• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Reiss Nelson: Time to Shine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenTal

Player:Zinchenko
It is not just about statistics. Probably, Iniesta has the worst assist, key pass, and goal stats compared to any other CM in Europe. Nevertheless, his contributions in Barca were phenomenal!
Or just look at Gervinho (and maybe his counter part Pepe). He scored and assisted in farmer's league, but there was a big question mark on his performance in EPL.
What worries me is Nelson's impact in Hoffenheim, which was unfortunately marginal so far. If he played with Guendouzi's level, I was confident about his potentials. Now, it is still 50-50 for me, and I am eager to loan him again for the next season.

Tom349

Was an OK cameo. Did not do much on the ball - few touches. His movement however was very, very good. It is a shame he wasn't picked out more often in the time he was on. They had about 4 more opportunities to play him in.

Encouraging that he got the goal, hopefully he can finish the season strong.

So like every other game he has played for that **** show of a team. The fact that Nelson has scored as much as he has is very promising given that is often the hardest part of a young players game to translate. The ability to link and take players on is generally the easy part which his lack of integrating with his team mates is in my opinion a reflection of his team mates more so than it is of Reiss. Yes he could be more demanding but in a foreign league and being young that takes time and when players are more interested in looking good than doing the team thing, its no surprise Reiss hasn't been as involved as what we have seen of him when coming through the ranks.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Sancho only got 3 goals more than Nelson and he played more games if Nelson keep his head in the game he can be just like Sancho
Bear in mind that Sancho had a headstart - played for Dortmund (as an attacker, not wingback) the season before and didn't have as big an impact as he had now. Importantly, he also had the trust of the Dortmund coaches. Now, I do think Sancho is the bigger talent overall, but marginally so. Nelson's first season performance-wise is not dissimilar to Sancho last season - where his quality was evident but didn't make the impact he is now making on the Bundesliga.

Nelson does need to keep his head in the game, and not be discouraged - but similarly, he also needs to be trusted more often by his manager and by his teammates too. I would hope he gets that trust and backing here next season. Issue is, he will likely leave Hoffenheim with still a lot to prove. Nonetheless, my preference is that he stays at Arsenal and is trusted with more minutes, as he may not have any visible impact on build-up play but he's an effective attacker with a decent output in very little minutes.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Nelson does need to keep his head in the game, and not be discouraged - but similarly, he also needs to be trusted more often by his manager and by his teammates too. I would hope he gets that trust and backing here next season. Issue is, he will likely leave Hoffenheim with still a lot to prove. Nonetheless, my preference is that he stays at Arsenal and is trusted with more minutes, as he may not have any visible impact on build-up play but he's an effective attacker with a decent output in very little minutes.

I kind of feel a loan might be the best option for him next season because of playing time, but I’m not sure. If we do feel he’s our future winger then giving him minutes here and sticking with him would be best for us. We have a lot more incentive to develop him than a loan team would.

If he stays though, do you see him getting similar chances as Hudson-Odoi has got this season? I’d be happy with that, anything less and he’s better off on loan.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
I feel like if Nelson had been a squad option here in the last few months he would've got game time. There were plenty of moments where the team was crying out for something different, yet all we had on the bench was more of the same. Perhaps if Nelson had still been around we could've given him a chance instead of shoehorning Kolasinac into the side because he was the only real provider of width.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I kind of feel a loan might be the best option for him next season because of playing time, but I’m not sure. If we do feel he’s our future winger then giving him minutes here and sticking with him would be best for us. We have a lot more incentive to develop him than a loan team would.

If he stays though, do you see him getting similar chances as Hudson-Odoi has got this season? I’d be happy with that, anything less and he’s better off on loan.
Hudson-Odoi is an interesting example because the lack of quality from Pedro and Willian this season tells me that he should be playing WAAAAYYY more football than he has been this season. If he's to go back out on loan, its gotta be to a team that's going to play him - a team that needs him. If not, he's better off staying. As Nelson could be returning to a situation where he's the anomaly in the attacking profile at the club. Iwobi and Mhkitaryan have had bright spells but both have a propensity to underperform in their positions. Nelson probably has a better chance usurping them than he did usurping Joelinton and Kramaric at Hoffenheim!

Nelson should be a signal of a change in profile of wide players at Arsenal. Because, like the aforementioned 2 wide players, he is also better drifting central, but he's also a more exciting 1v1 player and appears to have a more consistent end product aswell. He has something that IMO the team needs. He scores goals. I reckon there's more to come from him on the playmaking side too. Someone who can improve our xG, someone reliable with final ball/end product.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I feel like if Nelson had been a squad option here in the last few month he would've got game time. There were plenty of moments where the team was crying out for something different, yet all we had on the bench was more of the same. Perhaps if Nelson had still been around we could've given him a chance instead of shoehorning Kolasinac into the side because he was the only real provider of width.
Precisely my point. Emery wasn't going to trust Bukayo Saka with those minutes. Despite his rawness, Saka's explosive, strong and a menace capable of dribbling and scoring/creating. (Amaechi was injured for a while so didn't mention him). Nelson would have been a good option to have. He should be an option for us next season IMO.

Reactions: A_G

Aevi

Hale End FC
I feel like if Nelson had been a squad option here in the last few months he would've got game time. There were plenty of moments where the team was crying out for something different, yet all we had on the bench was more of the same. Perhaps if Nelson had still been around we could've given him a chance instead of shoehorning Kolasinac into the side because he was the only real provider of width.
I'm not sure about that considering one of our options, Suarez, isn't getting any gametime. Emery seems content with rotating the Laca/Auba/Özil/Mkhi/Iwobi quintet.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
I'm not sure about that considering one of our options, Suarez, isn't getting any gametime. Emery seems content with rotating the Laca/Auba/Özil/Mkhi/Iwobi quintet.
A few months ago when Miki was out for 6 weeks, Özil was AWOL and Suarez hadn't signed yet there was an opening for him imo. Can think of the Brighton, West Ham and BATE games in particular where we had few options on the bench to change things up.

PoleInGoal

Player:Tomiyasu
Unless we buy a winger Nelson should be in the first team next season, purely because he offers something which none of our other players do

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I'd say keep Nelson at the start of next season, and if he doesn't get much time send him on loan in January.
I think perhaps it's better if Nelson went to Championship/Lower table PL than sit on our bench. We can give the minutes to Saka/Ameachi.

We should keep him at AFC if and only if Emery gives him, say, 45 minutes every 3 games.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
I think perhaps it's better if Nelson went to Championship/Lower table PL than sit on our bench. We can give the minutes to Saka/Ameachi.

We should keep him at AFC if and only if Emery gives him, say, 45 minutes every 3 games.
A loan to a mid-table German or Spainish club will be the best option.

Championship is not suitable for youth development. All they can teach them, is to be direct, physical, become boring and defensive.
I don’t want him coming back turning into a Milner/Kyut, or a Wright-Phillips/Walcott type of player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom