• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Bernd Leno: Talk of the Show

TornadoTed

Established Member
I'd even add Sokratis to that. Has been nothing but rock solid. Him, Leno, Torreira and Guendouzi has been some great business. 4 hits.

A central defender, left back, central midfielder and winger this summer the calibre of those 4 and we would close the gap massively on Liverpool and City.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
I'd even add Sokratis to that. Has been nothing but rock solid. Him, Leno, Torreira and Guendouzi has been some great business. 4 hits.
I actually wasn't sure about Leno to begin with. Sokratis as well. I remember my Bayern supporting mate raving about Leno when he first emerged but then Neuer happened and then came Ter Stegen. Leno didn't make great strides as was predicted before and I thought Neverkusen was probably his level despite suspicions it was why he wasn't progressing. And the fact that you rarely heard top teams, foreign or German, going after him.

Pleasantly surprised how he has turned out here. I'm not sure he is world class or if he will be but he has been a very positive signing and I've warmed up to his personality.

Though I believe we need to keep pushing him with another decent GK in the ranks.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Pleasantly surprised how he has turned out here. I'm not sure he is world class or if he will be but he has been a very positive signing and I've warmed up to his personality.
Honestly, I think he was one of the best keepers in Europe this year, but I prefer him being out of the headlines. I don't want to see problems that Man United have with De Gea, every week new rumour. It messes up with his mental stability which is the most important thing for every goalkeeper.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Pleasantly surprised by his contribution this season. Especially after Lehman’s damning suggestions that he might not be ready for Arsenal when he first arrived.

Was quite gutted he didn’t get the nod in the final actually, wouldn’t have changed much but still.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Leno is good. Shot stopping generally top notch but let's not get above our stations. He is still suspect coming for crosses and can sometimes come when he should stay.

I would say that will come with experience but he is 26. A year in the league will stand him well and should build for next year.

He still wouldn't be in the top 5 goalkeepers in the league not to mention Europe which someone said.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
He is still suspect coming for crosses and can sometimes come when he should stay.
Fans blamed him a few times when he went for a cross but couldn't get it, resulting it with a goal. If you pay close attention to those situations, you would see that he wasn't to blame for those. He had to chose if he goes for a difficult cross or he lets CF having a free header. I think 2-3 times he missed the cross and we conceded the goal, but we would concede it anyway because it was a free header from 6 yards.

He did better than expected, and it's hard to play with those clowns in front of you. Some situations between him and Mustafi were comical.

He only makes me uncomfortable when he is passing the ball. We know that our defenders and Xhaka are scared to death of receiving the ball, but Leno still plays that way.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Fans blamed him a few times when he went for a cross but couldn't get it, resulting it with a goal. If you pay close attention to those situations, you would see that he wasn't to blame for those. He had to chose if he goes for a difficult cross or he lets CF having a free header. I think 2-3 times he missed the cross and we conceded the goal, but we would concede it anyway because it was a free header from 6 yards.

He did better than expected, and it's hard to play with those clowns in front of you. Some situations between him and Mustafi were comical.

He only makes me uncomfortable when he is passing the ball. We know that our defenders and Xhaka are scared to death of receiving the ball, but Leno still plays that way.

He's a decent keeper and I like him but one of the previous posts said he's one of the best gk in Europe, however he made a string of errors leading to goals.

Knowing when to come and when to stay is a skill. If a player/forward is under any sort of pressure from a defender keeper can still save it on his line. It won't be easy but if you come for a difficult ball and you don't get it it's a mistake.

He is the least of our problems and the whole defence needs worked on. A proper centre half and left back should help things.

ptrcopp

Leno is good. Shot stopping generally top notch but let's not get above our stations. He is still suspect coming for crosses and can sometimes come when he should stay.

I would say that will come with experience but he is 26. A year in the league will stand him well and should build for next year.

He still wouldn't be in the top 5 goalkeepers in the league not to mention Europe which someone said.

Who would you put above him other than Allison, de Gea, Ederson?

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
He's a decent keeper and I like him but one of the previous posts said he's one of the best gk in Europe, however he made a string of errors leading to goals.

Knowing when to come and when to stay is a skill. If a player/forward is under any sort of pressure from a defender keeper can still save it on his line. It won't be easy but if you come for a difficult ball and you don't get it it's a mistake.

He is the least of our problems and the whole defence needs worked on. A proper centre half and left back should help things.
Knowing when to come when you have guys like Mustafi in front of you is an impossible task. I've been through every match day thread this season and I've seen that he was attacked by fans for goals that I've already explained. For me, it's not his fault, he was even attacked at the start of the season when conceding goals in his top left corner.

I'm not concerned with best keeper label, he's not the best but he is much more than decent. He saved us many points in very difficult situations, which will be easily forgotten because we didn't win anything, but I will keep that in my mind when discussing about his quality.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Who would you put above him other than Allison, de Gea, Ederson?

Lloris would be another. Kepa from what I seen this year is probably on par with Leno.

I also think Neil Etheridge of Cardiff displayed more than Leno this year. Now I'm not saying he's better than Leno but in my opinion he performed better than him.

I'm a supporter of Leno I like him and I'm happy. But some fans are deluded if they think he's one of the best in Europe.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I'm a supporter of Leno I like him and I'm happy. But some fans are deluded if they think he's one of the best in Europe.
He was one of the best this year, that doesn't mean he is one of the best. De Gea is one of the best but he had some shocking moments this season. Hope you understand the difference.

Both Allision and Ederson play behind good defenders unlike Leno.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
He was one of the best this year, that doesn't mean he is one of the best. De Gea is one of the best but he had some shocking moments this season. Hope you understand the difference.

Both Allision and Ederson play behind good defenders unlike Leno.

Show me some stats that show Leno was one of the best this year.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Show me some stats that show Leno was one of the best this year.
I can show you some stats that will tell you Özil is the best playmaker in the world, but it's enough to watch 3 games in a row to realise that's a ridiculous statement.

I've seen many times this season Leno making top quality saves, probably more than others on that top GK list. More important, he was making top saves in crucial moments of the game when nobody expected he would make a save.
Honestly can't remember when was the last time we've had someone like him on goal. (it surely wasn't idiot Lemon)

Stats usually don't have any context, that's why I find them flawed and don't look at them very often.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I can show you some stats that will tell you Özil is the best playmaker in the world, but it's enough to watch 3 games in a row to realise that's a ridiculous statement.

I've seen many times this season Leno making top quality saves, probably more than others on that top GK list. More important, he was making top saves in crucial moments of the game when nobody expected he would make a save.
Honestly can't remember when was the last time we've had someone like him on goal. (it surely wasn't idiot Lemon)

Stats usually don't have any context, that's why I find them flawed and don't look at them very often.

While I agree stats don't always paint a perfect picture they do pinpoint things that happened and skills particular players have.

Stats would tell you Messi and Ronaldo are prolific.

Stats would tell you Bernardo Silva had a great season.

One stat that is glaringly obvious is that Leno made 5 errors which lead to goals this season in the premier league. And while some keepers inferior to Leno made less, 5 is far too many for a top goalkeeper to be making.

If he can build on that next season that would be great. Again his defence needs to help him out. But I repeat he is not one of the best keepers in Europe nor was he one of the best in Europe last year.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom