• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Iwobi: Big 17 No Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Maybe I was just so fed up with our display I couldn't pick out the good work anyone was doing. I know I posted at one point that Iwobi was useless and Mihki even worse. All game I thought Watford were going to equalise so I didn't really enjoy the game.
Don't get me wrong, I by no means thought we were brilliant but I didn't feel Iwobi was a part of the problem. Credit to Watford as well who arguably looked better with 10 men (At one stage they were playing with 9 and we were so garbage we still couldn't get through)

TornadoTed

Established Member
I thought Iwobi did pretty well last night too, he created more opportunities than anyone else on the pitch I thought. It is such a shame he isn't quicker, he is strong and has good feet but just doesn't have the pace to beat his fullback in a foot race.

If Iowbi had the pace I could see him reaching Zaha's level as a winger but his lack of pace will mean he will have to make it as a number 10 or even in a 3 man midfield long term I think.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I'm not sure he has the mentality to be a big club player. He's not even erratic. It's the same old problems under two very different coaches. I'm inclined to sell....

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Yes, we should try to upgrade on him.

Mkhitaryan is a whole nother level of ****e though. Can't stand how he can't even do basic ****.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I thought Iwobi did pretty well last night too, he created more opportunities than anyone else on the pitch I thought. It is such a shame he isn't quicker, he is strong and has good feet but just doesn't have the pace to beat his fullback in a foot race.

If Iowbi had the pace I could see him reaching Zaha's level as a winger but his lack of pace will mean he will have to make it as a number 10 or even in a 3 man midfield long term I think.
Emery needs to make decisions this summer, he is not a true winger and he's not a complete midfielder, rather something in between. He is targeting positions where he needs to add end product and he doesn't have that ability currently. It's going fine for him this season just because his competition is Auba and Mkhi, both terrible wide players who are better centrally but had to be sacrificed wide. In a scenario where we bring in someone like Lozano or Neres and we keep Özil, Iwobi could be in a position where he can't match their end product and he'll be benched, situation that everyone want's to avoid.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Iwobi when he receives the ball in the attacking third =

tumblr_ozd2tbw8wm1rchkzlo2_r1_500.gif

When he sees the light towards the end, that's when the ball is already gone.

Wrighty4eva

Established Member
Strange thing about Iwobi is that you can clearly see talent is there, but if he can translate that to the big stage is another question, so I can understand why he is so polarizing as a player,

To be honest I was really surprised when he made his first team debut for us as he wasn't a player that I was too blown away with in the youth set up, I honestly thought he was gonna end up one of the youth players we let go of that year, then BAM ! he was in the first team towards the end of the season, which was a pleasant surprise because you could tell he really wanted it, but in the end he's looking like quite the dud.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

But that is just it, he didn't do that last night. He put in several balls which went unanswered by our attackers. He found Özil, PEA, Ramsey and Mikhi several times. Mihki had 3/4 shots as a result of the work Iwobi was doing. Usually I'd agree with your post 100% but last night he looked different and energetic. He kept the ball well and move it forward well. He struggles because there was rarely any overlap until we changed the formation and even then Monreal looked too beat to add a run in for him.

Indeed created 7 chances last night .

Toby

Indeed created 7 chances last night .

But it's the quality of chances. When Kolasinac aimlessly bangs overhit balls into the box he's a muppet, Iwobi hits his random no target balls into the box he creates chances. BS. Iwobi has no final ball and the way he executs his passes and crosses and where he randomly puts them makes it hard to actually get to them.

ThlRama

Player:Saka
But it's the quality of chances. When Kolasinac aimlessly bangs overhit balls into the box he's a muppet, Iwobi hits his random no target balls into the box he creates chances. BS. Iwobi has no final ball and the way he executs his passes and crosses and where he randomly puts them makes it hard to actually get to them.

This is true to some extent. He is outrageously unpredictable as a player in literally anything he does, with his legwork and dribbling that is great because he leaves defenders looking for him, but with his passing it's not, as teammates don't know where they should move to.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
He should focus more on adding goals than creating chances. He gots some tools already to work with, training is needed for shooting technique and how to create space for a shot. I think with creativity and creating chances it's a bit different story, it is more connected with the talent to do it rather than training.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
But TA this wasn't true against Watford. He created good chances. Usually he is completely off and I'd agree whole-heartedly but against Watford he created decent chances.

Toby

But TA this wasn't true against Watford. He created good chances. Usually he is completely off and I'd agree whole-heartedly but against Watford he created decent chances.

He put in passes and whatnot, but it's just that every time he gets into a situation like that you just know he's going to waste it. It's always a little too overhit or too waekt, too far behind or in front of teammates. He's just not good enough. Over the last 3 years or so there has been absolutely zero development with him. Just look at someone like Neres and what they do on the wings. Dynamic, crisp passing, goalthreat. Iwobi has nothing but the ability to nutmeg someone every now and then.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

There were some good chances there to tell the truth , 2 to Auba and one to Mkhi which he missed from point blank .

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
After 4 years with the first team most people are still patient with him just because he's from the academy and has got the homegrown status. If his name was Joel Campbell they would be begging to sell him after 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom