• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
In an ideal world that would be a worthy aspiration. But the modern world of academy football in general is brutal. The last time a major British club was actually driven by its academy in a meaningful way was probably Man U in its class of 92.
That’s why we need to buy the best young talents at a young age, before they get expensive.
Wenger was so close to signing mbappe at the time when he cost nearly nothing.

PoleInGoal

Player:Tomiyasu
Nonsense. It was only a couple of seasons ago that Monaco were in a similar position to the one Ajax are in now and both got there from giving youth a chance and making good signings. Sure it helps that De Ligt and Mpabbe came through their youth ranks at the time but for as good as they're, they're not clearly the most valuable player for their teams.
You can't ask for youth promotion and then bring up that Monaco team :lol: They spent big money on the likes of Falcao, James, Moutinho etc. and they didn't make anywhere near the impact this Ajax team has. Anyway, without generational talent Mbappe there they probably wouldn't have won the league that season

Tom349

You can't ask for youth promotion and then bring up that Monaco team :lol: They spent big money on the likes of Falcao, James, Moutinho etc. and they didn't make anywhere near the impact this Ajax team has. Anyway, without generational talent Mbappe there they probably wouldn't have won the league that season

You have no idea what you're talking about. The title winning Monaco team brought Fabinho, Lemar, Bernardo Silva, Bakayako, Mendy and Sibjle from within France and Portugal for relatively small sums and had one main youth piece in Mpabbe with Falcao and Moutinho having been brought in the somewhat failed original building of Monaco post buy out. How it that any different to this current Ajax side who brought De Jong, Neves, Tagliafico, Onana, Ziyech, Blind and Tadic for relatively small sums and internally promoted De Ligt, Van De Beek and a few lesser renowned players. They're practically identical in the ways they went about it, largely brought players from within their league who had upside and weren't too expensive and at the same time had a single generational talent coming through via their academy.

We might not have a generational talent coming through our academy at present but their still lots of talent that could contribute in the ways some of the lesser named players for Monaco and Ajax did or are doing so. I don't see why going forward Nelson or Saka can't be as effective as Lemar or Neves have been for Monaco and Ajax respectively. I don't see why we can't sign someone from another English club that could potentially be our De Jong or Mendy and break out upon leaving their club. Essentially the point I am making is I don't see why we can't follow a similar model of promoting youth whilst also stealing players from rival clubs who aren't prepared to play them whilst also being able to sign experienced players to help guide them. We're not going to be able to got toe to toe with the likes of City and United so why not do something different and build towards a team that can compete.

progman07

Established Member
Do you guys believe that Emery plays with 5 defenders (or call it 3+2 but the result is the same), because of our imbalanced squad, or because he prefers it anyways?

Personally I would like us to play the 4-3-1-2 next season, because playing 3 midfielders gives us control, and Auba and Laca at the same time gives us bigger goal threat up front. Maybe we do not trust Kolasinac and AMN to play in a defense of 4, because otherwise the following team could have been the solution:

Leno
AMN Sokratis Kos Monreal
Xhaka Ramsey Torreira
Özil
Laca Auba

Of course it's not too different to Liverpool's or City's 4-3-3 formation (honorable mention: Barcelona), with the difference that Özil plays deeper than their centre forwards. Otherwise the two strikers can provide width if they drift wide.

I think the key is to play 3 central players closer to each other than we currently do, and to at least have 2 players who are regular goalscorers up front.

Last edited:

PoleInGoal

You have no idea what you're talking about. The title winning Monaco team brought Fabinho, Lemar, Bernardo Silva, Bakayako, Mendy and Sibjle from within France and Portugal for relatively small sums and had one main youth piece in Mpabbe with Falcao and Moutinho having been brought in the somewhat failed original building of Monaco post buy out. How it that any different to this current Ajax side who brought De Jong, Neves, Tagliafico, Onana, Ziyech, Blind and Tadic for relatively small sums and internally promoted De Ligt, Van De Beek and a few lesser renowned players. They're practically identical in the ways they went about it, largely brought players from within their league who had upside and weren't too expensive and at the same time had a single generational talent coming through via their academy.

We might not have a generational talent coming through our academy at present but their still lots of talent that could contribute in the ways some of the lesser named players for Monaco and Ajax did or are doing so. I don't see why going forward Nelson or Saka can't be as effective as Lemar or Neves have been for Monaco and Ajax respectively. I don't see why we can't sign someone from another English club that could potentially be our De Jong or Mendy and break out upon leaving their club. Essentially the point I am making is I don't see why we can't follow a similar model of promoting youth whilst also stealing players from rival clubs who aren't prepared to play them whilst also being able to sign experienced players to help guide them. We're not going to be able to got toe to toe with the likes of City and United so why not do something different and build towards a team that can compete.

I understand your point. The big difference is that alongside these smart purchases Monaco also spent considerable money on those "superstar" players whereas Ajax as you said have been pretty purely bargain signings and youth promotion.

I do agree that youth promotion can and should be an important part of our philosophy but we would have to base our approach much more closely to Monaco (internal youth and smart buys complimenting 2-3 big money signings). The Ajax approach relies on truly elite talents to compete at the very top of the game, and that simply is not a reliable nor sustainable solution.

PoleInGoal

Do you guys believe that Emery plays with 5 defenders (or call it 3+2 but the result is the same), because of our imbalanced squad, or because he prefers it anyways?

Personally I would like us to play the 4-3-1-2 next season, because playing 3 midfielders gives us control, and Auba and Laca at the same time gives us bigger goal threat up front. Maybe we do not trust Kolasinac and AMN to play in a defense of 4, because otherwise the following team could have been the solution:

Leno
AMN Sokratis Kos Monreal
Xhaka Ramsey Torreira
Özil
Laca Auba

Of course it's not too different to Liverpool's or City's 4-3-3 formation (honorable mention: Barcelona), with the difference that Özil plays deeper than their centre forwards. Otherwise the two strikers can provide width if they drift wide.

I think the key is to play 3 central players closer to each other than we currently do, and to at least have 2 players who are regular goalscorers up front.

IMO 5 at the back is due to the combination of defensively-suspect full backs available, and the lack of wingers at the club. This way Emery is reducing the defensive responsibility of the wing-backs while maintaining some width.

If we had other options at FB or on the wing I suspect we would not see 5 at the back very often.

ThlRama

Player:Saka

Leno
AMN Sokratis Kos Monreal
Xhaka Ramsey Torreira
Özil
Laca Auba

Of course Emery would have to adapt to the squad up to a point in his first season, but aside from that we know jack all, really. That he's been playing with 4 at the back for almost all of his managerial career doesn't effectively predict what is going to happen from now on, especially in an altogether different environment. Tbh our squad is tailor-made for three-man defences (no coincidence that even Wenger tried 3 at the back for long,) and instead of signing, let's say, 6 players to change that, it could be that he'd be prefer to just sign 2 or 3 top-class players for instant, like-for-like improvement in our setup.

4-3-1-2 (which is basically a different name for the 4-1-2-1-2 or 4-4-2 diamond) is one of the least used and (probably) least effective formations based on the current state of the sport, as right now the obsession with pressing and scorers from wide areas does not favour such an approach. I also don't see how it ensures a stronger midfield presence compared to a narrow 3-4-2-1, where the 2 are inside AM's. This is basically a formation we have often employed throughout the season, with two out of Iwobi, Mkhitaryan, and Ramsey right ahead of two out of Xhaka, Torreira, and Guendouzi. 4 midfielders vs. 4 midfielders, maybe of a slightly different ilk or in different roles.

arsenefc

Obsessed With Guendouzi
we should look at Ajax, and prefer to be known as a club with a style, youth, technique and fearlessness. Emery can do it and the base is there.

The problem is poaching. Ajax will get raided, and sink back into their regular status. Happened with us, when we lost Nasri, Cesc, RVP ..which probably was our last young team.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I don't think it's as much psychological as it is the fact that Unai is still too conservative away from home, which more often than not backfired.

Michael Cox has a nice article about our issues from last night.
http://www.espn.com/soccer/blog/the...-on-a-plan-a-and-identity-to-progress-forward
well said. We are dull, uncreative and static.

Non-creative players: AMN, Sok, Kos, Monreal, Mustafi, Ramsey, Auba, Sead

Creative players: Özil, Iwobi, Mkhi, Laca

OK players: Torreira, Guendoozi, Xhaka

The full burden of playing a good pass usually falls upon Iwobi or Özil (sometimes Mkhi).

Barely 3 out of our starting 11 can do something unexpected...No wonder guys have been calling out for a winger!

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
well said. We are dull, uncreative and static.

Non-creative players: AMN, Sok, Kos, Monreal, Mustafi, Ramsey, Auba, Sead

Creative players: Özil, Iwobi, Mkhi, Laca

OK players: Torreira, Guendoozi, Xhaka

The full burden of playing a good pass usually falls upon Iwobi or Özil (sometimes Mkhi).

Barely 3 out of our starting 11 can do something unexpected...No wonder guys have been calling out for a winger!
Arsenal had long lost its identity to play the most beautiful football in the world. How can you attract more fans if you play boring football.
Özil and lacazette are not that creative in creating space and in build up play.
It’s time to re-build our team. We went from van persie, hleb, rosicky, fabregas, nasri, arshavin, cazorla......to what we have now.

Last edited:

Dregen57

Arsenal had long lost its identity to play the most beautiful football in the world. How can you attract more fans if you play boring football.
Özil and lacazette are not that creative in creating space and in build up play.
It’s time to re-build our team. We went from van persie, hleb, rosicky, fabregas, nasri, arshavin, cazorla......to what we have now.
Is this place being trolled?

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
It's really poor isn't it? Shame on the powers that be for letting us get to this absolute non-identity on the pitch with a squad of dross (excluding the obvious players).

arsenefc

Obsessed With Guendouzi
Emery needs to stop dreaming of electric doozi and get serious. Sp**s are now looking like prime arsenal, and we are looking like peak spursy.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable

Leno
AMN Sokratis Kos Monreal
Xhaka Ramsey Torreira
Özil
Laca Auba

Monreal is finished and offers nothing in attack anyway. We need new full backs and an athletic CM.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Emery needs to stop dreaming of electric doozi and get serious. Sp**s are now looking like prime arsenal, and we are looking like peak spursy.

Prime Arsenal :lol:

They are performing as we did during the Cesc years. And we were ridiculed for being boys in a man's world.

I expect Emery to continue making us a hard unit to beat, and also add some quality players to our unit. Turning us into a tactically astute, defensively responsible team with the ability to attack well.

arsenefc

Obsessed With Guendouzi
Prime Arsenal :lol:

They are performing as we did during the Cesc years. And we were ridiculed for being boys in a man's world.

I expect Emery to continue making us a hard unit to beat, and also add some quality players to our unit. Turning us into a tactically astute, defensively responsible team with the ability to attack well.

i expected you would expect that.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
Walk in the park for El Mister

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom