• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
happy if we could get anybody that can run at pace and scare the bejeesus out of defenders
The sickening thing is he can do it all. He's a threat from 50 yards out with his back to goal. Great awareness of space and how he can use it.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
The scout/s were sold on him, apparently. We were keeping our powder dry for Asano :drool:

Wenger would have signed him a few years before that, but he lost his bottle and was starting to go for 'safer' bets.
He'd have only Iwobified him anyway!

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Ahhh, the ice-cream dildo training regime... Keepy uppy, headers and volleys in the centrer circle, then home. Heady days.
Don't forget World Cup singles. Come to think of it that's the only way Mustafi could have possibly become a Champion...

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Except he had given up a good 12 months prior to us moving him on, did absolutely nothing for us in that time period. Still hasn't done anything for United.
I wouldn't say 12 months. He was sensational towards the end of 2016/17. His form dipped in 2017/18 but he'd still contributed to a goal or an assist every 2 games before he left. We still haven't replaced his output yet.

Jae

I wouldn't say 12 months. He was sensational towards the end of 2016/17. His form dipped in 2017/18 but he'd still contributed to a goal or an assist every 2 games before he left. We still haven't replaced his output yet.

Fair does mate, I recall him not doing anything from around February 2017 up until he went in the winter window of 17/18. He chipped in with goals and assists but he largely contributed nothing to our actual play, he sulked, gave the ball away constantly and never tracked back. He's continued to do that at United.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

I don't really know what exactly to make of the squad.

We're so technically poor overall, which is strange given that technical ability is what were known for 7/8 years ago.

I suppose it's as a result of change of our direction in regards to signings which someone pointed out in a post, somewhere.

We went from signing technically gifted youngsters to mature players with less technique.

It is in some way a fault of the pressure Wenger was under (from us as fans) to get success more quickly and you can definitely see the profile of the player we've been signing has changed more recently.

It'd be nice if we did have a really good long term plan with a goal of the type of football and footballers we want. Do we want to be a possession type team? Then we know we can't sign the top techincal players but we can sign younger techinical players and hope they come good.

I think there are tiers amongst young players (obviously) and if we get CL for example, with a potential 100m kitty? Well then we can sign pretty good techinical youngsters which are hopefully less of a gamble than a 500k shot in the dark from South America.

If we want to be a counter attacking side then we need good defenders under pressure; and also fast explosive players in attack.

Do we want to be both ala The Invincibles, then we better start praying as both techinical and physical players cost a ridiculous amount of money.

GOONER1991

Established Member
2019/2020

Leno
Martinez

Bellerin*
Maitland-Niles*

Sokratis
NEW CB

NEW CB
Holding*
Koscielny

NEW LB
Monreal

Xhaka
Guendouzi

Torreira
NEW CM

Özil
NEW CAM

NEW RW
Reiss Nelson*

Aubameyang
NEW ST
Nketiah*

Iwobi*
NEW LW

*Homegrown

Academy players to be given a chance after that.

Sell/Loan

Mustafi
Mavropanos
Mkhitaryan
Kolasinac
El Neny
Lacazette

Leave

Cech
Ramsey
Welbeck

This is my opinion on the least amount we can do to compete next season. Quite frightening really 8 new signings required, with at least 3 being first team starters. The sales could potentially make us north of £60m, which should allow for a healthy transfer budget. Would still make for major upheaval in the squad, aimed to maintain some level of consistency in the XI though.

-------------------Leno

Bellerin - Sokratis - NEW CB - NEW LB

------------Torreira - Xhaka

NEW RW----------Özil---------------Iwobi

----------------Aubameyang

Wishlist/Actuals

NEW CB - Umtiti/Bailly
NEW RW - Pepe/Fraser
NEW LB - Grimaldo/Kolasinac

Vantastico

Our form had been pretty poor lately. I for one blame climate change.

The weather's been pretty hot in South London recently. I think a few of our players have got pollen allergies. You simply cannot blame guys who have trouble breathing, who then struggle to make the right decisions or give 100% energy.

Hence why we should give Mustafi a nose spray, and a contract extension and try getting good results again next winter.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
Fair does mate, I recall him not doing anything from around February 2017 up until he went in the winter window of 17/18. He chipped in with goals and assists but he largely contributed nothing to our actual play, he sulked, gave the ball away constantly and never tracked back. He's continued to do that at United.

Goals in the semi and cup final alone after feb 2017. Alexis usually came up big at important times.

Reactions: Jae

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
The real problem for me is this squad doesn't have any emotional attachment for me.

I suppose Bellerin who's been out all season and Kos because we've seen his progression. The rest I wouldn't care of they left this summer and were replaced by someone of the same standard.

I wouldn't miss their personalities at all.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
The real problem for me is this squad doesn't have any emotional attachment for me.

I suppose Bellerin who's been out all season and Kos because we've seen his progression. The rest I wouldn't care of they left this summer and were replaced by someone of the same standard.

I wouldn't miss their personalities at all.

But you have a Lacazette avatar? Are you one of those guys that fancies him cos of his 'sauce'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom