• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Joe Willock: Joening the First Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Posted this in the Nkuku thread in April, and I stand by it. I’ll be fuming if we buy him and he plays instead of Willock.

Nkunku has played quite much in Ligue 1. Ligue 1 is much better league than u23 league. So Nkunku is ahead of Willock at this point, and Arsenal needs some players who already are known to perform in men's games.

I think both can get gametime, good to have options & backup and see if Willock can perform already. Unless he goes on loan.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Posted this in the Nkuku thread in April, and I stand by it. I’ll be fuming if we buy him and he plays instead of Willock.

Why do people think academy players have some divine right to the first team? Nkuku is more experienced than Willock which makes him a better option. No one from the under 21s should be in our team.

drippin

This is beginning to piss me off too. The step up to the premier league is far greater than people realise.

Yep, only top top talents can do the transition, especially in 1st season in EPL. And surely most cannot straight away perform the whole season, it's totally different degree of strain.

It tells loads about Guendouzi being able to do it. I hope Willock can follow next season. Although I'm not sure if he is mentally as good as Douzi. Joe is half year younger so nice.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
This is beginning to piss me off too. The step up to the premier league is far greater than people realise.

Anytime one of the senior players has bad form its like ‘why not bring in this 18 year old instead?’ Or ‘we don’t need to buy wingers just player Reiss Nelson’. It’s weird, if you think Iwobi and Mkhi are struggling it’ll only be worse for a kid.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
Anytime one of the senior players has bad form its like ‘why not bring in this 18 year old instead?’ Or ‘we don’t need to buy wingers just player Reiss Nelson’. It’s weird, if you think Iwobi and Mkhi are struggling it’ll only be worse for a kid.
The Arsenal kids, if nothing else, know how to play the Arsenal way. They should be technically competent and hungry at the very least. That's what gives fans hope with regards to them.

Yes, Iwobi is an Arsenal product but he doesn't have the mentality to be dangerous for us. At least e.g. Nelson has shown he has real end product.

Mkhitaryan is a joke.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Depends really.

Midfield needs a bit of a rebuild, and a move away from the static nature of our midfield in terms of mobility. Nkunku is a step in the right direction IMO, and doesn't necessarily get in Willock's way - unless the plan is for Nkunku to be an addition to a moderately stale midfield as opposed to a signing that points to revolutionizing it.

Why do people think academy players have some divine right to the first team? Nkuku is more experienced than Willock which makes him a better option. No one from the under 21s should be in our team.
I don't think anyone has a divine right to start in the first team if they haven't done enough to earn the opportunity - and ironically I have already seen a good chunk of the players already in the first team play badly for a consistent stretch of time, so I at least want us to give the younger players a chance. I don't expect them to be starters but if we are a team that purports to give them chances, then we should be doing that more than we are in the absence of a year long transfer window. I also don't agree that nobody from the U23s should be in our team, especially not with players like Mhkitaryan who've played badly more often than he's played well - which leads to:

Is it bad form, or just plain bad? How many bad games before you want to see something different? How long can you have a player in clearly bad form continually getting starts while the player behind him is playing out of his skin in every game he gets even at a lower level and the manager ignores him? Like I said - they don't need to become starters now, but I'd rather use them as an option rather than egregariously force the issue with the player who isn't performing

Plus I'd still bring in a new winger AND play Nelson, it's not an either or. If the younger players struggle, so be it. I'd even be a lot more understanding and patient. I don't expect the younger players to be super consistent 9/10 performers every game, but I have faith they can still perform to a good standard in comparison to the underperforming players. I believe in our academy and that won't change.

Yep, only top top talents can do the transition, especially in 1st season in EPL. And surely most cannot straight away perform the whole season, it's totally different degree of strain.

It tells loads about Guendouzi being able to do it. I hope Willock can follow next season. Although I'm not sure if he is mentally as good as Douzi. Joe is half year younger so nice.
This I do not agree with. Willock walked into Belgrade away and dominated the midfield having not even had a bedding in period with the U23s. He tailed off towards the end of the season and had a poor game v Newcastle, but mentality is not a problem with Joe Willock - I've seen him in enough games to see it. I don't think there's as much separating the two players as people think. Guendouzi has done exceptionally well to acclimatize as well as he has, even with the overblown lapses of form his detractors hold onto - however, I don't think Willock would have fared worse, and I think he's a lot more ready than people think. I think a good chunk of our younger players are more ready than people think they are, they just need the right opportunity to prove it.

drippin

This I do not agree with. Willock walked into Belgrade away and dominated the midfield having not even had a bedding in period with the U23s. He tailed off towards the end of the season and had a poor game v Newcastle, but mentality is not a problem with Joe Willock - I've seen him in enough games to see it. I don't think there's as much separating the two players as people think. Guendouzi has done exceptionally well to acclimatize as well as he has, even with the overblown lapses of form his detractors hold onto - however, I don't think Willock would have fared worse, and I think he's a lot more ready than people think. I think a good chunk of our younger players are more ready than people think they are, they just need the right opportunity to prove it.

You don't agree that I'm not sure? :) It would be tough to be as surprisingly good mentally as Guendouzi has been. But yeah, good to know you think he can handle the pressure. Willock seems very promising in many ways.

Last edited:

Relic

One of the very few who can hold their head high today and if the manger has any sense Willock will play a lot of games for us next season.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
He look ge Really wanted to do something can't fault his efforts he need more minutes next season

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
One of the very few who can hold their head high today and if the manger has any sense Willock will play a lot of games for us next season.
He should have gotten games this season to be honest. I've been saying he's underrated by impatient fans. That said, the game was almost done at that point, but he fashioned some good opportunities for himself that could have resulted in us mounting a better comeback, one of which he really should have scored - especially considering the goalscoring season he has had.

He's one of a handful of players who should be considered an option next season as part of a revamp of the squad, particularly in midfield where we really lack a bit of power, technique and dynamism.

Impact

Established Member
Good cameo today. His performance highlighted the type of profile Emery's system requires at #10 to work. Still quite rough around the edges and should be a candidate for a loan to the Bundesliga or Eredivisie this summer.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Willock, Bielik and Douzi would be absolutely brilliant midfield trio. It's a complete nonsense that we need to invest tens of millions when we already have everything here.

Willock changed his game a lot this year. He was more static player last year, happy to only pass the ball around and never looked like a threat.
Now, I have a feeling he could score more than Ramsey and would still be able to dictate play in midfield.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
He was fine, but by that time we were dead and buried and Chelsea were playing it out.

Agree that he should play much more next season.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Willock, Bielik and Douzi would be absolutely brilliant midfield trio. It's a complete nonsense that we need to invest tens of millions when we already have everything here.

Willock changed his game a lot this year. He was more static player last year, happy to only pass the ball around and never looked like a threat.
Now, I have a feeling he could score more than Ramsey and would still be able to dictate play in midfield.
That midfield would be a bit slow IMO, but decent technically.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom