• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Expectations from Emery's first season, 2018/19

What are your expectations of the new manager's first season with us?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jae

he wasn’t 6 points clear at any point, though. That's what defines a bottle job.

You're clutching at straws here massively mate. As I said, we were top of the league at New Year and we were odds on bookies favourites to win it, and most people expected us to win it, including everyone on here.

I love Wenger as much as anyone but a bottle job is a bottle job, you can't have one rule for one manager and not the other. There were plenty of times in Wenger's tenure that we fell at the final hurdle. Our team over the last 10-15 years has always had a questionable mentality.

Our club has slowly eroded over time, we've replaced quality with inferiority and our winners with weak minded players.

Last edited:

GDeep™

League is very weak
The state of some of these posts :lol:

Losing the title to Leicester ****ing City (aka the favourites for relegation) now wasn’t a bottlejob?
A bottle job would be us being in pole position and then collapsing when it matters? Just like this season when we were in pole position for 3rd place but collapsed the last two months.

We were never at any point had control of that “title race”.

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
I always thought Leicester was on Wenger and us only bringing in Cech almost amounted to sabotage. But I gotta say our recent performance in the market and rumours of only 40mil budget is making me question things a bit tbh. Was it possible we simply didn't have money to spend somehow?

Regardless he should have left after that season, all the other top teams other than Tottenham considered it a failure and changed managers too.

Flying Okapis

Most Well-Known Member
Yeah I agree with all you have wrote and I really think the team capitulates because no one really knows what they are trying to do . They just don't have the belief or that foundation system to fall back on .

Yep, its the identity and known expectation of the clubs style that can sometimes carry you through when needed.

City have it, Liverpool, Barca, Juve, Ajax, Atleti all have it, the teams who have fight, comebacks or fairy tale endings have it, the teams who don't ie us and Man Utd look confused and when stuff goes wrong have nowhere to turn.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
I didn't have any expectations to begin with up until top 4 and winning Europa seemed a real possibility. The squad lacks quality and balance but Emery has to take credit for both being able to getting my hopes up and faltering.

Jae

A bottle job would be us being in pole position and then collapsing when it matters? Just like this season when we were in pole position for 3rd place but collapsed the last two months.

We were never at any point had control of that “title race”.

Pole position? Does being top of the league not count? Can't see how we could possibly get much more control than that :lol:

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Pole position? Does being top of the league not count? Can't see how we could possibly get much more control than that :lol:
That team went from this:
Untitled.jpg

To this:
image.jpg

Not a bottle job tho :rofl:

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

I got to say we didn't bottle it imo, Far from it , after Cazorla went down and then Coquelin we really struggled in midfield , 2nd half of the season we were getting pinned back by midftalbe teams even but we found ways to win .We might have beaten Leicester at the Emirates but that was a robbery ,they were the better team , Have watched us win 4 titles and all of them build momentum , we on the other hand were grinding to a halt in 2015.

Unfair on that team to say we bottled it , we just weren't good enough ability wise .

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
Its the hope that gets you...wasnt expecting much better than we got. A few key points near the end killed us, some refereeing decisions and injuries murdered us but the players not stepping up as well. Like tbh I dont think anyone was hoping for much more than what we got at the start of the season. I expected improvements to our consistency but when I think back we were actually so dreadful not only in defence but going forward.

Personally Im dissapointed with how the season went but being realistic was expecting 5th and europa league final, hoping for top 4 AND europa league win next year depending on how quickly bellerin and holding are back and the other teams strengthen.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
That team went from this:
Untitled.jpg

To this:
image.jpg

Not a bottle job tho :rofl:
no it wasn't. Don't shift the criteria.

we went from 2 PPG to 1.9 PPG approx. Leicester went the other way from 1.8 to 2.1. Our form went slightly down, while they kept improving.

We maintained our level throughout, our performances didn't drop significantly.

In 2007,we went from 50 in 21 games, 2.4 PPG to 83 points in 38, barely 2 PPG over the last 10 games. we were 3 point clear on top, and 11 clear of 3rd, and ended up in 3rd. That is a bottle.

Swear to god people have short memories mate.
and insane logic

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Emery has done enough to justify calling the season one of progress. Up one position in the table and reaching the Europa League Final.

But the worrying signs are there. It's only Manu's implosion that allowed us to better our league position and with players leaving and getting beyond their best and no money to replace them whilst our rivals get stronger it's hard to see where the optimism will come from.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Emery has done enough to justify calling the season one of progress. Up one position in the table and reaching the Europa League Final.

But the worrying signs are there. It's only Manu's implosion that allowed us to better our league position and with players leaving and getting beyond their best and no money to replace them whilst our rivals get stronger it's hard to see where the optimism will come from.
like last season transfers you have to be smart with signings but progress for me this summer is to sell as much of the deadwood and high earners but this will mean it will give chance to sign better players in future.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
like last season transfers you have to be smart with signings but progress for me this summer is to sell as much of the deadwood and high earners but this will mean it will give chance to sign better players in future.
The highest earners we have are Özil and Mkhitaryan. Can't see us selling or loaning either this summer but let's see. That would release wages (I think the players leaving already release 350/400k a week) but it still wouldn't generate transfer funds.

Two or three players is the most we'll get (unless we get someone on a free) so youth players will have to play a greater role next season.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom