• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Walter Kannemann

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Absolute rubbish. He has been solid. Check his stats properly before spouting out nonsense like this.
Stats... hmm okay, the same stats that would tell you Mustafi is a good defender? I wonder why he was dropped for Ogbonna in March, April and May in key fixtures and West Ham fans were clamouring for him to be dropped?

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
People who watch Brazilian football seem impressed with him and say 12M would be steal.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Keep hearing mixed reports.

What's your take on this @Dokaka?

Not sure why anyone would say he's a bad defender when he's been at least above average for large parts of the season at the age of 21/22. Wouldn't say he's some world beater or anything but he'd definitely be a locked in 3rd choice at Arsenal currently behind Kos and Sokratis. Close-ish to Sokratis level I'd say, with huge upside of course.

Stats... hmm okay, the same stats that would tell you Mustafi is a good defender? I wonder why he was dropped for Ogbonna in March, April and May in key fixtures and West Ham fans were clamouring for him to be dropped?

Mate he's barely out of his teens and already looks like a solid PL defender at worst. He's playing the position where the experience that comes with age arguably matters more than any other position on the pitch.

He was 4th in minutes played for us this season. First year in the league and very young, of course he was going to have some ups and downs, but turning basic squad rotation into him being dropped is a bit disingenuous. He literally played 1000 more minutes than the 2nd CB.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Not sure why anyone would say he's a bad defender when he's been at least above average for large parts of the season at the age of 21/22. Wouldn't say he's some world beater or anything but he'd definitely be a locked in 3rd choice at Arsenal currently behind Kos and Sokratis. Close-ish to Sokratis level I'd say, with huge upside of course.

Mate he's barely out of his teens and already looks like a solid PL defender at worst. He's playing the position where the experience that comes with age arguably matters more than any other position on the pitch.

He was 4th in minutes played for us this season. First year in the league and very young, of course he was going to have some ups and downs, but turning basic squad rotation into him being dropped is a bit disingenuous. He literally played 1000 more minutes than the 2nd CB.
Mate, if you scroll up you will see that I acknowledge his potential and my response has been that he’s not a top defender in the PL as was suggested.

I may have jumped the gun by saying he’s poverty but he wouldn’t improve us. Is he young with potential? Sure.

Lastly, you can definitely make the case he was dropped because he was overplayed and young which is similar to Guen’s situation, however let’s not pretend he’s some world beater as some have suggested. As young CB’s in the PL go, I’ve already said I prefer Holding, Gomez etc.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Mate, if you scroll up you will see that I acknowledge his potential and my response has been that he’s not a top defender in the PL as was suggested.

I may have jumped the gun by saying he’s poverty but he wouldn’t improve us. Is he young with potential? Sure.

Lastly, you can definitely make the case he was dropped because he was overplayed and young which is similar to Guen’s situation, however let’s not pretend he’s some world beater as some have suggested. As young CB’s in the PL go, I’ve already said I prefer Holding, Gomez etc.

Considering how much Mustafi has played this season I'm gonna say I strongly disagree with that statement. He'd be a very solid 3rd choice, and he's definitely shown more than Holding. He's also a year and a half younger than him with much better physical tools to build on.

With the way Pellegrini plays, our defenders have been asked to do a lot on their own and Diop has easily been the standout performer. Again, we're mid-table, so I'm of course not saying he's been world class or anywhere close to it, but if you were to take some of our players and add them to better clubs, Diop would probably be 2nd on most team's wish lists given his age.

Keep in mind that this conversation is obviously a bit weird to have right now given just how shambolic your defending has been with the human lowlight reel anchoring it for most of the season. That's why I'm specifically saying he'd be 3rd choice, with Koscielny and Sokratis ahead of him, Kos much more so than Sokratis.

Different argument whether you should actually go for him of course, given your reported limited funds. Probably too much of a risk given the price we'd likely demand. He's not quite there yet if your goal is to get consistent top 4 football, and you'd be paying the "PL player" tax + extra for being a club our fans wouldn't be suuuuper happy to sell to etc.

For the £20m or so we paid, he'd be a no-brainer, but we'd likely ask double that now, with good reason. He's shown leadership ability on top of his ability on the pitch, being named captain for Toulouse at the age of 19 etc.

In short, you're probably better off looking for your own Diop-type signing in Europe rather than spending extra to bring in more established young players, but I really reject the notion that he wouldn't improve your current team. He'd likely be a starter before the season was over, but at the same time that doesn't necessarily mean he's good enough to get you where you want to be.

Last edited:

say yes

forum master baiter
He's been linked to Atletico Madrid as a Godin replacement.

Atletico Madrid will have the almost impossible task of trying to replace Diego Godin in the summer, should the Uruguayan join Inter on a free as expected, but one name that has been linked to Los Rojiblancos is Gremio centre-back Walter Kannemann.

The 27-year-old, nicknamed the 'Viking' in his home nation of Argentina, has already played under Diego Simeone as they were together at San Lorenzo.

https://www.marca.com/en/football/spanish-football/2019/02/07/5c5c796de2704e65838b456b.html

If Atletico wants him then that’s good enough for me.

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
If we seriously buying this guy meaning 2 defenders are going likely mustafi and Chambers

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
If we seriously buying this guy meaning 2 defenders are going likely mustafi and Chambers

I've been thinking it likely that both Mustafi and Chambers might be moved this summer. Neither one are really top 6 quality players. I think Chambers is a guy who would interest quite a few clubs outside the top 6 and fetch a good price considering the season he had with Fulham. He could be an option at center back or defensive midfielder for a number of teams.

Kannemann has been a good player in Brazil, Mexico and Argentina. I've seen him a few times, including recently in Copa Libertadores, but I'm not qualified to say how well that would translate to the Premier League. I'll leave that to the professionals.

We are doing wonderful job! This is probably Edu guy and we are surprising other teams in top6 because they never thought that there might be good 28 year old CB still playing in South-America. Out smarting the market is what we need to do more of! Proud of Raul, Emery and Edu here!

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
I've been thinking it likely that both Mustafi and Chambers might be moved this summer. Neither one are really top 6 quality players. I think Chambers is a guy who would interest quite a few clubs outside the top 6 and fetch a good price considering the season he had with Fulham. He could be an option at center back or defensive midfielder for a number of teams.

Kannemann has been a good player in Brazil, Mexico and Argentina. I've seen him a few times, including recently in Copa Libertadores, but I'm not qualified to say how well that would translate to the Premier League. I'll leave that to the professionals.
I hope he is not our only defender signing I think we need a younger one too.

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
Hm, a 28 year old lad from SA.Feels quite the thin dicked signing, not the thickness i'm looking for. Always exciting with unknown players tho. I trust our team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom