• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
That being said, I would like us to be more ruthless and get rid of a lot of players who have been found wanting in effort/fighting spirit (Özil, Mkhitaryan) or quality (Iwobi, Elneny, Xhaka, Mustafi, Chambers etc.).

Some (negative) observations about our squad that I hope we address in summer:
- it's rather old
- lack of players to get truly excited about
- very few properly exciting matches
- lacking play in posession, which translates to lower 'chances created'
- outperformed our xG, which covers up our declining level of play
- still leaking goals left and right, many individual errors

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
I shudder at the thought. This is Arsenal, not Stoke.

Of course effort is the starting point, but the day Arsenal is no longer about skill/technique is the day I lose interest.

I would rather see a team play beautiful football and often go down heroically, but sometimes take home a prize, than to support a 'Mourinho' team.

Would love milner/Henderson type in our squad right now. They the type that give the more skillful players the platform to do their thing.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I shudder at the thought. This is Arsenal, not Stoke.

Of course effort is the starting point, but the day Arsenal is no longer about skill/technique is the day I lose interest.

I would rather see a team play beautiful football and often go down heroically, but sometimes take home a prize, than to support a 'Mourinho' team.

Go down heroically? That usually means by putting up a fight. To be honest too many fans want beautiful football and to win things. Unfortunately that isn't an easy combination.

My post wasn't to say I don't want to see attractive football. My post was to say I would rather have 10 outfield footballers with less talent and skill but more effort and fight than a team full of tricksters and silky footballers who basically dont show when it's put to them and the other team doesn't just let them play.

You wouldn't look at Liverpool and say that was a highly skilled team in terms of beautiful football. On their day they have it in them but take away the front 3 and it's all hardworking less skilled players.

It's about balance.

And while we shouldn't be a Stoke we do need to get back to basics with our defence. Our best sides in the last 20 years had 4-5 less skilled players who could fight. How many does this side currently have?

MikeVinna

Established Member
That being said, I would like us to be more ruthless and get rid of a lot of players who have been found wanting in effort/fighting spirit (Özil, Mkhitaryan) or quality (Iwobi, Elneny, Xhaka, Mustafi, Chambers etc.).

- it's rather old

I’d actually like to see Holding and Chambers in our squad next season instead of Mustafi and Elneny.. Both have performed well when given a spell in the team and Chambers was very decent for West Ham in midfield.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Go down heroically? That usually means by putting up a fight. To be honest too many fans want beautiful football and to win things. Unfortunately that isn't an easy combination.

My post wasn't to say I don't want to see attractive football. My post was to say I would rather have 10 outfield footballers with less talent and skill but more effort and fight than a team full of tricksters and silky footballers who basically dont show when it's put to them and the other team doesn't just let them play.

You wouldn't look at Liverpool and say that was a highly skilled team in terms of beautiful football. On their day they have it in them but take away the front 3 and it's all hardworking less skilled players.

It's about balance.

And while we shouldn't be a Stoke we do need to get back to basics with our defence. Our best sides in the last 20 years had 4-5 less skilled players who could fight. How many does this side currently have?
We barely even have tricky or silky footballers anymore anyway.

We have a shortage of both.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20

It's about balance.

Like I said, I do agree with you that effort should be the basis. I may have misinterpreted the rest of your post.

I think effort vs. skill is a false dichotemy though. Ziyech, for instance, combines them both. Players like Torreira, Barella, Aouar seem to combine it too. In the past we had Wilshere, Arteta, Sanchez.

Currently, we are lacking warriors. I count Kos, Sokratis, Torreira, Ramsey and an argument could be made for Guendouzi. Of these, I think Torreira is the only one who could combine it with the required (in my eyes) technical ability to play the 'Arsenal way'.

Hopefully some of our summer acquisitions (like last summer) bring some more grit to our team (and technical ability, which we're also sorely lacking).

That's why I'd rather get a CB like Hermoso than a wall of meat and why I'd like Ziyech on RW and Barella or Aouar as our marque CM signing. We also need to upgrade on Kolasinac who I think is rather braindead in attack and Iwobi on LW.

Ziyech+Aouar in our starting line-up would more than cover the hole left by Özil if we were to get rid of him. The three of them combining would probably be a wonderful sight to see.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Like I said, I do agree with you that effort should be the basis. I may have misinterpreted the rest of your post.

I think effort vs. skill is a false dichotemy though. Ziyech, for instance, combines them both. Players like Torreira, Barella, Aouar seem to combine it too. In the past we had Wilshere, Arteta, Sanchez.

Currently, we are lacking warriors. I count Kos, Sokratis, Torreira, Ramsey and an argument could be made for Guendouzi. Of these, I think Torreira is the only one who could combine it with the required (in my eyes) technical ability to play the 'Arsenal way'.

Hopefully some of our summer acquisitions (like last summer) bring some more grit to our team (and technical ability, which we're also sorely lacking).

That's why I'd rather get a CB like Hermoso than a wall of meat and why I'd like Ziyech on RW and Barella or Aouar as our marque CM signing. We also need to upgrade on Kolasinac who I think is rather braindead in attack and Iwobi on LW.

Ziyech+Aouar in our starting line-up would more than cover the hole left by Özil if we were to get rid of him. The three of them combining would probably be a wonderful sight to see.

Yeah it's trying to get that combination. It's not exclusively one or the other but we definately need more who work tirelessly and really bleed for the shirt. And if not the shirt for their own personal pride.

A lot of these current players just don't seem bothered anymore. I always refer to Milner because he's the first I think of when I think of an honest, hard-working player who knows the only thing he can rely on is hard work and effort. He makes mistakes like everyone but he just fights and keeps going. You never see him dropping the head sulking.

Ziyech for me is a no brainer. Everything hinges on champions league but if we manage to win I can't see why we can't say tie up 3 or 4 deals early then let players leave.

Centre half, left back and wide creative player is definately needed. Box to box as well and as I said in previous posts I want this players to be relatively young. 26 or under. You don't want to have to build a squad every 3 years.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Would love milner/Henderson type in our squad right now. They the type that give the more skillful players the platform to do their thing.
Nooooooooooo
We don’t even have a skillful player after cazorla left. Now you want to add more non skillful players. I don’t want us turning into pulis stoke.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant

Ziyech and Aouar are both fantastic players. Aouar would have a better value if we sell him in 5 years time, so financially speaking I would go for Aouar if I have to choose one.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Yeah it's trying to get that combination. It's not exclusively one or the other but we definately need more who work tirelessly and really bleed for the shirt. And if not the shirt for their own personal pride.

A lot of these current players just don't seem bothered anymore. I always refer to Milner because he's the first I think of when I think of an honest, hard-working player who knows the only thing he can rely on is hard work and effort. He makes mistakes like everyone but he just fights and keeps going. You never see him dropping the head sulking.

Ziyech for me is a no brainer. Everything hinges on champions league but if we manage to win I can't see why we can't say tie up 3 or 4 deals early then let players leave.

Centre half, left back and wide creative player is definately needed. Box to box as well and as I said in previous posts I want this players to be relatively young. 26 or under. You don't want to have to build a squad every 3 years.
Box to box is not needed.

We need a silky midfielders who play smart, read the game well, dictate tempo, skillful, play one two/one touch pass/beautiful through pass, have great first touch, ball control, tactical knowledge, decision making, passing and positioning.

Not someone who based their game on hard work. Play ugly boring disgusting football. Run into the opponent box and leave huge gaps in the midfield for the opponent to exploit.

If you have the option to sign good players, why go for **** players?

Last edited:

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀

We need a silky midfielders who play smart, read the game well, dictate tempo, skillful, play one two/one touch pass/beautiful through pass, have great first touch, ball control, tactical knowledge, decision making, passing and positioning.

Not someone who based their game on hard work. Play ugly boring disgusting football. Run into the opponent box and leave huge gaps in the midfield for the opponent to exploit.

When did box to box midfielder become **** players?

Who has the exhaustive list of qualities you desire that we could sign?

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Box to box is exactly what we need. You be just described a box to box midfielder. They know when to make the run. That's why they are box to box.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
When did box to box midfielder become **** players?

Who has the exhaustive list of qualities you desire that we could sign?
I’m not listing the the big names, they will probably be expensive.
These young talents are good enough, even if they cost a bit, we can make a good return out of them.

AM: Aouar,
CM: Cuisance, Tonali,
DM: Ndombele

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Box to box is exactly what we need. You be just described a box to box midfielder. They know when to make the run. That's why they are box to box.
If the opponent gets the ball and counter, it’s almost certain that we will be outnumbered in the midfield area.
We are not stoke, we are suppose to play the best football in Europe. Box to box is overrated in England.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
We are not stoke, we are suppose to play the best football in Europe. Box to box is overrated in England.

What? A box to box midfielder is a complete midfielder. They can dribble, pass, shoot, tackle and have the intelligence to attack and defend. None of that means they are not skilful or silky. It just means they have both sides to their game.

Arturo Vidal at his peak was a complete midfielder. We need that player. We need two way players.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I’m not listing the the big names, they will probably be expensive.
These young talents are good enough, even if they cost a bit, we can make a good return out of them.

AM: Aouar,
CM: Cuisance, Tonali,
DM: Ndombele

Ndombele isn't a DM. Aouar isn't an AM.

Ndombele is a box to box and so is Aouar.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
What? A box to box midfielder is a complete midfielder. They can dribble, pass, shoot, tackle and have the intelligence to attack and defend. None of that means they are not skilful or silky. It just means they have both sides to their game.

Arturo Vidal at his peak was a complete midfielder. We need that player. We need two way players.
We need a iniesta/modric in AM, a xavi/pirlo in CM, and a gattusso/makelele in DM (talking in playing style, not ability).

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Ndombele isn't a DM. Aouar isn't an AM.

Ndombele is a box to box and so is Aouar.
Not really.

If you’ve watched their game, Aouar mainly operates in the final third. He doesn’t track all the way back to do a lot of defensively work, doesn’t carries the ball too much until the team reaches the opponent box and doesn’t run with the ball from the central midfield area all the way up to the final third.
Ndombele does run with the ball sometimes but he normally release it way before he reaches the final third, he will stay in his midfield position without getting further forward unless the whole team shift a bit forward.
They both are quite responsible with their positioning and know how to play their part. You won’t see Aouar doing tackle just in front of his own box like Ndombele would do. And you won’t see Ndombele doing those dribble and passes in the edge of the opponent box like Aouar would do.

Last edited:

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares

- it's rather old

You missed out the biggest thing which is we don't have players that fit in their actual position;
- 2 strikers with no wingers
- An LB that can't actually play LB and is exhausted by the 60th minute and another one who's maybe got one more good season in him.
- 1 RB that's been injured all season with no back up.
- No CB's that can lead a back line, we really don't have a set back 4 as all our CBs are bench worthy.
- Our best midfielder (Xhaka) is only good at passing and a liability everywhere else, so imagine how bad the rest are.

We need to copy whatever Liverpool is doing in squad building cos this is abysmal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom