• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Raul's Transfer Targets: Summer 2019

• Thread starter Aevi
  • Start date
  • Replies 13,667
  • Views 1,467,321

Who would you rather have?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Because he got game time. Think letting Gnabry leave was a massive misjudgement on the hands of the coaching staff. He hit the ground running at Bremen, then was a core player for Hoffenheim the season after, which highly suggests he was ready to break through and just needed to be put on the pitch, instead of go somwhere else to "develop" to the point where Arsenal could use him - especially as the other right wing options in 15/16 were a struggling Walcott, Campbell and Welbeck.
Gnabry was maybe my favourite player in our squad, I could just tell he was going to become a top player. I cant believe this club has given injury prone players like Diaby, Wilshere etc contract renewals after contract renewals but essentially chucked Gnabry in the bin after he had that long injury lay off. Loaning him to Pulis' West Brom? cmon... It's probably one of Wenger's biggest mistakes in terms of management of players Im very surprised he showed such a lack of regard towards Gnabry, not surprised he rejected a contract and left.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

We kept Iwobi and sold Gnabry for 5M to Bayern such an Arsenal thing to do. He could have easily have been sold at the same price Ox was going for, the lad is tearing it up now.

InfatuatedObviousBobwhite-size_restricted.gif

ShockingMemorableHackee-size_restricted.gif

He would have definitely been useful here had we persuaded him to stay.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Gnabry was maybe my favourite player in our squad, I could just tell he was going to become a top player. I cant believe this club has given injury prone players like Diaby, Wilshere etc contract renewals after contract renewals but essentially chucked Gnabry in the bin after he had that long injury lay off. Loaning him to Pulis' West Brom? cmon... It's probably one of Wenger's biggest mistakes in terms of management of players Im very surprised he showed such a lack of regard towards Gnabry, not surprised he rejected a contract and left.
Could think of far better places to loan an attacker than a Pulis managed West Brom team but to be fair he had just come back off of a major knee injury and needed a lot of game time to get back to where he was. His main issue at West Brom was one of fitness - in hindsight maybe would have been better to keep him and put him in the U23s but perhaps Wenger thought a Pulis team would be good for his fitness.

Either way, they pretty much sleepwalked into his final year because of the injury and they should have wrapped that up before sending him on loan. It was complacent and Gnabry jumped at the chance to leave and be a regular somewhere else. I think had we been a bit more proactive in blooding the young wingers a bit better here, the loss wouldn't be so visceral but here we are now with Iwobi and Mhkitaryan as wingers!

The key point in the above is "be a regular". Which is why we stand a good chance of losing our academy talents. I don't think they should be starters but regular minutes shouldn't be too much of a big deal - it's not like we have great players keeping them out of the side.

Gunner-Union

Cb, winger and a mobile cm or 2 if xhaka is sold. And I def want to see Nelson, willock, bielek, saka and ameachi interstates and used more

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
I was looking at the talented youngsters thread in talk football thread on the site and Ziyech was being talked about 2 years ago we should have been all out to get him back then.

He will cost 25 million now and admitted that his idol is Özil we should sign him up.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
What do you mean spending "that much" money? They just say he has an €80m release clause and that Valencia need €42m before end of june. Says nothing at how much he will cost.

I guess he would be a lot cheaper than normal because they need money. So he might be cheaper than £20m if the rumors are true.

But still I don't think we should waste too much money on a 2nd goalkeeper. I would take Martinez as nr. 2 but if he wants move sell him and give a young talented GK a chance (buy or academy).

I'm still quit worried how we will fare in the transfermarket if we don't win the EL next week.
  • We have no DoF
  • No clear transfer strategy
  • Maybe no CL
  • In club attractivnes probably just sixth atm in PL
  • Need to get rid of players with high salaries
  • Loosing academy players / don't trust them too much

If Neto's release clause is €80 million and Valencia needs to raise €42 million by the end of June, it's highly unlikely that they would sell Neto for €20 million. That would be less than half what they need, so they'd need to sell off others just to raise that much. I mean, seriously, why would they do that?

But even if they were willing to sell at such a cut rate price, I think Arsenal would be better off spending the money on Keylor Navas if the believe they need a goalkeeper. But I don't see them spending €20 million on a goalkeeper until they've filled more pressing needs.

picsou

Was reading a Belgian newspaper today, there was an interview with Yannick Carrasco, he talks about Arsenal interest in january, and that the club didn't want to let him leave. Now he really wants to leave and is basically beggin for us to come and get him saying he would be perfectly suited for the premier league . Don't know though, would prefer Zaha, but Carrasco will be cheap and can play the Kolasinac role

Last edited:

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Promising links so far.

Saliba, Dakonam would sort the centre of defence. That would leave LB and RB to sort. Tierney and Lala?

CM is a bit tricky. Nkunku as a number 8 that can shoot from the edge. Need a physical presence with pace also. Partey linked. Maybe Sangare would be an option?

We have people wanting to come to us. Ziyech and Carrasco want us. Do we want them? Do we have our heart set on Pepe?

A young creative force who can dribble and score goals to replace Iwobi on the wing. Are we looking at Maurice for that? Does that mean we can finally move Iwobi central?

Finally do we want a plan B? Do we want a Gomez. Someone more inclined to lead the line as a number 9 and bring others into play. Then surround him with dynamic players.

We are looking at 9 players coming in. The physical profile is currently correct. All seem to be faster and stronger. More dynamic and tactically flexible.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
If Neto's release clause is €80 million and Valencia needs to raise €42 million by the end of June, it's highly unlikely that they would sell Neto for €20 million. That would be less than half what they need, so they'd need to sell off others just to raise that much. I mean, seriously, why would they do that?

But even if they were willing to sell at such a cut rate price, I think Arsenal would be better off spending the money on Keylor Navas if the believe they need a goalkeeper. But I don't see them spending €20 million on a goalkeeper until they've filled more pressing needs.
They?? Why not we?

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
The key point in the above is "be a regular". Which is why we stand a good chance of losing our academy talents. I don't think they should be starters but regular minutes shouldn't be too much of a big deal - it's not like we have great players keeping them out of the side.

Was talking about this month ago with a few other posters. Top clubs are in for a sort of "exodus" of their own talents, because a) they refuse the a couple of minutes/games in the Carabao Cup and the Championship loan solution as they see other youngsters cutting it and getting game time in top flights, b) Championship teams are disinterested in educating top club talents because they either need the finished product to fight for promotion or have talents of their own since youth development has become vastly better in recent years.

Arsenal really needs to be clever about opening up perspectives for these young guys. Just loaning them to random teams lower in the table or in a lower league or a few minutes/early games in the Mickey Mouse Cup doesn't cut it anymore. These players and their agents/families know their value and they know you can break into top flight football at an ever earlier age. You need to give them a perspective of regular time in the first team and/or make sensible loan choices.

Last edited:

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Promising links so far.

Saliba, Dakonam would sort the centre of defence. That would leave LB and RB to sort. Tierney and Lala?

CM is a bit tricky. Nkunku as a number 8 that can shoot from the edge. Need a physical presence with pace also. Partey linked. Maybe Sangare would be an option?

We have people wanting to come to us. Ziyech and Carrasco want us. Do we want them? Do we have our heart set on Pepe?

A young creative force who can dribble and score goals to replace Iwobi on the wing. Are we looking at Maurice for that? Does that mean we can finally move Iwobi central?

Finally do we want a plan B? Do we want a Gomez. Someone more inclined to lead the line as a number 9 and bring others into play. Then surround him with dynamic players.

We are looking at 9 players coming in. The physical profile is currently correct. All seem to be faster and stronger. More dynamic and tactically flexible.

You can see 9 players coming in??
I'd be very sceptical for half of that.

benjamin86

Established Member
Was talking about this month ago with a few other posters. Top clubs are in for a sort of "exodus" of their own talents, because a) they refuse the a couple of minutes/games in the Carabao Cup and the Championship loan solution as they see other youngsters cutting it and getting game time in top flights, b) Championship teams are either disinterested in educating top club talents because they either need the finished product to fight for promotion or have talents of their own since youth development has become vastly better in recent years.

Arsenal really needs to be clever about opening up perspectives for these young guys. Just loaning them to random teams lower in the table or in a lower league or a few minutes/early games in the Mickey Mouse Cup doesn't cut it anymore. These players and their agents/families know their value and they know you can break into top flight football at an ever earlier age. You need to give them a perspective of regular time in the first team and/or make sensible loan choices.
Not sure if i was involved in that specific conversation but i've mentioned before that i'm surprised Man City don't utilize Girona or New York City more as "feeder" teams, they should be used as a viable step towards first team football. That might have avoided them losing players like Sancho and Diaz.

For us perhaps we could build a relationship with a foreign team to regularly send players on loan to instead of just sending them off to random clubs where they get limited game time.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Not sure if i was involved in that specific conversation but i've mentioned before that i'm surprised Man City don't utilize Girona or New York City more as "feeder" teams, they should be used as a viable step towards first team football. That might have avoided them losing players like Sancho and Diaz.

I think that these cooperations or feeder teams just don't work out (as easily) as we tend to think. The theory is easy: Form this sort of cooperation and club A can send its top talents to club B, who are happy to get some of them. But I think the reality and practicality of that is way more difficult.

It is harder to incorporate talent instead of proven quality, for big clubs and smaller clubs, as the first thing you look at is current performance. The only "easy" situation to do it is if you're in kind of no man's land. Teams in the middle of the table neither in punching distance of international spots and at the same time not in danger of relegation are the most likely to incorporate talent, as it's just the lowest risk situation for tempering with current performance in favour of giving game time to youngsters.

Even if e.g. Girona belong to the same onwners as City, there's surely very little interest in risking them playing in the 1st or 2nd division just so they will field more youngsters they loaned out from the parent club.

Young players need a working environment, at club, squad and performance level to grow. Very, very few youngsters come in and pull a relegation battling side up a few levels. A very good example is Timo Werner, you came into the fold of Stuttgart's first team as a massive talent, but was almost instantly tasked and burdened with the hopes of scoring the team out of the relegation zone. That's a massive burden for an 18 year old player and realistically something he has very little chance of succeeding in, considering most young players struggle with consistency - which is absolutely ok. They need a working architecture around them to flourish.
Our example Werner crumbled under that burden, left Stuttgart after they got relegated for Leipzig and instantly exploded in the vastly more settled environment of Red Bull.

So even if a smaller club is owned by the same people as a bigger club, it's in no one's interest to hazard that smaller club's performance and status by making them play 5 loaned out parent club youngsters. At the most you could probably have 3 at them at your disposal and work on properly incorporating them and giving them ample game time, but mostly it's even less, I'd tend to think.

You'd also have to completely align the two club's philosophies in terms of recruiting, development, manager choice, etc.

I think it's testament to the questionable nature of cooperations and feeder clubs that the only example of this working out more than it does not is the Red Bull franchise, which's standout feature is that all of the clubs in it are run by Rangnick and Mintzlaff, but at the same time are still kind of run as separate entities - testament to this being that players aren't mostly loaned out from Leipzig to Salzburg, but that Salzburg buys them and if they are ready for the next step it will be tried (mostly successfully) to keep them in the franchise, they will be sold on to big sister Leipzig. You should also keep in mind that these clubs are so entangled that their academies are basically one academy feeding both clubs. This kind of setup is a very longterm process and it's not surprising very few of these cooperations besides the very thought out, planned out Red Bull franchise work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom