• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Best Player of the Emirates Era

Who do you consider to be the best player post Highbury?

• Total voters

progman07

Established Member
A few things come to mind:
1. The club probably expected FFP to be enforced more stringently, if this was the case then self-sustaining model would've been more feasible. As it happens, UEFA have been quite lenient and seemingly allowed PSG/City et al free reign to spend whatever they want.

2. The club was backed into a corner with the stadium move and so they had to sign these sponsorships that were less than ideal, although I do sympathise with them here. Seeing the likes of Liverpool and United sign more lucrative deals every few years while we were stuck in long-term arrangements meant that we were always going to be playing catch up when it came to renewal time.

3. Even though Chelsea came into money in 2003, the club probably didn't expect lightning to strike twice with regards to Man City. You can argue that they should've expected more foreign investment in the PL but the sheer scale of City's spending was always going to be an abberation, especially if going back to point 1 there was no real enforcement of FFP beyond squad size restrictions.
Yes, the whole moving to Emirates concept did not take into consideration that there can be a shift in power in the PL, and that there will also be a shift in the relative percentage of revenue streams. The amount of money you can make from those extra 20k seats (or so?) is relatively fixed, unlike the money coming from TV coverage and marketing. But maybe I'm wrong about that, because it seems like building stadiums is still worth it...

Reactions: A_G

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Would have to be Cesc as much as it pains me to admit it.

Özil :lol:
Maybe ability wise but in terms of production and influence no chance.

Honourable shout outs to Cazorla genuine all round class.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Can't believe people still question the move to the Emirates. It's the best stadium in England.

Imagine still wanting to play at the Highbury now, we're in 2019 ffs. Wigan have a better stadium than that.:lol:

Some people in the Emery thread still want us playing the same “good style” (C) of football from 20 years ago so it’s not that shocking TBH - all living in the past, just different variations.

I pine for the days of George Graham myself.

SomGooner

Prolific Liker
Robin Van Persie was absolutely joy to watch. He single handedly carried us to 4th in that amazing and magical final season. What a gifted player he was.

Cesc was also unbelievable and I’ll always respect him, but RVP was simply one man show.

Santi has had far more impact than Özil ever did. Not even close

skip spence

In terms of overall impact quality and character my top 5 would be Cesc , RVP, Caz, Alexis and Ramsey, in that order.

That is of course exempting the mighty Oliver Giroud

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
The Canon of RVP has been rewritten now
(and it soon will be about alexis to)

For all intents and purposes HE WAS RIGHT!
He was. He ruined it big time by acting like he’d been longing for the move all his life. Massive ****house.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

This guy could literally do everything, every type of goal you'll see is in here. I'd do anything to have a winger like that in this team.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
You think we would have been more competitive without Emirates stadium? The oil money would still have invaded the league.

I think what really killed us is that those who owned the club opted to go with Kroenke when they sold their shares instead of doing their homework properly. Now I'm not saying Usmanov is some angel and we should have gone with him, but going with Kroenke has really killed us IMO.

We've managed to sell our club to the only owner who simply doesn't care about winning.
They had one job and they've failed miserably. **** them.

I'm not even asking for an owner who injects cash into the club but one who cares, who is ambitious, who sets the tone from top to bottom.

Top Bottom