• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Welcome to Baku

yybecause

Formerly known as ArsenaLover
disgraceful that final is played there, but hey, that's uefa, that's what people support so we get what we asked for

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Klopp on Baku :

"I think these guys who made these decisions, I don't know what they had for breakfast really when they did it.

"Last year we went to Kiev (for the Champions League final) which is a wonderful city but it was not really likely a Russian team or a team from that part of the world would be involved."

With no direct flights to Baku from London, fans face journey times of up to 14 hours depending on connections.

"These decision they must be much more sensible," Klopp said. "It looks irresponsible, I don't know how they do it and I sympathise a lot with the fans."

Refreshing to read Klopp being so honest about it.

Klopp on Baku :

"I think these guys who made these decisions, I don't know what they had for breakfast really when they did it.

"Last year we went to Kiev (for the Champions League final) which is a wonderful city but it was not really likely a Russian team or a team from that part of the world would be involved."

With no direct flights to Baku from London, fans face journey times of up to 14 hours depending on connections.

"These decision they must be much more sensible," Klopp said. "It looks irresponsible, I don't know how they do it and I sympathise a lot with the fans."

Refreshing to read Klopp being so honest about it.

But when the Final Venue was selected they would not know that two London teams will get there.

If we follow Klopp's logic then the Final Venue should be selected after the semis have been played and finalists known.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Your police should feel to arrest as many Chelsea fans they want - they all need locking up anyway, and are owned of course by a Russian oligarch

And while Arsenal is not without its own share of hoodlums (as any club), Chelsea has one of the most notorious fan bases around. They probably give Millwall a good run for their money.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
But when the Final Venue was selected they would not know that two London teams will get there.

If we follow Klopp's logic then the Final Venue should be selected after the semis have been played and finalists known.
quite right - believe me no one in the UK would care a hoot if a team from Azerbaijan had to play a final in England

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Where do direct flights into Baku come from though? Has to be taken into consideration.

Just did a quick flight search from Heathrow to Baku. Seems most of the flights come into Baku from Kyiv, Riga or Dubai. Lufthansa can get you there through Munich and Frankfurt though. Too bad Eintracht didn't win. Their fans could have flown direct.

Edit: Just for fun, I checked on flights for myself (I'm not going). I could fly by Lufthansa out of Norfolk to Washington Dulles, Frankfurt and on to Baku. Or I could take Turkish Airlines from Norfolk through Chicago O'Hare and Istanbul. Lufthansa would cost about $3,000 economy. Turkish Air would be $400-500 cheaper. Flight times would be around 16-18 hours there and 22-29 hours on the return trip. But hell, it takes longer to get through security these days.

Last edited:

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
if I had the money to go, I think I'd travel by train, and make the journey part of the adventure

at least that way if Arsenal lose it would still be a memorable experience

I love trains. I envy Europe for actually having them. Not that I really travel anymore, but I would have loved to have had more access to train travel when I was younger. The best way to travel as far as I'm concerned.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent

It's miles away from any team that had realistic chance of getting to final! :lol:

What they should do is have venues on standby that are local should clubs from the same country get to final. Heck, I doubt many would complain if it was even somewhere like Paris as it's very easy to get to even though different country :)

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
The great comment from UEFA to explain why the two finalists get so few tickets (less than 20% of the capacity between them) is that it's so difficult to get to Baku. Now that might in itself be a reason for the final not to be held in Baku - note "difficulty in getting to" not distance - but let's forget that for one moment.

Does UEFA really think that 55,000 people in Azerbaijan are going to have the interest and money - these prices are expensive by their standards - to watch two foreign teams in a game they can easily watch on tv or online?

Of course not! Many of these tickets will be resold to those very fans who can't get the tickets because it's difficult and expensive to get there but will do so anyway and have to pay touts more for the tickets as well! Not to mention "the football family", the families, friends and hangers-on of UEFA who get tickets for every important game and then flog them off at inflated prices. Know 'em well.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist

The state of UEFA :lol:

Maybe what UEFA should consider is offering chartered flights from the cities of the finalists and offer them as part of an enhanced ticket package. Surely they could line up a standby plan in a number of cities sometime after the group stage. Then they could sell some tickets to fans of the teams when they hold the final in a city that's not easily reached.

Does UEFA really think that 55,000 people in Azerbaijan are going to have the interest and money - these prices are expensive by their standards - to watch two foreign teams in a game they can easily watch on tv or online?

True that not many people in Azerbaijan can afford it, but I am quite sure that there will be plenty of Azerbaijani supporters at the stadium.

Your_e

The O.P. sounds like an Azeri government shill; robotic and uncomfortably pleasant.

Has most likely claimed to also be a Chelsea fan in one of their major forums.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom