• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
Lots of rumours about Chelsky after Lampard. There’s a lot to be said for former players as manager. The fans really get behind them and there’s that family feel.

Of course those of us that suggested that longshot iPad Arteta might be worth a punt least year got shat on good and proper by the AM moderators. It was a blood bath.:lol:
it seems odd to me though that Arteta does not seem to be looking for a managerial job anywhere else - I wonder if he has been led to believe he will be appointed here if (or is that when?) Emery fails

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
The Arsenal job’s a pit of a poisoned chalice. Average squad to be stuck with and little to spend.

I can think of a million worse jobs TBH.

Gravedigger, Crime Scene Cleaner & Peep Show Booth Attendant come immediately to mind....

GDeep™

League is very weak
it seems odd to me though that Arteta does not seem to be looking for a managerial job anywhere else - I wonder if he has been led to believe he will be appointed here if (or is that when?) Emery fails
Why move when you’re with Pep competing for everything?

He would’ve come here because most guys can’t refuse Arsenal.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
More likely the Milan job. Without Ivan cant see how he gets in here.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
The Arsenal job’s a pit of a poisoned chalice. Average squad to be stuck with and little to spend.

If we're a poisoned chalice then what would you call the Madrid, Barcelona or Chelsea jobs?

Those clubs sack their managers every other week but here you could be in the relegation zone and fans will come out to defend you.

This job is one of the cushiest in world football. An owner with no ambition and an extremely patient fanbase.

95% of managers in world football would love to come here. A nice, relaxed, no pressure environment where you can leave with your reputation still intact regardless of what happens because every single other factor will be blamed before you are. From the lax management to the owner to the players themselves.

Mourinho would be here quick as spit if Raul rang him up, no doubt in my mind about that.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
But the target is only top 4.
The target is to show improvement and try and finish as high as we can as a result. With some consistent, quality performers, anything is possible.
If we're a poisoned chalice then what would you call the Madrid, Barcelona or Chelsea jobs?

Those clubs sack their managers every other week but here you could be in the relegation zone and fans will come out to defend you.

This job is one of the cushiest in world football. An owner with no ambition and an extremely patient fanbase.

95% of managers in world football would love to come here. A nice, relaxed, no pressure environment where you can leave with your reputation still intact regardless of what happens because every single other factor will be blamed before you are. From the lax management to the owner to the players themselves.

Mourinho would be here quick as spit if Raul rang him up, no doubt in my mind about that.
Not so sure about that. Even this owner, apparently, has limits...

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
The target is to show improvement and try and finish as high as we can as a result. With some consistent, quality performers, anything is possible.

I see the goal post is shifting for the faithful. The target is and has always been top four, just like with the last manger.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I see the goal post is shifting for the faithful. The target is and has always been top four, just like with the last manger.
Not sure which faithful you're talking about... The target is to finish as high as you can. If we finish 4th and could have easily finished higher but for some horrendous management, that may not be enough for me, personally.

There, you see? Goalposts shifting where?

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Allegri available

Emery has destroyed us enough already with his disgustingly boring football.

Allegri would make us all quit football, although he might add some stability.

Need a coach that wants to play offensive football. That should be the most important factor.

Last edited:

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
Not sure which faithful you're talking about... The target is to finish as high as you can. If we finish 4th and could have easily finished higher but for some horrendous management, that may not be enough for me, personally.

There, you see? Goalposts shifting where?
I think there is only one reason you would say something as vague as 'just show improvement'. If I misunderstood you then fair enough.

But if we do better than top four then that would be considered exceeding expectations. If Emery had gotten top four this season no one would have gave a **** about us collapsing at the end of the season and almost all of us would be singing his praise now.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I think there is only one reason you would say something as vague as 'just show improvement'. If I misunderstood you then fair enough.

But if we do better than top four then that would be considered exceeding expectations. If Emery had gotten top four this season no one would have gave a **** about us collapsing at the end of the season and almost all of us would be singing his praise now.
You can never ignore context. Look at us when we finished runners up to Leicester? Disaster of a season. That we lost games at the end of last season that cost us top 4, hasn't changed what I thought of the entire campaign. It's gutting, but it doesn't diminish the positives I saw.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger

I'll put it another way

At some clubs, managers get the sack for not playing entertaining football despite winning the league (Capello), winning the league but failing to deliver the Champions League (any Barcelona manager in recent years), winning the Champions League the previous season but having a dip in the current season (Ancelotti), winning the FA cup but not winning the league(LVG) and whatever nonsense Abramovich feels like sacking a Chelsea manager for these days.

Whereas here not only do you have to fail to make the bare minimum, you have to fail spectacularly and any success will buy you years of goodwill and time.

Imagine if we had won the Europa League. A video could have leaked the next day of Emery wearing a Sp**s shirt singing a rousing chorus of When the S**rs go marching in and Stan would still have given him a 5 year contract with a remit to do as he pleases.

In other words, failure to reach the ceiling gets you the sack at other clubs, here the floor underneath you has to crumble causing you to tumble to the basement before you're considered for the sack.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I'll put it another way

At some clubs, managers get the sack for not playing entertaining football despite winning the league (Capello), winning the league but failing to deliver the Champions League (any Barcelona manager in recent years), winning the Champions League the previous season but having a dip in the current season (Ancelotti), winning the FA cup but not winning the league(LVG) and whatever nonsense Abramovich feels like sacking a Chelsea manager for these days.

Whereas here not only do you have to fail to make the bare minimum, you have to fail spectacularly and any success will buy you years of goodwill and time.

Imagine if we had won the Europa League. A video could have leaked the next day of Emery wearing a Sp**s shirt singing a rousing chorus of When the S**rs go marching in and Stan would still have given him a 5 year contract with a remit to do as he pleases.

In other words, failure to reach the ceiling gets you the sack at other clubs, here the floor underneath you has to crumble causing you to tumble to the basement before you're considered for the sack.
Oh ok, I understand, but what time period in the clubs history, in particular, makes you have that opinion?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom