• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Iwobi: Big 17 No Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

Quite hard for an attacker to anticipate an Iwobi assist when it's so uncharacteristic for him to actually create anything :eek:

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
He put in passes and whatnot, but it's just that every time he gets into a situation like that you just know he's going to waste it. It's always a little too overhit or too waekt, too far behind or in front of teammates. He's just not good enough. Over the last 3 years or so there has been absolutely zero development with him. Just look at someone like Neres and what they do on the wings. Dynamic, crisp passing, goalthreat. Iwobi has nothing but the ability to nutmeg someone every now and then.
I agree he possibly isn't good enough but I do not feel he has not improved. I think he stagnated big time and we saw huge improvement under the new manager, then a dip and now finally he is finding some form again. We'll have to agree to disagree. I just don't see Iwobi as a major issue in our squad. we don't need to get rid of him. We are short in that department and if an upgrade comes in he can still be of use. We have other deadwood we need shipping out.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
I agree he possibly isn't good enough but I do not feel he has not improved. I think he stagnated big time and we saw huge improvement under the new manager, then a dip and now finally he is finding some form again. We'll have to agree to disagree. I just don't see Iwobi as a major issue in our squad. we don't need to get rid of him. We are short in that department and if an upgrade comes in he can still be of use. We have other deadwood we need shipping out.

He may not be an outright problem but while clearly not good enough he's one of the few you can make money with. If I can get 25m for him and then sign Brandt from Leverkusen for that without needing to cut into my budget I massively upgraded on Iwobi and saved budget to buy more wingers. I would instantly swap Iwobi and Mkhi for e.g Brandt, Fraser and Neres for 50m. Absolute no brainer.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
He may not be an outright problem but while clearly not good enough he's one of the few you can make money with. If I can get 25m for him and then sign Brandt from Leverkusen for that without needing to cut into my budget I massively upgraded on Iwobi and saved budget to buy more wingers. I would instantly swap Iwobi and Mkhi for e.g Brandt, Fraser and Neres for 50m. Absolute no brainer.
See, now that I can get on board with. I just doubt the club would be so shrewd.
TA, this is why we need a brain like yours in that Technical Director spot!;)

Toby

See, now that I can get on board with. I just doubt the club would be so shrewd.
TA, this is why we need a brain like yours in that Technical Director spot!;)

If I can string such ideas together Raul Sanllehi better ****ing is, too.

I mean, e.g. as Brandt and Demirbay, who I'd get as Ramsey replacement, both have clauses around 25m, which means it's going to be about wages and signing on fee. Which won't even be a problem this summer because we're getting Cech, Ramsey, Monreal, Lichtsteiner off the books, and if we manage to sell Mustafi and Mkhi that's another two high earners gone...we could drown guys with clauses like Brandt and Demirbay in money.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
If I can string such ideas together Raul Sanllehi better ****ing is, too.

I mean, e.g. as Brandt and Demirbay, who I'd get as Ramsey replacement, both have clauses around 25m, which means it's going to be about wages and signing on fee. Which won't even be a problem this summer because we're getting Cech, Ramsey, Monreal, Lichtsteiner off the books, and if we manage to sell Mustafi and Mkhi that's another two high earners gone...we could drown guys with clauses like Brandt and Demirbay in money.

I ****in love Brandt, but Demirbay has always felt like a very very underwhelming Ramsey replacement to me

Toby

Demirbay has always felt like a very very underwhelming Ramsey replacement to me

He's no Aaron Ramsey that's for sure, but on a tight budget with a release clause between 20 and 30m it's an interesting option in terms of profile, playstlye, passing ability. Someone like Max Eggestein from Bremen would be far more exciting choice, but he's just extended his contract at Werder. It's just that guys like e.g. N'Dombele, Aouar, Kessie, Barella have such a high profile they will go well north of 50m. Florian Neuhaus of Gladbach could be well worth a look.

But you know, the first and foremost target this summer should be to replace Ramsey, upgrade at LB and then raise the quality on the wings, maybe add one more CB. I'd say with CL the club will be able to spend around 100m net. With that you have to be clever about whom you sell and whom you bring in. Iwobi, Mkhitaryan, Chambers and Mustafi could fetch 60 to 80m. So you've got ~ 160 to 180m to spend, while ideally bringing in 6 players: three wingers, a leftback, a central mid and a centre back. With a budget already including sales fees of 160 to 180 you just need to be clever. The club has to patiently build this squad over a longer period. We can't just go out, splash 80m on two players and think it's going to work out, there's too many holes. If you raise the overall quality this summer, then you can go for more high profile targets next summer.

Someone like Demirbay is a very, very solid option with a good quality/price-ratio, if even a bit underwhleming for some. But he fits the profile, doesn't cost much and has a good age.

Last edited:

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
He's no Aaron Ramsey that's for sure, but on a tight budget with a release clause between 20 and 30m it's an interesting option in terms of profile, playstlye, passing ability. Someone like Max Eggestein from Bremen would be far more exciting choice, but he's just extended his contract at Werder. It's just that guys like e.g. N'Dombele, Aouar, Kessie, Barella have such a high profile they will go well north of 50m. Florian Neuhaus of Gladbach could be well worth a look.

But you know, the first and foremost target this summer should be to replace Ramsey, upgrade at LB and then raise the quality on the wings. I'd say with CL the club will be able to spend around 100m net. With that you have to be clever about whom you sell and whom you bring in. Iwobi, Mkhitaryan, Chambers and Mustafi 60 to 80m. So you've got ~ 160 to 180m to spend.

Someone like Demirbay is a very, very solid option with a good quality/price-ratio, if even a bit underwhleming for some. But he fits the profile, doesn't cost much and has a good age.

Agree on most, but CM the first thing to do?

Our team has 1-2 topclass CB signings written all over it.

My priority-list:

1. CB
2. LB
3. Winger
4. CM
5. CB

I'd much rather play ESR or Willock who have more upside than Demirbay. I'd trust the young talents right away.

You dont win a bucket of high-profile talents, you earn it by having the guts to play them.

No such things as Mbappe without trust, if the talent is there. (Yes, I know, he is the most extreme example, but there are so many out there, just take some)

Toby

Agree on most, but CM the first thing to do?

I didn't prioritize in that list. It was meant like "CM + LB + wingers" as a whole is the priority. Don't think CB is the most pressing issue. I liked Holding before his injury and Sokratis is a top CB. Kos has contrary to what I thought surprised me and come back in great shape. I would add a young CB for a cut price, like Kabak if the low release clause were true, but I'd much rather raise the quality on the wings first and foremost. I think the defensive side of things can be addressed with the current personnel and more tactical/structural stability.

akhil

He should be moved to the middle to cover for Ramsey's position. He's just not a winger, his combination play and ball retention was always one of his stronger qualities. He's powerful dribbler when he wants to be as well. It might suit him in a middle 3 or behind the striker. We're not going to replace Ramsey with anyone who has similar off the ball movement. Might as well move him to the middle and get an actual wide player.

Hleb, Rosicky and Cazorla were completely different players when they moved to the middle, maybe it'll have a similar affect on him. I'm not comparing him to those guys on quality, they were on a different level and but he's still young and physically he's a different beast to those guys.

F**K me he's made 142 appearances for the club already.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Iwobi could be good in the middle but maybe not as part of a two.

I'd sell him if we got a good offer. Then again I'd sell Mkhitaryan, Xhaka and Özil as well.

I think we should Keep him for now. He clearly has a close Control and Dribbling ability which only few can rival. If he just improves his Consistency and decision making in the final third, then he could become a reall asset. These Things can happen at any time. Therefore, I would still give him one or two more years. We should upgrade on mhiki, though.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Said this time and time again Iwobi needs to be central, I think he is the closest thing to Moussa Dembele I have ever seen, both started in attacking positions not providing much.

When Dembele went CM he showed huge improvement, Iwobi is not a winger at all.

I'd rather we keep him and genuinely think he will be a late bloomer, however I fully understand why people want him sold.

Hope

Less
Had the best chance of the march with no pressure. Such a poor shot.

And its every freaking time the same output.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
He was good up until that shot. Couldn't cut a daisy with that one. No conviction.

I'd rather keep Iwobi, but he needs to improve on these parts of his game otherwise his lack of end-product and lack of conviction will cost us.

Very lively income I felt. But he lacks goal and somewhere along the way if we want to become PL challengers we can't afford to have him in the first team if he lacks goals.

lamby22

It's Not Lupus

He just doesn't seem to put his laces through the ball when striking it. Such a weak shot on him. Özil also has a weak shot but he has the skill to bounce the ball when hitting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom