• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Best Player of the Emirates Era

Who do you consider to be the best player post Highbury?

• Total voters

Stadium move killed us, I previously used to think of it as just bad luck but the more I think about it, the more I think it might have been avoided.

Could there have been analysis done? Could anyone have seen the revenue boom coming? Was historical data used to determine whether there was a positive trend wrt the money in football? Did anyone bother working out the opportunity cost of building a stadium at the expense of being competitive? Etc.
It's easy on the surface to say unlucky but if I was about to make such a big commitment with my football club this seems like the kind of stuff I'd be thinking about. Bearing in mind we had a lot to lose, being one of the best teams in the world at that point.

We basically gambled on the world standing still and waiting for us while we funded and built our stadium. Sounds ridiculous when you put it like that.

You think we would have been more competitive without Emirates stadium? The oil money would still have invaded the league.

I think what really killed us is that those who owned the club opted to go with Kroenke when they sold their shares instead of doing their homework properly. Now I'm not saying Usmanov is some angel and we should have gone with him, but going with Kroenke has really killed us IMO.

TheEconomist

Established Member
I personally would agree that the Emirates move has held us back.

At the time, the management of the club would have known that they would stop us spending money on players and probably sell our best players too when they figures out the budgeting. They were probably arrogant/confident enough to think that nothing would change in 10 years, other clubs would stay stagnant and Arsène Wenger's genius would keep us willing titles without any money

If we had waited a few years we would have been able to build a new stadium like Sp**s has, with much less sacrifice. Instead, we took out a lot of debt, and even spent our money and energy on developing Highbury into apartments at the expense of the quality of football

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
I personally would agree that the Emirates move has held us back.

At the time, the management of the club would have known that they would stop us spending money on players and probably sell our best players too when they figures out the budgeting. They were probably arrogant/confident enough to think that nothing would change in 10 years, other clubs would stay stagnant and Arsène Wenger's genius would keep us willing titles without any money

If we had waited a few years we would have been able to build a new stadium like Sp**s has, with much less sacrifice. Instead, we took out a lot of debt, and even spent our money and energy on developing Highbury into apartments at the expense of the quality of football
It all went so wrong. Not sure when we'll recover.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
Needs an update.

Best player of the Emirates Era:
1. Sanogo
2. Takuma Asano
3. Kim Källström
4. Denis Suarez
5. Silvestre
6. Lichtsteiner

Where's the left back we had? Can't remember his name but he swapped shirts with (I think) rvp at half time when played united.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Kim Källström put us in the cup final (which we won)

Did not forget that, but for a professional footballer to get a decent load of cash for shooting a penalty once which very much can always go either, really, it's a far stretch to put him way beyond that list :lol:

lamby22

It's Not Lupus

Where's the left back we had? Can't remember his name but he swapped shirts with (I think) rvp at half time when played united.

A couple of his other highlights

taiudd.png

And involved in a 145mph police chase.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/sep/27/arsenal-andre-santos-driving-ban-police

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

The one thing I think they didn’t see coming was the Arab/American/Russian money. Think the club felt even with the stadium change they would be ahead of everyone and just behind Utd.
Pretty much what I ended my post with.

In the end I don't think there's any right/wrong answer as we don't know what truly went down.

The stadium move was very proactive at the time, it's just a shame we didn't keep up that proactivity once all was said and done. We still had plenty of opportunity to re-establish the club during that period around 2015.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

You think we would have been more competitive without Emirates stadium? The oil money would still have invaded the league.

I think what really killed us is that those who owned the club opted to go with Kroenke when they sold their shares instead of doing their homework properly. Now I'm not saying Usmanov is some angel and we should have gone with him, but going with Kroenke has really killed us IMO.
Yh Kroenke is probably the single biggest factor behind our fall if we had to pick one.

To have the one owner out of the big six who just doesn't care...sucks balls that.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Not sure when we'll recover.
I don't see it happening for a long time (see Liverpool).

Think we'll do well to even return to being a competitive team in the CL.

Sp**s are only relevant because they gained a WC striker from the academy, won the scouting lottery with Eriksen and Alli and took a chance on the right manager from a midtable club. That's the kind of perfect storm we'll need I think.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
Andre Santos - that's it. Thanks all. I think he playing in China or somewhere now. Amazing he managed a transfer to us in the first place.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Over Cesc lad? Never seen a midfielder so dynamic and exciting.

Never seen a season from anyone in English football like his 2009/10.

15 goals and 15 assists from midfield in only 27 league games. That’s mental.

LovED Cesc tbh, I can’t forget his move to the blue **** though.

I just value loyalty above mostly everything. And for that, I gotta stick with the majestic magician, that is Mesut.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom