• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

teamsoutheast

Under Emery, Arsenal plays dull football, without a sense of philosophy or attacking urgency. The team is incredibly tough to watch and follow, and delivered subpar results against clubs residing in the bottom half of the table

We finished 3rd highest scorers in the league though??? How can you claim the football is boring if we scored so many goals??????? He introduced a systemn of playing out from the back which resulted in the following:

I think some fans on this forum are being unreasonable.

We used to mock clubs for sacking managers willy nilly and now we want to do exactly the same thing. Really, after one season, what did you guys expect?

I think even most of his biggest critics have said that he should be given another year. Have I said he should be sacked, maybe in the heat of the moment yes, have I said I would throw a party if he were sacked today, yes! But I also said again and again that he should get next season.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
We used to mock clubs for sacking managers willy nilly and now we want to do exactly the same thing. Really, after one season, what did you guys expect?

I think I'm known as one of Emery's earliest and staunches critics, and of course I'd be happy to rather see him go than stay. But I'm pretty sure he'll get the next season and to some extent atm I really don't care if he goes or stays.

But what's always bothered me is still black and white in terms of firing/hiring managers. It's like you're either a club ejecting managers on the trot or you have to cling to them endlessly. That's just not the case.

Wenger (and Ferguson) were very peculiar cases who mostly stayed in their jobs for so long because they actually delivered targets or showed they were very probably able to do so. Having had such a case like Wenger at the club does not mean that now every manager should get ounces of time to try and create something.

It's really a thing of consistent evaluation and imo time is a secondary factor - regarding short terms as well as long terms. E.g. Liverpool would have been iditoc to fire Klopp if he hadn't won the CL, e.g. citing he had said that after four years he'd win them the league/a big trophy but didn't. If you look at the four years almost any factor indicates he'll go on to challenge in a 5th, 6th, 7th season which is a context that makes the argument "he's had 4 seasons but won nothing of note yet" a bit * when you're on a trajectory like they are.
Similarly you can't just outright rely on the argument of time and say 1 season is not enough, if you don't really see things clicking into gear. There's instances when 4 years aren't enough to judge, but 1 year is. It also goes vice versa. Time is secondary, the primary factors are on the pitch.

It's an extreme one but e.g. no one in their right mind would've said "Henry only needs more time at Monaco and another window" as it was an absolute ****show. It's really all about having a closer look. It's also not about sacking managers willy nilly, but you got to find the right fit first, before you can start keeping them longterm.

Last edited:

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
I think even most of his biggest critics have said that he should be given another year. Have I said he should be sacked, maybe in the heat of the moment yes, have I said I would throw a party if he were sacked today, yes! But I also said again and again that he should get next season.
I would throw a party now because we are getting rid of Özil.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
We finished 3rd highest scorers in the league though??? How can you claim the football is boring if we scored so many goals??????? He introduced a systemn of playing out from the back which resulted in the following:

I think some fans on this forum are being unreasonable.
Mate, it's pointless. It's lost on them. They'd rather use an example of a poor game we played, ignore all the ****ty games we played under Wenger, then decide Emery is useless.

teamsoutheast

Out of interest, are the fans who want Emery out supporters of 'Wenger In?' It seems that some fans are just getting back at people who were Wenger followers... I could be wrong.... I was vehemently Wenger in and thought the way he was hounded out was out of order but i'm not gonna sit here and be completely unreasonable with the new manager, which i'm sorry to say, alot of fans are!

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
I think I'm none as one of Emery's earliest and staunches critics, and of course I'd be happy to rather see him go than stay. But I'm pretty sure he'll get the next season and to some extent atm I really don't care if he goes or stays.

But what's always bothered me is still black and white in terms of firing/hiring managers. It's like you're either a club ejecting managers on the trot or you have to cling to them endlessly. That's just not the case.

Wenger (and Ferguson) were very peculiar cases who mostly stayed in their jobs for so long because they actually delivered targets or showed they were very probably able to do so. Having had such a case like Wenger at the club does not mean that now every manager should get ounces of time to try and create something.

It's really a thing of consistent evaluation and imo time is a secondary factor - regarding short terms as well as long terms. E.g. Liverpool would have been iditoc to fire Klopp if he hadn't won the CL, e.g. citing he had said that after four years he'd win them the league/a big trophy but didn't. If you look at the four years almost any factor indicates he'll go on to challenge in a 5th, 6th, 7th season which is a context that makes the argument "he's had 4 seasons but won nothing of note yet" a bit * when you're on a trajectory like they are.
Similarly you can't just outright rely on the argument of time and say 1 season is not enough, if you don't really see things clicking into gear. There's instances when 4 years aren't enough to judge, but 1 year is. It also goes vice versa. Time is secondary, the primary factors are on the pitch.

It's an extreme one but e.g. no one in their right mind would've said "Henry only needs more time at Monaco and another window" as it was an absolute ****show. It's really all about having a closer look. It's also not about sacking managers willy nilly, but you got to find the right fit first, before you can start keeping them longterm.
I'm not saying you have to cling to him endlessly. Emery's performance towards the end was pretty bad but after 22 years of Wenger, he needs a fair crack of the whip. If he has another summer where he can add a Guendozi, Torreira type signings then we'll definitely improve. I don't think more upheaval is what we need now. If he underperforms next season, then he goes, simple as. I'm going to sit tight and watch what we do.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
You're all over the place there, Hydro. You should come over here and watch the cricket world cup and we can smoke some puffin.

roz

Fake News Merchant
Out of interest, are the fans who want Emery out supporters of 'Wenger In?' It seems that some fans are just getting back at people who were Wenger followers... I could be wrong.... I was vehemently Wenger in and thought the way he was hounded out was out of order but i'm not gonna sit here and be completely unreasonable with the new manager, which i'm sorry to say, alot of fans are!
Agreed but you cant deny that he brought it on himself with that dreadful end of season form. Too right there should be questions asked of him.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I was pro Wenger but I knew he had to go or change. He's gone. What I'm seeing now is more hopeless than the Rioch "interregnum". I want a better coach or one that I can have faith in. Above all I want Arsenal to succeed but like Rioch, Emery is not the guy to do that.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
I'm not saying you have to cling to him endlessly. Emery's performance towards the end was pretty bad but after 22 years of Wenger, he needs a fair crack of the whip. If he has another summer where he can add a Guendozi, Torreira type signings then we'll definitely improve. I don't think more upheaval is what we need now. If he underperforms next season, then he goes, simple as. I'm going to sit tight and watch what we do.

Shame Torreira and Guendouzi were Mislintat signings and Sven is gone.

I personally don't see anything that seriously speaks for giving him another season, but 1) I'm personally beyond really caring atm 2) the club will not sack him anyway 3) hopefully the new Technical Director knows his stuff and can prevent Arsenal from becoming even more of a garbage dumbster 4) there's really no good candidate out there right now anyway who's either free or would be willing to come, I guess. The most interesting free manager currently is Mourinho...

The only thing everyone needs to be sure about though is that if Arsenal go into the next season with him, they also have to end it with him - provided the club doesn't fall from top 6. Firing/hiring during the season that's what I call willy nilly. Chances of getting a good manager during the season are basically zero, too. They're mostly under contract and working successfully, so why bother to leave that to salvage another club's bad season, or have set their eyes on bigger fish. E.g. Valverde's chair is pretty tottery and someone like Allegri will wait for that. Or the Bayern job. Or the United job. Would be absolutely shambolic if Emery was fired in say January only to be replaced by muppets like Moyes, Blanc or Lopetegui who'll then be the next block of concrete dragging the club down. Something like that would be alike to being a typical fire/hire club. If Arsenal is convinced to give him the next season, they should do so completely, if not, then don't.

Last edited:

teamsoutheast

I was pro Wenger but I knew he had to go or change. He's gone. What I'm seeing now is more hopeless than the Rioch "interregnum". I want a better coach or one that I can have faith in. Above all I want Arsenal to succeed but like Rioch, Emery is not the guy to do that.

But why do you feel he is more hopeless than Rioch? What evidence are you basing that on?

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
But why do you feel he is more hopeless than Rioch? What evidence are you basing that on?
I recall Rioch being out of his depth after the legend that was George Graham. He just couldn't get the team working although they were strong characters who ran themselves. He was just there and didn't command respect. He tried to hide from PHW who ultimately sacked him. It was not as bad as Brian Robson who was another who was never manager material. Emery strikes me as someone who does better in lesser clubs that can pack a surprise. The players haven't exactly had his back. Özil the timid has been awful and even Xhaka questioned whether he has improved us. There's no chemistry between him and the players and questions remain over his ability to manage big players, maybe unfairly. He seems too in his shell to help us kick on. To be clear, I meant the situation now seems more hopeless than the Rioch era. Then, we had a "muscular" board that loved the club and that offset Rioch's deficiencies to some extent. Now we have a non confrontational, bland collective.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Does anybody know what Emery's football philosophy is, or how he plays his teams, except for working hard ?

Full backs lead the attack. Lots of cutbacks. Play narrow and congest the middle. Play out from the back, even when it is not appropriate. Don't press aggressively high up the pitch, press when your opponent is closer to your half.

You may not like how Emery wants his team to play, but he certainly has a consistent football philosophy.

scytheavatar

Established Member
I recall Rioch being out of his depth after the legend that was George Graham. He just couldn't get the team working although they were strong characters who ran themselves. He was just there and didn't command respect. He tried to hide from PHW who ultimately sacked him. It was not as bad as Brian Robson who was another who was never manager material. Emery strikes me as someone who does better in lesser clubs that can pack a surprise. The players haven't exactly had his back. Özil the timid has been awful and even Xhaka questioned whether he has improved us. There's no chemistry between him and the players and questions remain over his ability to manage big players, maybe unfairly. He seems too in his shell to help us kick on. To be clear, I meant the situation now seems more hopeless than the Rioch era. Then, we had a "muscular" board that loved the club and that offset Rioch's deficiencies to some extent. Now we have a non confrontational, bland collective.

That's why we need new players, we need to replace guys like Özil and Xhaka. Do you seriously think we can hire Guardiola and he won't demand our board do a squad clearout?

teamsoutheast

I think the sacking of Rioch was more 'opportunist'. It was the perfect opportunity to get Wenger and I'm pretty sure Wenger was wanted before Rioch which I believe David Dein mentioned in some interviews. I personally didn't think Rioch did too badly at the time. Maybe some of these players have had it good for too long. Maybe they need that kick up the backside ie Özil, to get more out of them. It seems too many are comfortable and this leads to a mentality of complacency. Emery has a very good record at previous clubs and there is no evidence to suggest the players do not have his back.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Mate, it's pointless. It's lost on them. They'd rather use an example of a poor game we played, ignore all the ****ty games we played under Wenger, then decide Emery is useless.

You could literally use the same argument the other way.

The majority of the football we played was boring, it doesn’t mean we didn’t have some good game or great goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom