• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

progman07

Established Member
I accept this argument, but it is still worrying.

Here is what Ancelotti said, which reiterates what @Toby Andrl and some others are saying :

Layth[Football LDN] Carlo Ancelotti says: I think Arsenal is an intelligent team. They defend together they are really organised defensively and offensively. They don’t play fantastic football but they deserved their victory and I wish them all the best in the Europa League
First of all we didn't need to play fantastic football to completely nullify their game, so it's a bit cheap from Ancelotti to bring it up.
Secondly, we have played some great high-tempo attacking football at home, against the top sides, e.g. I remember the Sp**s, Liverpool home games being very positive, the first half of the Chelsea away game as well, etc.

But we do not have the personnel right now to play consistently good football, which is the result of awful squad building in recent years. Our attackers and midfielders have their strength (e.g. world class movement from Auba, great power from Laca, Ramsey's drive and hard working), but apart from Özil there is no player like Rosicky, Cazorla or Fabregas (nevermind Pires, Bergkamp), .players who have vision and technique to play one-touch football, through balls, one-twos.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
First of all we didn't need to play fantastic football to completely nullify their game, so it's a bit cheap from Ancelotti to bring it up.
Secondly, we have played some great high-tempo attacking football at home, against the top sides, e.g. I remember the Sp**s, Liverpool home games being very positive, the first half of the Chelsea away game as well, etc.

But we do not have the personnel right now to play consistently good football, which is the result of awful squad building in recent years. Our attackers and midfielders have their strength (e.g. world class movement from Auba, great power from Laca, Ramsey's drive and hard working), but apart from Özil there is no player like Rosicky, Cazorla or Fabregas (nevermind Pires, Bergkamp), .players who have vision and technique to play one-touch football, through balls, one-twos.
Not even Özil.

Taneruit

Established Member

Player:Zinchenko
We're genuinly on course for the near best possible outcome this season
(Top 4 + Trophy) while not playing any worse, if better than the previous two seasons.

Yet, reading this thread you'd think we played like a Mourinho side for 99% of the season and barely qualify for the top 6.

Are you guys sure you watched Arsenal this season? Not United till december and then switched between us and Chelsea for our respective lows?

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
A manager that can get the best out of a squad, not just his best 11. A bit more luck with injuries, a few additions in key areas, who would you back more to manage a squad? I want Mesut to play every game, but that way he won’t show his best for the whole season. You perform you’re in, you don’t you’re out. Every game you see him manage player’s time, thinking also about the next game, and I love it.
giphy.gif

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Just want to check everyone is on the same page. We’d all rather win ugly than lose playing aesthetically pleasing football.

Right?

(Not advocating an entire season of ugly football. Unless we won the title of course :) )
I’ll say amen to that! Hopefully we can win and not look like dross. Don’t think we need to become Stoke. This season has been a bit mixed when it has come to how we play, but still far off from the crap some seem to feel we have looked like.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Just want to check everyone is on the same page. We’d all rather win ugly than lose playing aesthetically pleasing football.

Right?

(Not advocating an entire season of ugly football. Unless we won the title of course :) )
Yikes.
Might as well watch the games on teletext tbh.

LG10

Compared to last season anything is better, but compared to the “Wenger 4th” years, this season pales in comparison.

Football is absolutely dire, no point beating around the bush, we’re watching dross.
In the Wenger 4th years we were routinely out of the title race by feb and having to go on end of season runs to pip villa to 4th. We would then buy no one and repeat this the next season.

The football was just as bad post cesc/rvp, giroud was our only striker for 5 ****ing years. How are we supposed to play pretty football with the likes of a semi retired Özil as our only aesthetically pleasing footballer?

We have a new manager for the first time in 22 years who has inherited an average squad with a shoestring budget and we have a great chance of cl football in an era where the top 6 is stronger then ever. Not to mention that emery immediately solved our poor record against the big teams because he actually has solid game plans and has a great tactical mind.

FluffyDoozi

In comparison, let's see what people used to say about us:

Former Dutch international Johan Cruyff backed Arsenal to win the competition, saying "If Arsenal win it playing football the way only they know how then Europe would be proud to have such champions".

Marcello Lippi: "It would be good for football if Arsenal could win. They play on the ground, they manoeuvre the ball, very, very well. It's very fast and very technical."

I hope to God that Emery takes this legacy forward.
If you really have to use quotes of Lippi from 2008 to make a point about Arsenal's play style in 2019 then you are really clutching straws and probably have a weird anti Emery agenda. The Cruyff comments are also from 7 years ago.

We last truly played mesmerising football during the Cesc era. Which to be fair is not that surprising because we went from shoehorning number 10s like Cesc, Nasri,Hleb,Rosicky,Wilshere in the same teams.
The moment these technical players left is when our attacking style became dire, which it has been for the last 4 years although Cazorla tried his best but he's teammates were not up to scratch.

Personally I think we should play more transitional and counter attacking football. If well executed it's a lot more fun than the mind numbing aimless passing without end product of the last couple of years. With Auba, Xhaka, Özil, Mhki and Torreira, you could argue that our players are better suited to that.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
If you really have to use quotes of Lippi from 2008 to make a point about Arsenal's play style in 2019 then you are really clutching straws and probably have a weird anti Emery agenda. The Cruyff comments are also from 7 years ago.

We last truly played mesmerising football during the Cesc era. Which to be fair is not that surprising because we went from shoehorning number 10s like Cesc, Nasri,Hleb,Rosicky,Wilshere in the same teams.
The moment these technical players left is when our attacking style became dire, which it has been for the last 4 years although Cazorla tried his best but he's teammates were not up to scratch.

Personally I think we should play more transitional and counter attacking football. If well executed it's a lot more fun than the mind numbing aimless passing without end product of the last couple of years. With Auba, Xhaka, Özil, Mhki and Torreira, you could argue that our players are better suited to that.
Took the quotes off Wikipedia. Must be a lot of similar ones. If you gave Wenger these players, you would have seen much more attacking football. We also might have lost a few more games.

Agree with the counter attacking thing but that is harder to do than the possession based football. Very few teams have been able to pull it off... Madrid and Liverpool are two recent ones.

FluffyDoozi

Took the quotes off Wikipedia. Must be a lot of similar ones. If you gave Wenger these players, you would have seen much more attacking football. We also might have lost a few more games.

Agree with the counter attacking thing but that is harder to do than the possession based football. Very few teams have been able to pull it off... Madrid and Liverpool are two recent ones.
Wenger had similar players in the last two/three years but we were slightly more entertaining without getting results. Emery has done well this season. We don't play so much was than previously but the results are better, many players have individually improved and save for Liverpool away, we don't open our asscheeks to every other big six team.

For what it's worth am not that big an Emery fan because I think he has been too reactionary in setting up for individual games which can't work long-term for a big club. My hope is that he just wants to salvage what he can about this season and get players he wants. I suspect his vision is how we played against Sp**s.

One of the best things that incompetent bald fraud Gazidis did was putting a 2 year break release in Emery's contract so we can fire him next year without compensation.
So how about we just lay off the pitchforks for one more year? If things haven't improved we can then start crowd funding for Unai out planes over the emeryates.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Wenger had similar players in the last two/three years but we were slightly more entertaining without getting results. Emery has done well this season. We don't play so much was than previously but the results are better, many players have individually improved and save for Liverpool away, we don't open our asscheeks to every other big six team.
Apart from his dreadful record against ManUre and Liverpool (and Mourinho), we have been decent against the big teams.

Torreira, Leno, AMN, Ramsey, Mkhi, Auba, Kos...these guys were absent in his last season.

Plus Wenger was a stubborn asshole, refused to play defensive football. He died by his sword.

So how about we just lay off the pitchforks for one more year? If things haven't improved we can then start crowd funding for Unai out planes over the emeryates.
I am actually quite happy with the results. Emery has been steady and filled up the gaps very nicely.

But many posters are calling him a genius which is wrong. You could probably have appointed Ancelotti, Woy or Benitez and we would be at around the same place.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Apart from his dreadful record against ManUre and Liverpool (and Mourinho), we have been decent against the big teams.

Torreira, Leno, AMN, Ramsey, Mkhi, Auba, Kos...these guys were absent in his last season.

Plus Wenger was a stubborn asshole, refused to play defensive football. He died by his sword.

I am actually quite happy with the results. Emery has been steady and filled up the gaps very nicely.

But many posters are calling him a genius which is wrong. You could probably have appointed Ancelotti, Woy or Benitez and we would be at around the same place.
**** me, are you blind or something?
Wenger played the most ugly and boring football and bought many non technical players, walcott, chamberlain, giroud, poldoski, ramsey.....
And **** benetiz, he is the representative of boring football together with mourinho, pulis, and other English managers.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
I want my beautiful football back.
But it’s impossible to demand that with the players we currently have, which most of them were bought by wenger.

Last edited:

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Arsenal were founded 129 years ago

Wenger was in charge for 22 years (17% existence)

Some here want to return to the peak playing style of Wenger - I get that, it was very enjoyable.

How about the club evolve into a new playing style that fits the current footballing financial, physical and tactical landscape instead of longing to return to football from years when these were the best mobiles money could buy (some cracking models here btw)

1999_gsm_phones.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom