• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Ibrahima Konate

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Apparently he bossed that game. Just get this fella and Saliba in, Burnley could punt balls into the box for a month and they wouldn't win a header.
Ah, it was the Bayern game. He didn't give Lewandowski a f*cking sniff. Different class on the day.

I think it's gotta be one or the other. Saliba is a year younger, but Konate is still only 19. He's very young too. And we do still have a surplus of U21 central defenders still at the club. Mavropanos is still around, and they may also still try to do something with Zech Medley, although while he's a tall lad, I don't think he's near ready. He's got good technique and great aerial ability but he needs more work on his fundamentals as a CB.

The more speculative signing would obviously be Saliba, but in some ways it could still be a smart one. That said, Konate would be the more sure bet as he's done well in a top 5 league. Big, powerful, young, good acceleration and he can defend.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Ah, it was the Bayern game. He didn't give Lewandowski a f*cking sniff. Different class on the day.

I think it's gotta be one or the other. Saliba is a year younger, but Konate is still only 19. He's very young too. And we do still have a surplus of U21 central defenders still at the club. Mavropanos is still around, and they may also still try to do something with Zech Medley, although while he's a tall lad, I don't think he's near ready. He's got good technique and great aerial ability but he needs more work on his fundamentals as a CB.

The more speculative signing would obviously be Saliba, but in some ways it could still be a smart one. That said, Konate would be the more sure bet as he's done well in a top 5 league. Big, powerful, young, good acceleration and he can defend.

You'd know more about Medley than I, but I don't get the sense we really have any CBs in the academy who can actually establish themselves. It's just so difficult. Nelson and ESR are our brightest talents and even they might not make it.

Konate, Saliba, Holding & Mavro and you're set for a decade. I'd be surprised if we brought both in, but I can also imagine Kos wanting to go back to France and Mavro simply isn't ready, really needs a loan. Mustafi is damaged goods. There is scope to bring in two, Konate could play straight away while Saliba could bed in. Makes sense on paper at least.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
You'd know more about Medley than I, but I don't get the sense we really have any CBs in the academy who can actually establish themselves. It's just so difficult. Nelson and ESR are our brightest talents and even they might not make it.

Konate, Saliba, Holding & Mavro and you're set for a decade. I'd be surprised if we brought both in, but I can also imagine Kos wanting to go back to France and Mavro simply isn't ready, really needs a loan. Mustafi is damaged goods. There is scope to bring in two, Konate could play straight away while Saliba could bed in. Makes sense on paper at least.
Oh I agree, defo could bring in two CBs - just don't think we could bring in 2 teenage CBs at the same time with a view to making them first teamers. Think we gotta bring in one of these two, and someone a bit more experienced. I'd be pleasantly surprised if we brought in both Konate and Saliba.

I agree about our CBs though. We have some talented CBs but establishing themselves will be tough. The one I rate the most is Danny Ballard but he seems the furthest away from contention despite being arguably the best CB in the academy.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
If Konate is attainable, I'd like to see us get Hermoso (l) + Konate (r). Saliba or Tah as a secondary option for Konate. I think that would be a nice mix of skill and physique to go with our current stock. Kos and Sok bring the experience, Holding gets time to return to his level at the beginning of this season(, which I thought was really high).

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Mustafi and Chambers out, replaced by Konate and Saliba. Mavro on loan.
Konate, Sokratis, Holding, Koscielny and Saliba would be an incredible selection of CB's.

I agree. I wouldn't go for Hermoso. Konate is dominant and in particular he is much better than Sarr and Upamecano in the air. We need one of those three now though. Sarr being left footed is also a draw. Him alongside Saliba in the long term would be interesting.

If we miss out in these 3 now. We will never get a chance to get them again. Capitalise on our good relationship with Leipzig.

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
I agree. I wouldn't go for Hermoso. Konate is dominant and in particular he is much better than Sarr and Upamecano in the air. We need one of those three now though. Sarr being left footed is also a draw. Him alongside Saliba in the long term would be interesting.

If we miss out in these 3 now. We will never get a chance to get them again. Capitalise on our good relationship with Leipzig.

Why we have a good relationship with Leipzig? Because we loan them out one player?

Contract until 2023, plastic club with a lot of money, 19 years and a 100% starter. How we want to get Konate and the others positions, we need?

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Why we have a good relationship with Leipzig? Because we loan them out one player?

Contract until 2023, plastic club with a lot of money, 19 years and a 100% starter. How we want to get Konate and the others positions, we need?

Don't forget Leipzig will be playing CL next season. Just as Leverkusen, cause someone mentioned Jonathan Tah.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Never seen him or Saliba but I'd prefer this guy. He fits the profile we badly need and he sounds like he could be elite.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
I don't really get the ESR situation. Maybe someone can explain it. They take a player on loan from us who is smashing it in our cup games, bring him in to what I understand is a very competitive side. He plays 28 minutes in 6 months and they want to take him on another loan?

Complete waste of 6 months of his career when he was just making his breakthrough.

He was injured.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
I don't really get the ESR situation. Maybe someone can explain it. They take a player on loan from us who is smashing it in our cup games, bring him in to what I understand is a very competitive side. He plays 28 minutes in 6 months and they want to take him on another loan?

Complete waste of 6 months of his career when he was just making his breakthrough.

He got injured at the end of January, then struggled with fitness and sharpness because of that, then got another injury. But when he was deemed fit, which unfortunately was only 3 or 4 times, he was in the match squad. There were also instant rumours RB wanted buy him or at least loan him out for another season, which I don't think is off the table.

So, in short: No one ****ed up here, he didn't play because of injury, which was unlucky for all sides, Arsenal, Leipzig and him.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Never seen him or Saliba but I'd prefer this guy. He fits the profile we badly need and he sounds like he could be elite.

I've always said we need to get them before they break out. Martinelli and Maurice are examples.

However we need to think about a pairing. Konate reminds me of Davinson Sanchez. We you have that much physical ability, that becomes your weapon. His passing isn't that good either.

Saliba is very right sided, very front footed and also has the recovery speed. If we buy him which seems to be the year before he really breaks out. Then you need to pair him with a Holding or a Joachim Anderson. I'd even say a Malang Sarr possibly over an Upamecano and Konate. They need to compliment each other.

It's why Mertesacker and Koscielny worked and Vermaelen and Koscielny didn't. Having that reader/passer is important.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
I've always said we need to get them before they break out. Martinelli and Maurice are examples.

However we need to think about a pairing. Konate reminds me of Davinson Sanchez. We you have that much physical ability, that becomes your weapon. His passing isn't that good either.

Saliba is very right sided, very front footed and also has the recovery speed. If we buy him which seems to be the year before he really breaks out. Then you need to pair him with a Holding or a Joachim Anderson. I'd even say a Malang Sarr possibly over an Upamecano and Konate. They need to compliment each other.

It's why Mertesacker and Koscielny worked and Vermaelen and Koscielny didn't. Having that reader/passer is important.
I'd take a Konate/Saliba with Hermoso. That would serve a lot of purposes imo.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Would love him here provided that we keep Koscielny. Koscielny and Sokratis as experienced options - the relatively experienced Konate and Holding as ready to take over back up and Mavrapanos as 5th choice.

Sell Mustafi and Chambers.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
We'd have to make a play now though before the likes of Juve, PSG, Madrid and Chelsea (after ban) start sniffing.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom