• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

My mind hasnt changed from last night. That starting 11 isnt good enough. Actively punt them over the coming years. Aubameyang, Lacazette, Özil, Xhaka, Kolasnic, Koscielny and Monreal. It will be a long process but worth it. They are either not good enough for where we want to go, good but inconsistent or simply not good enough. Combine that together you get the **** storm we had last night.

Jae

I'm done with this current squad, I couldn't care less what we do next season now. There's a handful of players that are worth keeping, but honestly I'd be glad to see the back of 90% of them.

Play the kids and see where we end up at the end of the season. It'll still be more constructive than persisting with this load of dross.

Impact

Established Member
I think, as some have said, that we've suffered from slowly losing technical players in our team. The few who are left are incapable of producing consistently.

I don't think Emery is the guy to handle a switch back to a more technical side either, he's shown himself to prefer a more conservative approach. I don't like the direction we're heading in.

Emery isn't the issue. He's a pragmatist that will play the system/tactics that best suits the personnel he has at his disposal. Problem is said personnel. It's one-paced, lacks dynamism/intensity, is unbalanced, ageing, and technically deficient. Better players will lead to better outcomes.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
If a big offer came in for one of Lacazette or Aubameyang, which one would you rather keep?

A lot is made of their partnership and understanding, but I wonder if it's exaggerated as a result of their off-field friendship. They're two good players, so of course they will sometimes link up well, but in purely football terms I don't see a particular understanding there. It's hardly Bergkamp-Henry.

I'd be inclined to sell Lacazette. I think if you put Auba central with one defined role, just score goals and other players will do the creative work, he could have another 4-5 years at the top. Whereas I think Laca up front by himself probably doesn't end up scoring as much as Auba would.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Plus, y'know, we need money, and you could probably get more for Laca than for Auba, considering he's a bit younger.

Keep Auba and hope he does a Wrighty and plays well into his 30's.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
If a big offer came in for one of Lacazette or Aubameyang, which one would you rather keep?

A lot is made of their partnership and understanding, but I wonder if it's exaggerated as a result of their off-field friendship. They're two good players, so of course they will sometimes link up well, but in purely football terms I don't see a particular understanding there. It's hardly Bergkamp-Henry.

I'd be inclined to sell Lacazette. I think if you put Auba central with one defined role, just score goals and other players will do the creative work, he could have another 4-5 years at the top. Whereas I think Laca up front by himself probably doesn't end up scoring as much as Auba would.
I'd keep both.

I've thought long, we cannot sell any one of them unless we get replacements who are just as good as them.

If I had to sell, I'd sell Auba. Laca is much more rounded than Auba.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It's time to blow it up and start again. This may be the only opportunity to do it. We may finish 7th next season if we do it, but it has to be done. If we finished the season with Champions league qualification we would have chased players out of our league.

It's time to be humble. We are where we belong right now. We need to become attractive again. That means selling our assets, buying young, buying unknown and promoting youth. We need to be the club that gives young players a chance and once you get in the Champions League you blow your money on top talent.

Is Emery the manager to work with youth though? That is the question.

Kroket

Trusty and Sensible
It's time to blow it up and start again. This may be the only opportunity to do it. We may finish 7th next season if we do it, but it has to be done. If we finished the season with Champions league qualification we would have chased players out of our league.

It's time to be humble. We are where we belong right now. We need to become attractive again. That means selling our assets, buying young, buying unknown and promoting youth. We need to be the club that gives young players a chance and once you get in the Champions League you blow your money on top talent.

Is Emery the manager to work with youth though? That is the question.

Inclined to agree with this. No point in hobbling to fifth/sixth place finishes with mediocre, ageing, overpaid dross - if we're going to spend a couple of years in transition we might as well go all the way, especially now that we have a couple of decent youngsters waiting in the wings.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
Leno
Martinez

Bellerin
Maitland-Niles
Kolasinac
Monreal
Sokraits
Holding
Mavropanos
Chambers

Torreira
Xhaka
Guendouzi
Willock
Smith-Rowe

Martinelli
Saka
Nelson
Nketiah
Lacazette
Aubameyang

Add a LB, CB, MF, and Winger.

Obviously just guessing, and it's also a best case scenario of getting rid of the dross and dumping salary.

Last edited:

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

The proper mentally rotten ones like Özil, Mustfi, probably Kos? Xhaka HAVE to go. They far too often impact the mentality of the rest of the team. That's step 1 this summer imo.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Leno
Martinez

Bellerin
Maitland-Niles
Kolasinac
Monreal
Sokraits
Holding
Mavropanos
Chambers

Torreira
Xhaka
Guendouzi
Willock
Smith-Rowe

Martinelli
Saka
Nelson
Nketiah
Lacazette
Aubameyang

Add a LB, CB, MF, and Winger.

Obviously just guessing and it's also a best case scenario.

So uninspiring.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Frustrating looking at the squad as you can see it’s a multi year job.

Left backs aren’t good enough, center backs are dodgy, we’ve got no starting quality wingers and a pedestrian midfield.

Club has to prioritise, bring in say a LB and a CB then give chances to the likes of Bielik, Willock and Nelson.

Then next year go after the wingers and midfielders.

PoleInGoal

Player:Tomiyasu
We are in exactly the same position now as Liverpool 3 years ago. Out of the CL and just lost the UEL final.

The next two years will be key, Liverpool overhauled their squad with smart transfers and selling at the right time, they didn't spend huge money until last summer. This was enough to get them back into top 4. We need to approach the problem in the same way.

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
Frustrating looking at the squad as you can see it’s a multi year job.

Left backs aren’t good enough, center backs are dodgy, we’ve got no starting quality wingers and a pedestrian midfield.

Club has to prioritise, bring in say a LB and a CB then give chances to the likes of Bielik, Willock and Nelson.

Then next year go after the wingers and midfielders.
I'm just the opposite. Think we should be focusing on wingers. We've needed them for a long, long time. I'm of the belief that if we can put teams on the backfoot with our attack, then we can give the defense another year before retooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom