• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Squad Analysis 2019/20

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
I want us to work towards a 4-3-3 formation, with ball-playing CB’s, actual wingers and a midfield-three as described in the Praet topic (‘creative’ 8, ‘all-action’ 8, ‘anchor’ 6).

These players will definitely not be part of the squad next season:
Cech, Lichtsteiner, Jenkinson, Welbeck, Ramsey (free)

Based on what I’m reading we’ll try to acquire a LB, CB, CM, LW, as well as Claude-Maurice and Martinelli. That leaves us with the following squad (categorized in best position):

LW: Buy, Iwobi, Saka
ST: Aubameyang, Lacazette, Nketiah, Martinelli
RW: Mkhitaryan, Nelson, Amaechi

B2B: Buy, Willock, Guendouzi, Maitland-Niles
CDM: Torreira, Chambers, Elneny, Bielik
Creative CM: Özil, Claude-Maurice, Xhaka, Smith-Rowe

LB: Buy, Kolasinac, Monreal
CB: Buy, Sokratis, Koscielny, Mustafi, Holding, Mavropanos
RB: Bellerin, Osei-Tutu

GK: Leno, Martinez, Ospina

In terms of quantity our squad is really quite large. At the same time, in terms of quality we’re really lacking a B2B, CDM and RB. It appears only one of these (B2B) will be addressed this summer.

GK: Sell Ospina, keep Martinez as back up. We're fine here.

In defense that means we either have to keep Osei-Tutu or abuse Maitland-Niles another season as makeshift RB. There are quite some free agents on the market again this summer (Abate, Alves, Juanfran), only one of whom I’d consider. Our CB’s lack skill on the ball, I only consider Koscielny and Holding adequate in that regard, so that should be one of the qualities of the CB that is brought in. I’d also like this CB to be fast/physical for my desired high defensive line (Upamecano or Konate seem to fit the bill, Hermoso to a lesser extent). Obviously, Mustafi has to go. If we only bring in one CB, I’d keep Mavropanos around, otherwise loan. In LB, Monreal is past it and Kolasinac does not fit the desired formation. The latter represents value, so he should be sold. Can buy a prospect to compete with our new LB next season, when Monreal leaves on a free.

In midfield, we have the numbers, but not the desired profiles or quality. Xhaka does not really fit in any of the categories due to his lack of mobility and defensive skills. His passing is his main attribute so I classified him as a creative CM. I doubt he’ll be sold, although I wish he will be. In CDM we really only have one viable option. I would seriously consider keeping Bielik around purely because of the lack of cover for this position. Or Maitland-Niles could be tried there, but I feel his weaknesses make him ill-suited for that position (concentration, tidiness). Chambers and Elneny should be sold to fund the B2B midfielder to be brought in. This should be an all-action midfielder who can contribute on both sides of the pitch (my hope is on Tielemans or Barella, possibly Partey who would solve our RB conundrum in the short-term until Bellerin is match fit). I think it’s best for all parties if Özil finds a new club. However, I doubt it will happen. He does not really fit in a midfield three, so I would move him to RW and hope Claude-Maurice steps up. Otherwise, I think we’re stuck with Xhaka in there. We could consider keeping Smith-Rowe around to compete with ACM for that position, but I fear he won’t get enough game time and should therefore be loaned. Have high hopes for him in the long-term.

On the wings, we have numbers, but lack quality again. I think LW should be our marque signing, think big (bigger than Carrasco, who I’m not keen on, or Fraser). I would like to see Iwobi sold, as he has not developed as I had hoped despite the numerous chances, but I have not seen any indication he’ll leave. Mkhitaryan is also too inconsistent and I expect we should be able to find a buyer. Nelson must step up as the other winger. One of Saka/Amaechi can be the fourth winger, the other should be loaned to a good side.

For the strikers we have two quality options and a quality 3rd striker. I’m afraid Nketiah won’t get enough game time (again), so I would loan him to a decent side and use Martinelli and academy prospects as back-up.

Conclusion
I think we’d be in a decent position if we get top quality on those 4 positions we’re rumoured to be looking for additions (think Tierney, Upamecano, Tielemans, Soares). I’d still like to see additional outgoings (most notably Xhaka, Özil, Iwobi) and incomings, though. We’re very short in RB and could use an additional quality CM. I would also think adding Ziyech as wide playmaker is a no-brainer for the quality and the tactical flexibility he’d provide (as a playmaker behind two strikers). Adding three more signings (potentially another CB as well) in addition to the 6 that are supposedly planned is rather unrealistic though (wish list stuff, as I have repeatedly done). If possible I really think we should push for another RB though, especially with the Osei-Tutu links.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
First-team squad 2019/20:

Goalkeeper
Leno
Martinez
Macey

Defenders
Luiz
Tierney
Bellerin
Mustafi
Sokratis
Mavropanos
Holding
Kolasinac
Maitland-Niles
Chambers

Midfielders
Torreira
Ceballos
Guendouzi
Xhaka
Özil
Mkhitaryan
Nelson
Smith-Rowe
Willock

Forwards
Aubameyang
Lacazette
Pepe
Martinelli​

Last edited:

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
If we take out Leno, forwards and players younger than 24, there is not much quality left. The rest of senior players would struggle to get a squad role in any of the top teams in Europe.
We need to lower our expectations for the next season. Making top 6 and getting into semis of EL would be a success.
If any serious injury to Laca, Leno or Auba happens, we will struggle to achieve that.
Massive clear our was needed but so far the only players who left are the ones that improve our squad.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
still about 3 weeks to the pre-season to begin there will be few sales i hope and maybe the addition of Martenilli and Carrasco.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Honestly though, a really really poor squad. It's weird, I used to think we weren't far off challenging but the balance of the squad is very poor and we do need some serious improvement.

I am very excited for our young players though. Willock, Guendouzi, Eddie, Nelson, Smith-Rowe, AMN, Jenkinson and possibly Bielik may all play a pretty important role next season, then you add the likes of Saka and Amaechi and the talent is fantastic. You hope with Freddie getting a role in the first team we'll see more of them and we'll really know who will make it and who won't.

I know many disagree but I'd love to see Eddie on loan in the Championship don't think his opportunity here will be that good, but I guess we will see.

Other than that though, plenty of players can leave for all I care, it's important that we move them on as well, seriously can't keep them around longer.

Harz

To put the mediocrity of the squad into perspective, here's a good XI outside top 6:

Pickford
Wan-Bissaka Maguire Ake Chilwell
Neves Ndidi Doucouré
Zaha Wilson Richarlison

Only players in our team that can challenge for spots in this XI are Leno, Bellerin if he stays healthy, Torreira, Aubameyang and Lacazette.

Considering the stature of our club, our squad is abysmal. I actually think that we need an almost complete rebuild.

say yes

forum master baiter
First-team squad going into pre-season...

Goalkeeper
Leno
Martinez
Ospina (possible move to Napoli)

Defenders
Bellerin
Mustafi
Koscielny
Sokratis
Mavropanos
Holding
Monreal
Kolasinac
Maitland-Niles
Jenkinson
Chambers

Midfielders
Torreira
Guendouzi
Xhaka
Elneny
Özil
Mkhitaryan
Iwobi
Nelson
Smith-Rowe
Bielik
Willock

Forwards
Aubameyang
Lacazette
Nketiah​
giphy.gif

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Don't care if we have to give them away but would really love Miki, Özil, Mustafi gone. Don't mind if Koscielny goes as well. Elneny doesn't offer anything so him too.

I honestly don't care if Smith-Rowe, Nelson, Saku, Wilock, Mavrapanos etc perform worse at the start. If they get minutes now, development and experience at least 2 of them will become a decent premier league player. They may not become a future Arsenal star but at least his way we are seen to offer young players the platform to develop which may help us later down the line to attract the best young players in other leagues.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
To put the mediocrity of the squad into perspective, here's a good XI outside top 6:

Pickford
Wan-Bissaka Maguire Ake Chilwell
Neves Ndidi Doucouré
Zaha Wilson Richarlison

Only players in our team that can challenge for spots in this XI are Leno, Bellerin if he stays healthy, Torreira, Aubameyang and Lacazette.

Considering the stature of our club, our squad is abysmal. I actually think that we need an almost complete rebuild.

You look at those players & most tick atleast two maybe three of the pace, power & mobility boxes. I would like us to focus of those factors when it comes to new signings.

Our style has really gone & left us with a squad that cant compete with the physical aspects... a bad mix.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I honestly don't care if Smith-Rowe, Nelson, Saku, Wilock, Mavrapanos etc perform worse at the start. If they get minutes now, development and experience at least 2 of them will become a decent premier league player.
I think they are all capable to be at least where Holding and Bellerin are now, which isn't bad at all. That would be an improvement over all senior players they would replace. With good guidance and different manager they could be better than that, but that's another topic.

I don't want to turn this thread into another wish list thread, but adding one or two top quality players to this side and integrating some of the mentioned youngsters could completely change the picture.
My worry is that the club and the fans are more focused on spreading the budget on multiple targets, which will results in lower quality but higher number of signings, probably on contracts that we won't bet able to get rid of later.

I would be more than happy to spend the whole budget on quality LB and CB. Everything else can be fixed with internal resources, at least for the new season.

Bielik should replace Xhaka so we can finally have some solid defensive formation, Willock and ESR should replace Özil and Ramsey, and the only burning problem would be RW, willing to test Nelson there instead of Mkhi.
The obvious drop in quality would be Willock for Ramsey, everything else is acceptable.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
I think they are all capable to be at least where Holding and Bellerin are now, which isn't bad at all. That would be an improvement over all senior players they would replace. With good guidance and different manager they could be better than that, but that's another topic.

I don't want to turn this thread into another wish list thread, but adding one or two top quality players to this side and integrating some of the mentioned youngsters could completely change the picture.
My worry is that the club and the fans are more focused on spreading the budget on multiple targets, which will results in lower quality but higher number of signings, probably on contracts that we won't bet able to get rid of later.

I would be more than happy to spend the whole budget on quality LB and CB. Everything else can be fixed with internal resources, at least for the new season.

Bielik should replace Xhaka so we can finally have some solid defensive formation, Willock and ESR should replace Özil and Ramsey, and the only burning problem would be RW, willing to test Nelson there instead of Mkhi.
The obvious drop in quality would be Willock for Ramsey, everything else is acceptable.

Have to agree with most of that. If we could, which I know is probably impossible but if we could get for example a Maguire and Chillwell for say 100m i woukd rather that and fix the front with youth. But we will see what happens.

The White Pelè

Human Highlight Reel
Our team look so depressing bar Leno, Torreira, Auba, Laca and maybe Sokratis. We would need to buy in every position just to strengthen the team. I know it is basically impossible so i'd be just happy with getting rid of the deadwoods atm.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Doubt you’d find a more depressing Arsenal squad in the last 20 years.

Decent GK options but nothing special, the entire defence looks poor, one paced nothingness in midfield and the only goal threat comes from our two strikers.

2012/13 comes close, remember after the opener vs Sunderland thinking we were totally f*cked, how they managed top four that year above Bale and Suarez was a minor miracle.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

2012/13 comes close, remember after the opener vs Sunderland thinking we were totally f*cked, how they managed top four that year above Bale and Suarez was a minor miracle.
Nah we still had the likes of Wilshere and Ramsey to enjoy watching, two of the best young players in England.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Nah we still had the likes of Wilshere and Ramsey to enjoy watching, two of the best young players in England.

Yeah it turned out alright but that pre-season was bleak. We’d lost RVP and Wilshere hadn’t played at all the year before and Ramsey was getting booed by our fans.

We even managed to sh*thouse some results playing Gervinho as a striker, dark times.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Elite players:

Özil*, Aubameyang, Koscielny*

Players we need to keep as they have clear quality:

Bellerin, Torreria, Lacazette

Good premier league level-players:

Leno, Sokratis, Holding, Monreal, Xhaka, Iwobi, Ghendouzi, Mkhi

Exciting youngsters:

Tutu, Willock, Smith-Rowe, Nelson, Nketiah

That's 19 players worth keeping and I would definitely sell Özil and Mkhi (unless he stays as a number 10).

*denotes used to be elite and are no longer. Should sell.

If you haven't made the list - you can leave.

Top Bottom