• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Non-Arsenal Transfers Thread: Summer 2019

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 5,998
  • Views 638,235
Status
Not open for further replies.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Notice the difference in how the Daily Mail, Sky and others portray Tottenham's transfer budget compared to Arsenal's. The big headline is always that Arsenal will be limited to a £50 million transfer budget or less and there's maybe some mention that they'll be forced to sell players if they want to add to that. But when it's Sp**s, you get (this from Sky, quoting the Daily Mail):

POCH HAS £150m TO SPEND

Tottenham will hand Mauricio Pochettino a £150m summer transfer budget to bolster his squad, reports the Daily Mail.

Having failed to sign a single player for the last two windows, Sp**s had planned to make £60m available for transfer this summer but an extra £100m could be made available through player sales.

The Mail claim Danny Rose, Victor Wanyama and Georges-Kevin Nkoudou are available to purchase, while uncertainty remains over the futures of Christian Eriksen, Toby Alderweireld and Kieran Trippier.

On one hand, it's "look at poor Arsenal, what a joke budget." But when it's Sp**s, it's "Wow, look at how much Pochettino is being given!" by a club that didn't spend a penny in the past two transfer windows, quoting not the actual budget, but what they've come up with in tacking on what they think Sp**s will get from sales of players they assume they'll sell.
Same BS as last year:

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
No wonder they have £150 million to spend. They didn't spend the £150 million they had last year! :rofl:

Not the war chest articles again :lol:, they always go with the 'war chest' angle which a sure fire journalist trick to sell papers.

Insert club with somewhat of a fanbase and either say they have a war chest or in poverty for an easy click bait headline.

Journalism is such a lazy job according to my source..

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Is Douglas Costa still a good player?
I'd take him if he's still the player he was at Bayern.

He'd be a huge success in the premier league.
He has 1 goal and 0 assists in 25 appearance this season.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Not the war chest articles again :lol:, they always go with the 'war chest' angle which a sure fire journalist trick to sell papers.

Insert club with somewhat of a fanbase and either say they have a war chest or in poverty for an easy click bait headline.

Journalism is such a lazy job according to my source..

Seems it's always Arsenal that's played as the poverty club and Sp**s are about to have a massive budget.

As a retired journalist of 30 years, I can assure you that if done properly it's a really hard job -- a fun job that's sometimes not like work, but a hard job that requires long hours (sometimes basically all your waking hours -- or even your sleeping hours now and then -- on call). But in the internet age with all the focus on generating clicks for revenue, I see an enormous amount of shoddy journalism in the tabloids. I'm constantly annoyed that stories aren't even written properly anymore with the most important information in the lede and adding detail from there. A lot of these articles start with paragraphs of useless claptrap designed to get you to scroll down the page before finally getting to the point in the final third of the story. There are still places where you can find excellent journalism (both sports and news), but there's increasing nonsense. I also tend to have trouble thinking of people who write blogs as journalists (not that there aren't some who do good and interesting work, mind you).

I often say that the internet is simultaneously the best thing to happen to information and the worst.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
They're in debt up to their eyeballs, no way they have a 150m war chest. Winning a crazy game and making the CL semi's doesn't suddenly turn water into wine.

A 150m 'war chest' isn't even that much these days for the big clubs, might get you two upgrades or a load of unproven signings, war chests don't mean a thing if you don't know how to spend it.

I would imagine all the top clubs first targets will be around the 70mil mark and up, unless you're Bayern, they will just cheapskate their way through the Bundesliga.

I don't expect Tottenham to be as frugal as we were through our stadium build, they are in a position where they need to strike while the iron is hot.

Malky

Established Member
They're in debt up to their eyeballs, no way they have a 150m war chest. Winning a crazy game and making the CL semi's doesn't suddenly turn water into wine.
There's no way they've got that to spend. There is no guarantee that they'll even have CL football next season, ironically getting as far in the CL could hinder their chances of staying in the top 4 to qualify for next season, unless they do the unthinkable and win it. Plus the stadium took their debt to what, £600-700M? Yet somehow they won't have to sell any of their star players and spend another £150M in the summer? Nah, not buying that.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
There no much difference between Felix and Foden city should give foden chance and spend 120M somewhere else

BobP

Memri Fan
There no much difference between Felix and Foden city should give foden chance and spend 120M somewhere else

bcf4204588d6781459cfd11411da69d4.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom