• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Joachim Andersen

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Why isn’t he in the Denmark squad at the moment? I hope we’re not seriously thinking about having the 7th choice Denmark CB as one of the starting CBs. Think I’d rather give Chambers the chance honestly.

Stannis

he is tall, that in of itself is a selling point for me.

Tired of having such pushover CBs of late

Anders Harbo

Angry Scandinavian #6
Why isn’t he in the Denmark squad at the moment? I hope we’re not seriously thinking about having the 7th choice Denmark CB as one of the starting CBs. Think I’d rather give Chambers the chance honestly.

He’s injured at the moment, and only recently earned his first international call-up. He probably would’ve started on the bench, because we have the most consevative coach in history of mankind.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I don't know but if you read that thing he's been compared to Mustafi so make of that what you will.

To be fair, that probably needs a bit more context. He was only compared to Mustafi in his tendency to push up to press the ball-carrier and leave space open behind him. But it also noted that he's young and this could be fixed. Hopefully he's a more tactically intelligent player than Mustafi and can catch on quickly if Arsenal buys him. If so, he would seem like a good fit. He just may not be a world beater from day one.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Mahith Gamage spent some time analyzing several Sampdoria games and gives his opinion on what Andersen and Praet would bring to the team. Here's part of what he says about Andersen:

Joachim Andersen truly belongs to a modern breed of centre-back that Arsenal quite clearly lacks in their squad.

While the likes of Sokratis, Mustafi, Holding, and Koscielny are all simply adequate on the ball, Andersen is a centre-back who thrives on the ball when playing out from the back. It is essentially the most impressive aspect of his game at just 23 years old. His ability to pull off a wide range of passes is a massive positive, as it often allows his team to skip an entire phase of buildup.

Andersen has those lovely long, diagonal passes in his locker, as well as brushed passes into midfield with either foot, allowing his more creative teammates to turn on the ball and drive forwards in an instant.

(He discusses other strengths and weaknesses, including Andersen being a bit mistake prone.)

In that article he doesn't mention once that Andersen seems slow and heavy legged. His vision and accuracy of the passes are good but he takes an age to to get his feet sorted. That is pretty apparent in the videos even in a very slow one paced league like Serie A.

The Mustafi stuff is definitely worrying because a lump this big bumbles around trying to be a front foot defender we'll get skinned alive every other game. That's something you can probably correct in training and with age but he isn't suddenly going to become more agile or mobile.

The part regarding Praet pretty much tells you he is at best a squad player at his finest.

I don't know. And of course, my assessment isn't perfect based on what I do know and youtube clips but if this does go through I hope I don't have say "I told you so".

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
In that article he doesn't mention once that Andersen seems slow and heavy legged. His vision and accuracy of the passes are good but he takes an age to to get his feet sorted. That is pretty apparent in the videos even in a very slow one paced league like Serie A.

The Mustafi stuff is definitely worrying because a lump this big bumbles around trying to be a front foot defender we'll get skinned alive every other game. That's something you can probably correct in training and with age but he isn't suddenly going to become more agile or mobile.

The part regarding Praet pretty much tells you he is at best a squad player at his finest.

I don't know. And of course, my assessment isn't perfect based on what I do know and youtube clips but if this does go through I hope I don't have say "I told you so".

Having never seen Andersen play (I had effectively no access to Serie A this season), I really wouldn't know (and I don't make judgements via YouTube videos). As for Praet, I've seen him in previous seasons and think the guy's assessment is pretty accurate. I suppose it depends on what you're looking for, but he brings a lot of qualities that Arsenal can use in the midfield. If you're expecting him to be the next Patrick Vieira, surely you'll be disappointed.

But not every player needs to be a galactico. Sometimes it's more important to have players who fit the system and who can raise the team as part of the collective. I think his mobility, his intelligence, his ability both on and off the ball, his ability to press, his ball-carrying abilities, as well as his willingness to support his fullback defensively, are qualities Arsenal can use. He still has room to grow as a player as well.

You can't expect a ready-made world class player at the price that's being quoted (a price that's for two players, not just one, in positions of need). Arsenal can't really afford that kind of player anyway, even if one is available. So they have to look for players who can fit the system and add something useful.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Having never seen Andersen play (I had effectively no access to Serie A this season), I really wouldn't know (and I don't make judgements via YouTube videos). As for Praet, I've seen him in previous seasons and think the guy's assessment is pretty accurate. I suppose it depends on what you're looking for, but he brings a lot of qualities that Arsenal can use in the midfield. If you're expecting him to be the next Patrick Vieira, surely you'll be disappointed.

But not every player needs to be a galactico. Sometimes it's more important to have players who fit the system and who can raise the team as part of the collective. I think his mobility, his intelligence, his ability both on and off the ball, his ability to press, his ball-carrying abilities, as well as his willingness to support his fullback defensively, are qualities Arsenal can use. He still has room to grow as a player as well.

You can't expect a ready-made world class player at the price that's being quoted (a price that's for two players, not just one, in positions of need). Arsenal can't really afford that kind of player anyway, even if one is available. So they have to look for players who can fit the system and add something useful.
I'm not disagreeing with you there but the qualities you mention he has I suspect may not translate into the PL for Arsenal is where my real concerns lie.

I'm not against signing players like that and I'm definitely not expecting the next Vieira but if we're going to commit hard cash like that I'd rather go for a much younger and higher potential player. Or at least if its a functional player we want with experience that fulfills those attributes you mention I'd rather go for a free transfer like Ander Herrara for example. He is of a similar kind but much better in every department. Or the Mexican Herrera if hasn't gone to Atleti.

Of course, I have been wrong before and won't be the final time but I do trust my assessment. That said, if this goes through, go Praet!

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
I'm not disagreeing with you there but the qualities you mention he has I suspect may not translate into the PL for Arsenal is where my real concerns lie.

I'm not against signing players like that and I'm definitely not expecting the next Vieira but if we're going to commit hard cash like that I'd rather go for a much younger and higher potential player. Or at least if its a functional player we want with experience that fulfills those attributes you mention I'd rather go for a free transfer like Ander Herrara for example. He is of a similar kind but much better in every department. Or the Mexican Herrera if hasn't gone to Atleti.

Of course, I have been wrong before and won't be the final time but I do trust my assessment. That said, if this goes through, go Praet!

Hopefully they know what they're doing! I know it's easy to expect Arsenal not to, but I'm giving the new guys the benefit of the doubt. Go whoever they end up signing!

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Hopefully they know what they're doing! I know it's easy to expect Arsenal not to, but I'm giving the new guys the benefit of the doubt. Go whoever they end up signing!
There's not much else we can do.

Another thing is also there could be an argument made looking at Liverpools success with functional 7/8 performers like Milner, Henderson and Wijnaldum. But hey were all well known highly rated individual players when they first emerged on the scene and had a boat load of experience by the time they got Liverpool. Praet while rated as a Belgian starlet didn't make any waves even at his peak or didn't draw much attention even in Italy. Henderson apart they cost next to nothing where Praet could be arriving for 20m+ which is a lot given our resources even if the market has changed drastically from back then.

Then again they were also perfect for Klopp's style of play so if Praet (and Andersen) are what Emery wants it may have a similar kind of impact. I'm very skeptical for sure but at the end of the day I can't affect it in any way so.....

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Another thing is also there could be an argument made looking at Liverpools success with functional 7/8 performers like Milner, Henderson and Wijnaldum. But hey were all well known highly rated individual players when they first emerged on the scene and had a boat load of experience by the time they got Liverpool. Praet while rated as a Belgian starlet didn't make any waves even at his peak or didn't draw much attention even in Italy. Henderson apart they cost next to nothing where Praet could be arriving for 20m+ which is a lot given our resources even if the market has changed drastically from back then.

Then again they were also perfect for Klopp's style of play so if Praet (and Andersen) are what Emery wants it may have a similar kind of impact. I'm very skeptical for sure but at the end of the day I can't affect it in any way so.....

I have no faith in what Emery is trying to do. His valuation of a player is just odd to me. Use Jeff as an example. He had a good loan spell. He looked at him in pre season and deemed him not good enough. He didn't look at AMN in midfield. All this rubbish anout him having a dossier about every player was nonsense. He blagged the interview. Hence why he had no idea how to use Ramsey.

When he was at PSG, with all the money available he bought Krychowiak...

Let that sink in. In January we could only make loan deals. We loaned Denis Suarez. He pushed for it which is why we spent the whole flipping window chasing him.

Now we are going to spend our entire budget on Praet and Anderson. They could be average or rubbish. They are not going to transform a squad.

There are so many midfielders out there. Take a chance on Sander Berge ffs. Buy Sangare. Get one of the South Americans we are linked to. Get Ceballos. Do anything.

I have no idea what we are doing at the moment. We have so much to do and we have only sold Ospina...

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐

Problem is if you keep on saying "not every player needs to be a galactico" you eventually find yourself with a squad of average players and, oh dear, you've become Everton. It's just not a great mentality to have. The mentality should be: who's the best player out there in this position, if we can't afford him, then which young player could go on to be the best in that position.

You need to at least strive for the best sure.

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
As far as I read, he's quite highly rated though, isn't he?

From what I've read I like his passing range, which I think is one of the key ingredients the new 'starting XI' CB (I hope we also buy a talented more physical CB in the mold of Konate, Upamecano, Saliba, Kazak). Good age also.

What I like less is that he's supposedly not that dominant in the air despite his height and he can still be quite rash. He also does not look agile.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Problem is if you keep on saying "not every player needs to be a galactico" you eventually find yourself with a squad of average players and, oh dear, you've become Everton. It's just not a great mentality to have. The mentality should be: who's the best player out there in this position, if we can't afford him, then which young player could go on to be the best in that position.

You need to at least strive for the best sure.

Define "best." Do you mean best player or best fit for the team? The two are not necessarily the same. That's fantasy football. Sometimes players who may not seem as "sexy" bring needed qualities and help provide balance to the squad.

Liverpool has some players who look pretty good right now, but how many were actually considered the "best player at their position" when Liverpool bought them? Arguably Van Dijk and Alisson to complete the puzzle, but none of their midfielders were rated that highly until they bought Fabinho. They were mocked for buying Wijnaldum and Henderson -- and especially for signing Milner. Mane was bought from a mid table club and wasn't considered a sure thing to be a success. Salah was coming off a very good season at Roma, but had been a bust at Chelsea and hadn't even been a prodigious goalscorer at Basel before his move to Chelsea. And what about Andy Robertson, who is the best but who didn't exactly shake the Richter Scale with his £9 million move from Hull? I'm pretty sure that Arsenal fans would have been howling about a lack of ambition had the Gunners been the ones to buy him.

Let the scouts do their jobs. Arsenal can't spend money like City. They need to be smart like Liverpool. That means finding players who may not be household names and allow you to brag to your mates about the transfer window, but who can play a role in making the team a success on the pitch.

Last edited:

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀

"Henderson apart they cost next to nothing".

Winjaldum cost almost 10m more than Henderson where are you getting your information from?

Malky

Established Member
I have no faith in what Emery is trying to do. His valuation of a player is just odd to me. Use Jeff as an example. He had a good loan spell. He looked at him in pre season and deemed him not good enough. He didn't look at AMN in midfield. All this rubbish anout him having a dossier about every player was nonsense. He blagged the interview. Hence why he had no idea how to use Ramsey.

Let that sink in. In January we could only make loan deals. We loaned Denis Suarez. He pushed for it which is why we spent the whole flipping window chasing him.

Now we are going to spend our entire budget on Praet and Anderson. They could be average or rubbish. They are not going to transform a squad.

There are so many midfielders out there. Take a chance on Sander Berge ffs. Buy Sangare. Get one of the South Americans we are linked to. Get Ceballos. Do anything.

I have no idea what we are doing at the moment. We have so much to do and we have only sold Ospina...
Wasn't one of the problems with Sven down to Emery pushing so hard for Suarez and Sven being against it? Or was that all made up? Either way, it was an odd decision, Leicester had a better transfer plan than us - they identified what they needed and went out and brought in Tielemans on loan, a player who, in my opinion, was their standout player in the 2nd half of the season (alongside Maddison) we should of had Tielemans with an option to buy knowing that Ramsey was on his way out.
That said, this lad (Andersen) doesn't seem anything special - good passer and comfortable with the ball at his feet, but he's a defender and he looks suspect at actual defending. We've went from being linked to Konate to some absolute dross defenders, Saliba is the only one I'd want here, he's the only one who has massive potential.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀

Krychowiak was one of the best defensive midfielders around that time helping guide Sevilla to Europa league glory and was actually a player many Arsenal fans thought would be ideal for us. It didn't work out but many things in football do.

Ganduzi

Krychowiak was one of the best defensive midfielders around that time helping guide Sevilla to Europa league glory and was actually a player many Arsenal fans thought would be ideal for us. It didn't work out but many things in football do.

"On 14 October while on loan at West Bromwich Albion, Krychowiak said to the media that he felt deceived by Paris Saint-Germain manager Unai Emery saying "I spoke with the coach but every time when I spoke with him I felt deception". He went on to say "Yes, exactly. So for me I didn’t understand why. The coach knows me very well. We spent two years together and before I signed the contract he told me to come to PSG, and I didn’t play." This was in response as to his frustration of being left out of the team and not getting game time."

Doesn't reflect quite well on emery. Also we seem to have seen the exact same situation with Denis suarez albeit it only been a 4 month loan.

Arsenal Quotes

I cannot classify the moments of happiness and of sadness, but every defeat is a scar in your heart that you never forget.

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom