 4 most of the time, and obviously replacing Ramsey is going to be huge. As much as I'd like a winger, there are youngsters at the club who could potentially make a difference given the opportunity so not signing a player in that position wouldn't be the end of the world. And although a wide player would certainly add something to the attack, we're still the 3rd highest scorers in the league so it's not as glaring a need as defensive reinforcements.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
2 wingers ramsey replacement quality CB and backup RB that's should be our major target in summer.

We can't go next season without width is unacceptable we can't keep playing mkhi and Iwobi they not good enough

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
I don't think we should make anymore signings just for the sake of "This is a position where we need to improve" and rather look at players that are available that can take us to a new level. Even though we don't technically need a starting RB, because of Bellerin that doesn't mean we should ignore someone like Wan-Bissaka who can improve us massively. This is one example but you can make a case like this for almost any position.

I'd say, sign the right players that Emery wants, and let him work out a system. We're lucky that we have a versatile manager who is not stuck on just one system.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I picked two - LB and CB.

I think we need a real imposing presence at CB, someone both physical and cerebral, with quality on the ball. If we want to get high up in the echelons of European football, we'll need one - and we'll have to get creative to do it.

For me though, LB is the biggest problem position. Even in a back 3 with wing backs, Kolasinac is not a very secure player defensively. He's good at using his strength 1v1 but his positioning is often extremely high up because his strengths are more compatible with going forward. And I actually think his final ball could be a lot better than it is despite how high his numbers are - his attack positioning is the key behind those numbers as it's his biggest strength. Monreal is aging - finding it difficult to deal with a more physical opponent seems to be common for him these days. I don't feel secure with our academy options at LB either, unless Saka is the plan (which I doubt). Therefore, I think signing a LB should be the priority. I'm not quite certain the Ajax LB we've been linked with is the answer though - I'd like someone slightly younger (21-25 range) and more athletic.

I didn't pick winger or attacking CM as much as I think we could do with something different in there. I'm not against it as I feel we need more 1v1 dribblers in the team (dribblers in general really, we're quite one-dimensional in that regard) and Ramsey will be a miss, but I want us to give our academy players in those positions chances, that would be ideal for me.

say yes

forum master baiter
Agree with that except I'd switch 1 & 4.

Our two best CBs, Sokratis and Koscielny, are turning 31 and 34 respectively this year. You then have that Albanian donkey, Holding who's recovering from a serious injury, and Mavropanos who hasn't had a look-in this season.

Honestly think LB is the more important position to fill.

Monreal’s legs have gone and I doubt that Kola is capable of playing in Emery’s preferred 4231 /433 system. We need a modern agile workhorse on the left to match Bellerin on the right. Bit like how Liverpool play with Robertson and Alexander-Arnold.

Signing a competent LB will do so much for the balance of our side (we have no natural width) and effectively improves the CB situation anyway - we only need to play two of them in a back-4 as opposed to three in a back-5.

For example, even if Koulibaly is much the more sought after player, I’d prefer:

Tierney - Sokratis - CB - Bellerin

to

Kola - CB - Sokratis - Koulibaly - Bellerin

CB situation obviously isn’t ideal but I’d survive another season of Sokratis + 1 (of Koscielny, Holding, or Chambers) if it meant that we had the key personnel elsewhere.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
1. CB
2. LB
3. CM
4. Wide forward (lower in priority but higher in spend than CM).
5. Young striker

Hence the excitement when the Umtiti and Alaba rumours first surfaced.

If forced to name names:

ideally - Koulibailly, Alaba, Barella , Zaha
realistically - Umtiti/Maguire, Tierney/Gaya, Herrera, D. costa

Mastercutor

Went with LB, RB and Winger, but needs a replacement for Ramsey too in my book. Depending on what Emery thinks regarding the CB position, I think we could be fine with Holding, Sokratis, Mavropanos, Koscielny and Chambers, (if he's not sold). I think we look rather decent for the moment. I do hope that Mustafi will be shipped somewhere though. And I'd like to see what Medley and Plezeguelo could do as well, if they will be moved to the first team.

benjamin86

Established Member
An elite CB at the level of Adams, Bould or Campbell would make the biggest difference for us, failing that a top B2B to replace Ramsey.

(i dream of us conceding less than 30 goals in a season)

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
We don't have any defenders in the U-23s, so we need to buy.

LB,CB: Buy

CM/CDM: Buy

CAM,Wingers: Promote

Top Bottom