• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Non-Arsenal Transfers Thread: Summer 2019

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 5,998
  • Views 638,303
Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
I agree with this. Arsenal has had enough players who are injured in constant basis.

About Mkhi wages I think for example Lingard is with similar wages and I very much prefer Mkhi.

To be honest I'm quite a fan of Lingard but only for what he does/is, he's no prize asset and has a stupid boat looking face but as a squad player I would happily have him especially over Mkhi.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Definitely don't think we should sell Iwobi, he reminds me a lot of Moussa Dembele, he will come good late in his career plus he can do a job when required and isn't a bad squad option to have.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

To be honest I'm quite a fan of Lingard but only for what he does/is, he's no prize asset and has a stupid boat looking face but as a squad player I would happily have him especially over Mkhi.

Only thing going for Lingard is his age, but we cannot swap him. He has had worse season by points than Mkhi and Mkhi has bit less game time.

Could Mkhi be Özil backup when Ramsey is gone? And winger backup? At least for a year.

Iwobi is young and own boy so good to have as a squad player at least.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Quite a few reports of Hazard to Madrid close to being done, but feel like we've seen that for a few weeks now. Would love this deal to be sorted before a vital part of the season.

Vinci

The Sultan of Unai

How did we miss out on Lo Celso?

Only 22M, Emery knows him well, season long loan with option to buy. What's not to like?

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
I get what your saying regarding Welbeck but I just don't see the point in keeping him, he is out for huge chunks of the season, every season and what he does offer I don't think is worth keeping him around for, there is other players who could offer what Welbeck can and more without the constant injuries.

Sure. But lose Welbeck and then invest what, another 20m to replace him? This is neither FIFA nor are we Man City where we can just let people go and then splash the cash. It's much more important to get rid of overpaid or worthless starters like Mkhi and Iwobi and upgrade on them than to upgrade on the 4th choice winger/3rd choice striker.

Toby

One thing to keep in mind when listing all the players we think the club should sell is that it's not good to have too much turnover at one time. Arsenal needs to focus on areas of true need, replacing players who simply aren't up to the job(cough*Mustafi*cough), who may be getting older or whose contracts are expiring. It's not realistic to think that Arsenal is going to sell 10 players and bring in 10 to replace them. I'll be surprised if Micki is sold because he's still capable of some top performances, even if injuries have kept him from being as consistent as we'd all like. They'll already presumably be looking for a wide player. If they sell Mkhitaryan, they'll need to find two.

I'd even get rid of Mkhi and Iwobi but not bring in a CB. Everyone forgets that we've already got Sokratis and a pretty good Koscielny plus Holding who has been really good pre injury. Just get rid of Mustafi and fix the defensive problems via tactics. The offense this summer is much more important. Get rid of all the wingers, bring in 3 new ones. There's ample opportunities out there this summers. This is much more important than any CB signing we could do. Even if you add Skriniar or Koulibaly to this side we only catch 5 goals less with Emery's dodgy defensive tactics but offensively waste away with Mkhi and Iwobi - and remember Ramsey will be gone. In terms of attacking midfielders this club is in dire need. Everyone is banging on about a big CB signing but I think you forget how **** this offense will be next season. 4 players out, 5 players in.

drippin

Sure. But lose Welbeck and then invest what, another 20m to replace him? This is neither FIFA nor are we Man City where we can just let people go and then splash the cash. It's much more important to get rid of overpaid or worthless starters like Mkhi and Iwobi and upgrade on them than to upgrade on the 4th choice winger/3rd choice striker.

But how is this different than letting Welbeck go (who is very often injured) and putting Mkhi/Iwobi out of starting position to the substitute bench?

Of course we need 3rd striker and Nketiah and maybe Martinelli are likely not yet good enough.

I think often injured player is much more expensive than one who is not. The club needs to evaluate Welbeck's injury and possible new contract wages so we don't get in a bad situation.

Toby

But how is this different than letting Welbeck go (who is very often injured) and putting Mkhi/Iwobi out of starting position to the substitute bench?

Mkhi is on far too high wages to be a bench player.

In contrast to Welbeck who is on a free, Iwobi is someone you can make money with. Arsenal are not super rich and need to sell to have a higher budget. In short: Welbeck will free up average wages, Iwobi frees up exactly that plus probably around 25m on top of that. Now if I'm clever I sell Alex and try to sign Brandt for exactly the same amount with his release clause, thus upgrading on a winger massively while basically not spending anything.

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
De Ligt is going to Barcelona for 75 million, where the **** did Barcelona get all their money from since they also bought Coutinho and Dembele for over 300 million? not to mention they recently bought De Jong for 86 million.

drippin

Mkhi is on far too high wages to be a bench player.

In contrast to Welbeck who is on a free, Iwobi is someone you can make money with. Arsenal are not super rich and need to sell to have a higher budget. In short: Welbeck will free up average wages, Iwobi frees up exactly that plus probably around 25m on top of that. Now if I'm clever I sell Alex and try to sign Brandt for exactly the same amount with his release clause, thus upgrading on a winger massively while basically not spending anything.

But can we compete with Bayern or others for Brandt? Very good if we can.

Iwobi could go for even a bit more than that if we think about Ox, isn't he HG too?

You have good points, but it's very hard to say what the club thinks about it and what Welbeck wants.

About Mkhi, I'm not sure we will find someone who can afford him and his transfer fee. Maybe Inter or something. So it could be that he will remain here until end of his contract. He is not bad substitute, but gives quality as AMF or winger.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I'd even get rid of Mkhi and Iwobi but not bring in a CB. Everyone forgets that we've already got Sokratis and a pretty good Koscielny plus Holding who has been really good pre injury. Just get rid of Mustafi and fix the defensive problems via tactics. The offense this summer is much more important. Get rid of all the wingers, bring in 3 new ones. There's ample opportunities out there this summers. This is much more important than any CB signing we could do. Even if you add Skriniar or Koulibaly to this side we only catch 5 goals less with Emery's dodgy defensive tactics but offensively waste away with Mkhi and Iwobi - and remember Ramsey will be gone. In terms of attacking midfielders this club is in dire need. Everyone is banging on about a big CB signing but I think you forget how **** this offense will be next season. 4 players out, 5 players in.

Here's the thing, though. Can Arsenal depend on Koscielny being healthy? He'll be 34 years old in September and hasn't played more than 25 league games since 2016-17. He's also entering the last year of his contract. Are you extending him beyond age 34? Are you letting him walk in 2020? He's been great lately, but depending on him for next season is an enormous gamble. Rob Holding had a great 2-month run in the team before his injury. He was starting to look like real quality. But he's not schedule to be back on the pitch until September, maybe a month after the season starts. Then it will take him some time to really be match fit. And can Arsenal be sure he'll step back in and offer the same quality right away after such a serious injury? Again, a huge gamble.

So if you move Mustafi, I see no alternative but to bring in another center back. Who are you going to pair with Sokratis if Koscielny and Holding aren't fit? Nacho? He does a commendable job when called upon to play inside, but he's too small and he'll be turning 34 during the season as well. Plus, he's entering the last year of his contract. It's possible he could decide to go back to Spain this summer. Are you bringing Chambers back from Fulham and depending on him? He's been a bright spot in a dreadful Fulham team this year, but playing as a defensive midfielder. If he's not an upgrade on the center backs at Fulham, he's certainly not the answer for Arsenal. I wouldn't be surprised if he were sold. Do you think Mavrapanos is ready? Are you bringing up Pleguezuelo from the reserves? I just don't see an option that makes me comfortable without signing a new center back. If your players are too inexperienced, too injury-prone to stay on the pitch or just suck, all the tactics in the world aren't going to help.

I also don't get that Arsenal will be so terrible offensively next season. They've scored 66 goals in the Premier League this year, averaging two goals per game. Ramsey has only scored four of them. Only City and Liverpool have scored as many. While they've had a few games where they didn't have it together (as all teams do), offense has not been this team's problem. A team with Aubameyang, Lacazette, Özil, Mkhitaryan and Iwobi is going to have some firepower. By all means, replace Ramsey and bring in a winger. But there's no need to move anyone out. I think Reiss Nelson could have a role to play on this team next year as well. Maybe Saka too. There's even been talk lately of bringing back Welbeck. So there's already a good mix of experience and youth that can be added to and, unlike the defense, there's nobody approaching their mid-30s.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member

I'm aware its not FIFA nor are we Man City, I also don't think its a priority to upgrade on him, I'm just saying I don't see the point in renewing a contract of a player who always seems to be injured and when he does play everyone would prefer he's injured as he technically has nothing to offer.

If you want to keep him for his physical attributes I'd rather make do with Iwobi.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Notice the difference in how the Daily Mail, Sky and others portray Tottenham's transfer budget compared to Arsenal's. The big headline is always that Arsenal will be limited to a £50 million transfer budget or less and there's maybe some mention that they'll be forced to sell players if they want to add to that. But when it's Sp**s, you get (this from Sky, quoting the Daily Mail):

POCH HAS £150m TO SPEND

Tottenham will hand Mauricio Pochettino a £150m summer transfer budget to bolster his squad, reports the Daily Mail.

Having failed to sign a single player for the last two windows, Sp**s had planned to make £60m available for transfer this summer but an extra £100m could be made available through player sales.

The Mail claim Danny Rose, Victor Wanyama and Georges-Kevin Nkoudou are available to purchase, while uncertainty remains over the futures of Christian Eriksen, Toby Alderweireld and Kieran Trippier.

On one hand, it's "look at poor Arsenal, what a joke budget." But when it's Sp**s, it's "Wow, look at how much Pochettino is being given!" by a club that didn't spend a penny in the past two transfer windows, quoting not the actual budget, but what they've come up with in tacking on what they think Sp**s will get from sales of players they assume they'll sell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom