• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Which positions would you target?

Which positions do you target? (Maximum of 3)

• GK

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LB

Votes: 66 61.1%
  • CB

Votes: 70 64.8%
  • CB

Votes: 21 19.4%
  • RB

Votes: 13 12.0%
  • Attacking CM

Votes: 32 29.6%
  • Winger

Votes: 69 63.9%
  • Winger

Votes: 27 25.0%
  • Number 10

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • CF

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Owner. Anything else is pointless. We are told there is a $40 million transfer budget despite being the 6th richest club in the world.

Cech and Ramsey are ending with us. Koscielny and Monreal are coming to the end of their careers and there are other areas where we are short or not good enough. And the owner suggests spending £40 million and keeping the rest for himself?

Sorry not good enough. We will drop to 7th or 8th next season so clearly its a new owner we need first and foremost.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
Not sure why CM position is not listed. Replacing Xhaka is important. My priorities
1) LB - Monreal is old. Kola is not good defensively.
2) CM - A good commanding CM to replace Xhaka. I have posted enough about why buying Xhaka is the reason why our team degraded.
3) Wingers - We have been forcing midfielders to play as wingers for quite sometime. We definitely need a pacy winger who can create nuisance to defenders and also make some good crosses.

Wrighty4eva

Established Member
Honestly we really need a lot of dealings this summer, but don't expect much with this regime we have, we need a competent RB back up for bellerin, LB, Central Defender, would like two wide men, but one will do, we could promote from within ie. Reiss Nelson, Ameachi or saka coming through, and a ball carrying midfielder in the ilk of cazorla.

benjamin86

Established Member
Not sure why CM position is not listed. Replacing Xhaka is important. My priorities
1) LB - Monreal is old. Kola is not good defensively.
2) CM - A good commanding CM to replace Xhaka. I have posted enough about why buying Xhaka is the reason why our team degraded.
3) Wingers - We have been forcing midfielders to play as wingers for quite sometime. We definitely need a pacy winger who can create nuisance to defenders and also make some good crosses.
I'd go CB, CM and then Winger, spine of the team isnt good enough and there's no leadership.

Imagine Sol Campbell and Vieira in this team, i think we'd be on 80 points right now.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
I'd go CB, CM and then Winger, spine of the team isnt good enough and there's no leadership.

Imagine Sol Campbell and Vieira in this team, i think we'd be on 80 points right now.
I chose LB instead of CB as we at least have the numbers in CB when holding and chambers return. But we don't even have that in LB. But quality wise, we are in shortage at CB too.

benjamin86

Established Member
I chose LB instead of CB as we at least have the numbers in CB when holding and chambers return. But we don't even have that in LB. But quality wise, we are in shortage at CB too.
My thought process is spending 40-50m on a CB makes a much bigger difference to us than spending 40-50m on a LB.

I think we're coming at it from different angles?

teamsoutheast

You actually provided a name though to be fair. Tierney is a good shout. Id also look to the Championship. If possible, I'd try to steal Jay DaSilva from Chelsea, I think he's got next.

Chelsea have some decent youngsters in their ranks. I think we should take a look at Reece James who's been on loan at Wigan this season. He is huge for a 19 year old and looks to have a briht future indeed.

teamsoutheast

Squad needs width. I would not be averse to promoting the likes of Reiss Nelson, Saka to provide cover on the wings. We need also another CB who is commanding and has excellent positional qualities along with ball playing skills. We should take another look at Fernando Calero as he fits that profile and I feel will compliment our stoppers Sokratis/Mustafi. Holding is perfect, but i'm not sure if he will be fit for the start of the season. Definitely need a young LB to replace Monreal and also a RB to provide cover for Bellerin. Ramsey replacement i'd be happy with Barella Nkunku. Even promoting Willock i'd be fine with as U23 football is way too easy for him.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Chelsea have some decent youngsters in their ranks. I think we should take a look at Reece James who's been on loan at Wigan this season. He is huge for a 19 year old and looks to have a briht future indeed.
Reece James is a top tier talent - Chelsea would be literally CRAZY to waste him in any way. His best position as far as I know is RB - not necessarily a position where we are terribly weak IMO but if he were on the market, he'd be a slightly cheaper but potentially better acquisition in the mold of a Wan-Bissaka. He's really brilliant - can play CM, CB or RB. Big, great athlete, excellent technician. Especially given we will likely lose the younger Vontae Daley-Campbell, having another prospect at RB would be excellent (might not be great for Osei-Tutu tbf). I don't expect us to be in with a sniff of signing Reece James.

Chelsea have a lot of really excellent youngsters in their ranks. So good, a couple of them have spilled over into ours and still look excellent.

benjamin86

Established Member
Squad needs width. I would not be averse to promoting the likes of Reiss Nelson, Saka to provide cover on the wings. We need also another CB who is commanding and has excellent positional qualities along with ball playing skills. We should take another look at Fernando Calero as he fits that profile and I feel will compliment our stoppers Sokratis/Mustafi. Holding is perfect, but i'm not sure if he will be fit for the start of the season. Definitely need a young LB to replace Monreal and also a RB to provide cover for Bellerin. Ramsey replacement i'd be happy with Barella Nkunku. Even promoting Willock i'd be fine with as U23 football is way too easy for him.
Wish Willock had been given more opportunities this season, id have him ahead of Elneny. They're comparable and there's more of an upside with Willock.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
If Chelsea transfer ban confirmed the last thing they need is to sell thier youngsters it'll be great opportunity for them to get into Chelsea team

benjamin86

Established Member
Reece James is a top tier talent - Chelsea would be literally CRAZY to waste him in any way. His best position as far as I know is RB - not necessarily a position where we are terribly weak IMO but if he were on the market, he'd be a slightly cheaper but potentially better acquisition in the mold of a Wan-Bissaka. He's really brilliant - can play CM, CB or RB. Big, great athlete, excellent technician. Especially given we will likely lose the younger Vontae Daley-Campbell, having another prospect at RB would be excellent (might not be great for Osei-Tutu tbf). I don't expect us to be in with a sniff of signing Reece James.

Chelsea have a lot of really excellent youngsters in their ranks. So good, a couple of them have spilled over into ours and still look excellent.
We should be looking to poach some of their youngsters, they'll have much better chance of playing for us.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Willock needs to get given a shot because Xhaka is all he’s ever going to be and in a two man midfield that’s not enough.

Need someone who can actually carry the ball and create chances seen as with Ramsey going and Özil a shadow of his former self we have no creativity in midfield as it stands.

Spend the money on a young creative player and someone who can break lines in midfield. Tielemans absolutely d*cked us today, if he’s on the market for £40M that’s a bargain.

Spend what it takes to get Maddison as well, unreal at creating chances. Performing at a similar level to the likes of Bernardo Silva and Havertz.

If they could look down the back of the sofa to scrimp up enough for Sessegnon that would be the core of the team for years.

We’d have to shift a lot of players, Iwobi, Xhaka, Mustafi, Mkhitaryan and Özil would all have to go. Three players I’ve mentioned would all bring the average age of the squad right down but could also contribute now.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Wish Willock had been given more opportunities this season, id have him ahead of Elneny. They're comparable and there's more of an upside with Willock.

Willock is the kind of player we don't have in midfield right now. Tall, relatively powerful for his frame, competitive and a very adept dribbler. He can pass to a very good standard and has shown the aptitude to not only score goals but to improve upon his movement. One of the things Ljungberg has done very well with the U23s this season is how well the individuals move off the ball - Willock seems to be the biggest beneficiary of this area of coaching. We really should have done more with Willock this season.
We should be looking to poach some of their youngsters, they'll have much better chance of playing for us.
It'll be tough. With the transfer ban, Chelsea might actually start having to use these guys. Also, they might still look at Arsenal and think that they won't get the kind of game time they feel they need, as these English youth players now are starting to believe in themselves and are going to other countries where clubs there are willing to give them more starts.

Willock needs to get given a shot because Xhaka is all he’s ever going to be and in a two man midfield that’s not enough.

Need someone who can actually carry the ball and create chances seen as with Ramsey going and Özil a shadow of his former self we have no creativity in midfield as it stands.

Spend the money on a young creative player and someone who can break lines in midfield. Tielemans absolutely d*cked us today, if he’s on the market for £40M that’s a bargain.

Spend what it takes to get Maddison as well, unreal at creating chances. Performing at a similar level to the likes of Bernardo Silva and Havertz.

If they could look down the back of the sofa to scrimp up enough for Sessegnon that would be the core of the team for years.

We’d have to shift a lot of players, Iwobi, Xhaka, Mustafi, Mkhitaryan and Özil would all have to go. Three players I’ve mentioned would all bring the average age of the squad right down but could also contribute now.
In an ideal situation, someone like a Tielemans or an Aouar would be such a great pick-up from many different angles. I think using a certain strategy of picking up young-ish players who fit a profile needed in the team and having Hale End players as back-ups/replacements for them with a small assortment of the right experience would behoove us. Say Aouar comes in at a pretty price - before long, he becomes a mainstay, he gets an itch for a bigger club, we sell for a great price and we already have a similar replacement in Azeez or Smith (depending on their development). Tielemans looks very good in the PL, and I've always been a fan of him - given how static our midfield is in terms of dribbling and athleticism, he's the perfect fit.

Maddison is also a player I like a lot, but I think his type of profile is one we can get a bit more creative with without spending as much money.

RE Willock - as I mentioned, his profile is something we miss. He's a much better player than given credit - dribbles, passes well (underrated passer in fact), is getting much stronger, and is clever enough to make the right moves to score+advance play when needed. I couldn't think of a more suitable Ramsey replacement from within.

With Xhaka, probably the player who I think would be a good replacement (stylistically, not literally as he's far from ready!) would be Matt Smith. He's got a very excellent passing range and while he's nowhere near as physical, he's good at evading pressure in possession, finds really good pockets of space to receive and is generally a very good technician.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
And speaking of Chelsea, I do wonder what Charly Musonda is up to these days? He'd work as an inside winger for us.....

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
This will not make the slightest bit of difference.
On the contrary. It is the ONLY thing which will make a big difference. Don't forget this, if the stated budget of £40 million is correct - and we now know that includes wages - we will go to 7th or 8th depending on how many teams reinforce themselves. Wolves and Everton are possibles and the Qataris may buy a team like Villa by then. This guy has us on a knife-edge and the only way with him is down, he's happy with 10th and all that lovely tv money.

Top Bottom