• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alexandre Lacazette (Out)

Gio Sp

this is something i found on twitter ..

Barcelona are considering a move for Arsenal striker Alexandre Lacazette and could offer André Gomes and Samuel Umtiti as makeweights in any deal. (Source: Mundo Deportivo)

i definitely don't want Laca to go !

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Dont remember vs which team but but there was a gif where a ball was like 100ft in the air falling down and RVP with one touch perfectly controlled it and did a 180 spin simultaniously. Couldnt stop watching that gif man. Pure perfection.

Anyone know when this moment was? Would Love to see it again

It was on his return from being out from injury and it was against Sp**s

Not sure of the season

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
He scored 12 in 21 the year after and then had an excellent World Cup. I’ve argued this exact point with you before and if a goal every two game ratio is going off a cliff that’s mad.

That goals to game stat is also misrepresenting statistics massively, let’s not forget that Van Persie has played a full career with his post peak years added to that total and that Wenger said for years that van Persie’s best position wasn’t even a number 9. He often figured out wide or as a support striker.

You're the one who brought up goals to game ratio, not me. I just pointed out that Aubameyang's is actually better since your original argument was "look at RvP's goals to game ratio!" Also, Van Persie has actually improved his goals to game ratio since going back to Holland, so it's not a matter of post-peak.

The fact is that Van Persie was unable to stay on the pitch regularly through most of his career. He had a lot of very good seasons. He had exactly 2 1/2 great ones (1 1/2 for Arsenal, 1 for Manchester United). Then he went back to being what he had been before and was off playing in Turkey.

Your argument is based on what he could have been had he stayed healthy. My argument is based on what he was, considering his inability to stay healthy. Nobody is denying his talent. It was, at times, sublime. But he was what he was and "what ifs" won't change that. So give me guys such as Aubameyang and Lacazette who not only have great talent but the ability to get out there match after match.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Anyone trying to make a case for Auba and Laca against RVP need a reality check, RVP was a different level of striker. One of the most complete CF's we've ever had. Looking at those numbers it's scary to think what could of been if it wasn't for the injuries. :(

There you go. You said it yourself. Greatness is of no value in the training room.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

You're the one who brought up goals to game ratio, not me. I just pointed out that Aubameyang's is actually better since your original argument was "look at RvP's goals to game ratio!" Also, Van Persie has actually improved his goals to game ratio since going back to Holland, so it's not a matter of post-peak.

The fact is that Van Persie was unable to stay on the pitch regularly through most of his career. He had a lot of very good seasons. He had exactly 2 1/2 great ones (1 1/2 for Arsenal, 1 for Manchester United). Then he went back to being what he had been before and was off playing in Turkey.

Your argument is based on what he could have been had he stayed healthy. My argument is based on what he was, considering his inability to stay healthy. Nobody is denying his talent. It was, at times, sublime. But he was what he was and "what ifs" won't change that. So give me guys such as Aubameyang and Lacazette who not only have great talent but the ability to get out there match after match.

Yes but just quoting stats without context makes them completely redundant? The only reason I’m quoting the ratio is because you refuse to recognise him as a world class player outside of a two year window.

Also no my argument isn’t based on what could have been, it’s the fact that van Persie was the superior player it’s just that he was injured more.

You’ve turned this argument into who would you rather have in your team which it never was. Everyone calling you out is saying RVP was the player with more talent.

It’s like comparing Defoe and Fernando Torres. Yes Defoe has the better goal to game ratio and Torres was wrecked by injuries but no one in their right mind is saying Defoe was a better player than Torres.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Yes but just quoting stats without context makes them completely redundant? The only reason I’m quoting the ratio is because you refuse to recognise him as a world class player outside of a two year window.

Also no my argument isn’t based on what could have been, it’s the fact that van Persie was the superior player it’s just that he was injured more.

You’ve turned this argument into who would you rather have in your team which it never was. Everyone calling you out is saying RVP was the player with more talent.

It’s like comparing Defoe and Fernando Torres. Yes Defoe has the better goal to game ratio and Torres was wrecked by injuries but no one in their right mind is saying Defoe was a better player than Torres.

There's a difference between being a world class talent and a world class player. Please show me where I said that Aubameyang or Lacazette had more talent than Van Persie. I'll wait. Please show me.

Van Persie was one of the most talented players of his generation. But he still only had 2 1/2 great seasons. You have tried to turn this into an argument about which player was more talented -- which it never was. My original point was always that Van Persie couldn't stay in the lineup enough to have more than those 2 1/2 great seasons. That's my entire argument. Has been from the first word I typed. I'm not talking about his skills or how pretty he was or any of that stuff. I'm talking about being able to produce on a regular basis. Aside from one short period in his career, Van Persie underachieved because of his inability to stay on the pitch. Go back and read my original statement again since you seem to be wanting to argue against an argument that I have not made.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

There's a difference between being a world class talent and a world class player. Please show me where I said that Aubameyang or Lacazette had more talent than Van Persie. I'll wait. Please show me.

Van Persie was one of the most talented players of his generation. But he still only had 2 1/2 great seasons. You have tried to turn this into an argument about which player was more talented -- which it never was. My original point was always that Van Persie couldn't stay in the lineup enough to have more than those 2 1/2 great seasons. That's my entire argument. Has been from the first word I typed. I'm not talking about his skills or how pretty he was or any of that stuff. I'm talking about being able to produce on a regular basis. Aside from one short period in his career, Van Persie underachieved because of his inability to stay on the pitch. Go back and read my original statement again since you seem to be wanting to argue against an argument that I have not made.

Yes but I don’t get how RVP almost singlehandedly winning a league title doesn’t make him world class?

As for underachieving I still think that’s an unfair accusation due to injuries being beyond his control.

The guy carried us to top four in one of the worst teams of the Wenger era. I just can’t accept that as an underachievement.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

I find it strange people not wanting to sell Lacazette.

blaise

This seems more and more likely given quotes about our budget and mostly unsellable players we want to get rid of.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Why? Do you mean because they aren't being pragmatic or because you don't rate him?
Probably both. I think we can do better. And if we have limited funds then to me it makes sense to move him on especially as I think we could do better.

People on here say Liverpool had to sell Coutinho to buy VVD and Allison, are we below that? Arguably Coutinho was more valuable to Liverpool then but they sold and reinvested and are now stronger for it. We could take 80m for Lacazette go buy Moussa Dembele and put money down on a centre back before we've even touched our own money or sold anyone else.

To me that makes us stronger. We would also take a big wage earner off the books.

GDeep™

League is very weak
I suggested this ages ago, even as a fan of Lacazette, and was ridiculed for it.

I'm ahead of my time.
With the realisation that our transfer budget will be tiny with or without CL, I think people are more open to this.

Aevi

Hale End FC
With the realisation that our transfer budget will be tiny with or without CL, I think people are more open to this.
That was always going to be the case, the trends were pointing in that direction. We'll always be behind the rest financially with no investment on Kroenke's end. Smart management of player contracts and sales is the only way to go.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
If we’re going to sell one of Laca/Auba we should replace them with a wide forward who can fill in at CF, someone like Zaha for example.
Get Zaha and Ziyech in for the wide positions to replace mkhi/Iwobi and promote Nelson and Saka into the first team.

Top Bottom