• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Expectations from Emery's first season, 2018/19

What are your expectations of the new manager's first season with us?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
Emery inherited a disjointed squad. Gazidis and Sven both resigned and/or left in the middle of the season. Arsenal have been scrambling to fill these roles. The club appeared to be in crisis all over the place due to this and it manifested with the Ramsey contract talks break down losing him on a free. That's embarrassing.

Our starting RB, CB, and Midfielder were lost for the season during said season. We made some good signings but also some filler in order to try and duct tape the holes (Lich) which turned out poorly and forced us into playing young guys too much (Guen) or out of position too often (AMN). We had a bizarre stand off between the coach and a high profile player (Özil).

Playing Xhaka at CB and LB at times should really explain it all to the ****show Emery inherited. It was a disappointing season since Emery got us in position to get top 4 and a shot at winning EL but overall I think he did well. I enjoyed this season more than the previous two seasons. The man deserves one more but if the results are similar to this campaign then it's time to move on.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Unfair on that team to say we bottled it , we just weren't good enough ability wise .

nah I don't think so.. After that last minute win against Leicester we were 2 point behind with all the momentum on our side.. We go on to lose to Manu's reserve team and Swansea at home, both games we should have won.. That's textbook bottling imo.

Agree don't think this team are bottlers but I think the coaching/management has let them down .

This team is bottlers too, easiest run in and they get 1 point in 4 games. You can talk about quality, but we were favoured to win in all of those games.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

nah I don't think so.. After that last minute win against Leicester we were 2 point behind with all the momentum on our side.. We go on to lose to Manu's reserve team and Swansea at home, both games we should have won.. That's textbook bottling imo.

This team is bottlers too, easiest run in and they get 1 point in 4 games. You can talk about quality, but we were favoured to win in all of those games.

Yeah good point actually about Man U but Swansea at home was down to a ****e midfield imo .

Yeah Palace game was a whole of of bottling going on , Manager bottled the selection , then Mustafi and then the manager kills the momentum with the subs .

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
like last season transfers you have to be smart with signings but progress for me this summer is to sell as much of the deadwood and high earners but this will mean it will give chance to sign better players in future.
So true. Forget about signings. Shift the rubbish who take up a good portion of the 25 places.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan

There's surely a lot to put on the players, but setting up like he did when the mantra should've been to go out and streamroll those teams to secure CL is absolutely on the manager, too. Put caution and handbrake into the minds of your players and they will play like that.

When watching the CL final tonight, a friend told about an interview he saw with an absolute fringe player, Oliver Kirch, who was playing for Dortmund when Klopp was still there. And at some CL stage for injuries and cards, he got into the team. So in that interview he was asked about Klopp's half time speeches and motivational abilities. The guy said Klopp is absolutely crazy, he's so crazy he actually believes in what he's talking about, and it makes the players believe. He thinks they can beat anyone, and he manages to make his players think that.

So if your manager is always cautious and sets you up defensively even against usual cannon fodder and puts that handbrake into your mind, that's how you will play.

Last edited:

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
If someone had said before the season that we'd miss out on top 4 by a point and lose in the EL Final then I may have considered it a success for him. But to bottle our position with 6 matches remaining when he had the easiest run in by far and a pole position is unforgivable. To rest players needlessly and tinker as if we could overlook any of those opponents is unforgivable. To then compound that stupidity by playing a washed up keeper who is going to be employed by your opponent in a matter of weeks as if giving him a send off is secondary to the job you were hired to do is absolutely criminal.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
It was blocked of the other board because someone lost an argument but the debate was how many Leicester players would start for us. Whoever is in charge of th thread didn't like what was coming do locked it.

But what I would say is in a mix between the 2.

Schmicheal
Bellerin
Maguire
Sokratis
Chillwell
Ndini
Torreria
Xhaka/guendouzi
Maddison
Lacazette
Aubamyeng

Basically Leicester are almost as good as us.

So people who say Leicester are so inferior to us have a look. Our current teams would be half Leicester. The Invincibles would have had one.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
If someone had said before the season that we'd miss out on top 4 by a point and lose in the EL Final then I may have considered it a success for him. But to bottle our position with 6 matches remaining when he had the easiest run in by far and a pole position is unforgivable. To rest players needlessly and tinker as if we could overlook any of those opponents is unforgivable. To then compound that stupidity by playing a washed up keeper who is going to be employed by your opponent in a matter of weeks as if giving him a send off is secondary to the job you were hired to do is absolutely criminal.

Leno wouldn't have made a difference in the final. Every player 1 to 11 was crap.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Leno wouldn't have made a difference in the final. Every player 1 to 11 was crap.
Maybe he would and maybe he wouldn't have. That's not really the point. The point is that you can't be so arrogant or naive to play your well past his sell by date keeper, against a team that will be cutting his checks in a few weeks in favor of your number one in a final that you absolutely must win. It was about more than a trophy. It was about CL football which affects the entire trajectory of this club. And it's not even like it's an outfield player where you can excuse playing someone less talented because they serve a tactical purpose. On form and present ability Leno absolutely rinses Cech and it is indefensible to play Cech ahead of him in a game with so much at stake.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
With quality additions (and proper planning) lets go for the title.21 vote(s) 10.7%: crazy mofos

No excuses, top 4 is the minimum requirement. Throw in a cup as well.60 vote(s) 30.5%: y'all crazy too

I'm prepared to write off this season, provided we see some improvements. Lets prepare for 2019/20.28 vote(s) 14.2%: safe choice

We are too far behind the rest of the top six now, expect mediocrity, we need time to rebuild.4 vote(s) 2.0%: these 4 guys won the poll

Lets see how it plays out, I'll reserve my judgement for after 10 games.18 vote(s) 9.1%*: bloody fence sitters. Not Arsenal fans, probably

Winning the Arsenal way, above all else.7 vote(s) 3.6%: **** watch

I just want to see an improvement on recent seasons. 59 vote(s) 29.9%: sorry to disappoint you

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I'm not sure. He might have got down to Giroud's header, where Cech has been weak for ages. We were under the cosh and a back pass to Cech barely made the halfway line. It landed at a Chelsea player and we were under more pressure.We couldn't play out from the back vs slow Giroud. In the minds of the players, they were in front of a GK inferior to the one who had kept goal for most of the season. Theres little trust between our players. Too many can barely do their own job whilst also stressed out trying to cover for the inevitable mistakes of a team mate.

Top Bottom