• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Post-Season Discussion 2018/19

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

What was the most exciting moment for you btw? One moment.

The day Unai got appointed ofc.

But in terms of actually in the season, that Sp**s win. Right then I thought every single thing about Arsenal had changed and we were going to have a very special season. Such a shame we didn't build on it.

asukru

Established Member

Player:Martinelli
Although we were getting lucky with our unbeaten record and there was some exciting team goals along with our EL run and almost finishing in the top 4 - I would say this season was a fail considering our goal was getting back into the top 4/CL. I believe the next 5 years or so we will become Sp**s of old - getting close to making top 4 once in a while and maybe making CL only to get humiliated. I hate to say it but we are going to struggle I think - only way forward for us is someone splashing the cash on us, which, I don't see unfortunately.

Hleb's Sirush

Established Member
The day Unai got appointed ofc.

But in terms of actually in the season, that Sp**s win. Right then I thought every single thing about Arsenal had changed and we were going to have a very special season. Such a shame we didn't build on it.

Don't know how we can go from performances like that one to capitulation like the final.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Am I the only one who thought this season was exciting? Any season that involves a new manager taking over one that's been here 22 years will always be exciting, it's an 8/10 just for the complete unknown of what would happen.

Thats the way I see it anyway.
Yeah, it was exciting in a lot of ways. New manager, new regime, Torreira, Douzi. We actually performed against big teams. Despite the collapse we unexpectedly made a European final and almost got CL twice. There are positives. There has been some great play at times and some great goals.

There have been some highs.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Yeah, it was exciting in a lot of ways. New manager, new regime, Torreira, Douzi. We actually performed against big teams. Despite the collapse we unexpectedly made a European final and almost got CL twice. There are positives. There has been some great play at times and some great goals.

There have been some highs.

Yep, shame it all ended in doom and gloom and those who question Emery are right to do so.

However that 22 game unbeaten run was incredible as well, not because it was an amazing feat, bad teams, luck, but the fact it seriously united the fan base.

I always wonder what the reaction would be had we started awful and did the 22 games unbeaten at the end to just miss out on top. Guarantee it'd be very different.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Yep, shame it all ended in doom and gloom and those who question Emery are right to do so.

However that 22 game unbeaten run was incredible as well, not because it was an amazing feat, bad teams, luck, but the fact it seriously united the fan base.

I always wonder what the reaction would be had we started awful and did the 22 games unbeaten at the end to just miss out on top. Guarantee it'd be very different.
Yeah, we were pretty difficult to watch but pretty difficult to beat.

Anyway, the current high fliers with the new managers when they started didn't immediately get it going and its a greater challenge here so it was never going to be an easy journey.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity

If we done it at the end that means we would have won the Europa, ffs.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Last month changed my rating for this season from 8/10 to 5/10 average and same old. everyone is to blame between players and manager.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I don't have a rating, I had things I kinda liked and a lot of things I didn't.

I liked Emery's results-oriented approach to matches. He was willing to be flexible in order to get the win and try different shapes and strategies. I liked that he attempted to raise the game of a few individuals who had difficulties in the last season. Iwobi and Bellerin were the two who improved a lot - Iwobi definitely tailed off towards the end and Bellerin got hurt but I liked what Emery did with those two players.

That said, there was a lot stuff I didn't like. I wanted us to have a bit more structure, but to still maintain being an attacking team. I feel like this dwindled over the course of the season and while our strikers did a good job in front of goal, our attack was not only stagnant, but we only had one coordinated move and it was to play Kolasinac in for a cutback. His attacking movement was good but his final ball really wasn't all that.

The defending still suffered, and although much was due to personnel, we didn't really have a solid defensive strategy. We seemed to flit between pressing and sitting. I can't blame Emery for this that much but it's clear that they need to work a bit smarter. I think better personnel will help.

The biggest disappointment for me was the lack of youth integration. It was the thing I was looking forward to the most this season, as the word from the fraud Gazidis was that Emery had this dossier about all the young players and what could be done to improve them, and they earmarked bringing through talent as something they were going to continue doing. Instead, we got one sustained youth influence and that was a Summer signing in Guendouzi, a player who I like a lot but was the only one who really got shine. AMN was marginalized until Bellerin tore his ACL and he was forced to play - in a position that he really isn't that great in. He liked Smith-Rowe to be fair, but he was still very conservative with him. Nketiah I understood but there were games he could have played. Once Saka had his debut and proved he could be effective, he should have been seen more. Willock will be the most disappointed as he had the most productive season of all the youngsters and didn't play anywhere enough for the first team.

I wanted Emery to be braver and drop the seniors after sustained poor performances but this didn't happen anywhere near enough and that left me feeling more disconnected from matches more and more over the season, with lineups full of players I just don't want to see in Arsenal colours. You know what's sad? We got slapped 4-1 in a European final by one of our biggest rivals and I honestly didn't give that much of a sh*t in truth. The only thing that gave me some kind of reaction was seeing Willock in the final, and Iwobi doing well. I was encouraged by AMNs first half aswell. I still want him in midfield. I was just numb with mild disappointment overall. I guess, the biggest damning indictment is that I care a lot about the club but I don't care about this team. I only care about the young players who could potentially be our future. And that's all I'm looking forward to.

Regarding Emery, I don't think he's the guy. I don't think we should sack him, but he should be regarded as transitional. We need to be focused on a long term rebuild. But links to guys like Meunier and Fraser don't really fill me with great optimism of a rebuild. So that's where we are.

say yes

forum master baiter
6/10 season.

Positives: more points, tactical flexibility, performances against big teams

Negatives: end of season collapse, away form still rubbish, not enough faith in youth, underlying stats

HollandGooner

Established Member

Player:Ødegaard
If we are getting out spended by a lot of clubs we cannot hold up its just not Emery´s fault he needs full backing from Kroenke or we will finish behind the top 4 big time.

pigge

#Pigge #Equality

Player:Martinelli
Decent season. Never expected US to get top4 nor get into a european final. Was in running for both and played well vs THE top6. 7/10. Expect more next season though.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Guendozi although I have dogged on him some is like the only positive about this season really

Preseason Emery had us playing 433 and then we never saw it also flusters me

And that we never tried 4312

Top Bottom