• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Don't believe the Trax lad.

He's actually saying that Özil, with all his Turkish family, mates and wife, is somehow completely unaware of all the fvckery Erdogan has done, and continues to do. How would that be possible?

:rofl:
I am not saying he is unaware, but like Trump supporters with their Great Leader, he might not give much of a toss.

As far as I have understood it many of Turkish descent living in Germany actually support Erdogan. So living in a Western democracy they are happy to support someone who oppresses their countrymen/women in their native country. Odd to say the least, but think most people don't think things through and don't reflect on the damage their actions and votes do.

Arsenal in Aus

So assuming no-one else will take Özil (due to wages/mentality/whatever), and given he's somewhat a passenger or a liability at CAM, and given Emery would prefer to go back to a 4-3-3 (or 4-2-3-1), and given we currently have no real wingers, and given Özil played on the wing previously (eg Germany's victorious world cup campaign), is the least bad option to play him on the wing?

I've never liked the idea, but maybe there are no better solutions to the Özil conundrum.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I don't agree that this would have necessarily been the case. Think you underestimate Gündoğan's standing somewhat plus overestimate Özil's at the time of the 2014 WC. This is not saying that they were / are of equal stature, but Gündoğan was and is quite a well established and well thought of national team player although he has been hampered by injuries.

Think much of the grief Özil got was of his own making and how he dealt with the press, his team mates etc. In my view he seems to be remarkably thin skinned and without much insight how he comes across both on and off the pitch.
so if anyone dares to go against the popular opinion and stands up for himself, he is an asshat.

Agree with your sentiments, but this is just a guy standing up for himself, and getting dragged over coals by the whole media.

can't say this is the first time seeing this.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

so if anyone dares to go against the popular opinion and stands up for himself, he is an asshat.
Doubt I wrote that or something in that direction. That he ends up being criticised for cozying up to an autocrat who is attacking the country you are representing as a national team player isn't far fetched in my view. It isn't about standing up against "popular" opinion. That makes it sound like we are discussing matters of taste. Erdogan is an anti-democratic autocrat who has decided to vent against Germany. As a German national player I would expect you would understand that being friendly with him might cause some raised eyebrows...

Alkane

So assuming no-one else will take Özil (due to wages/mentality/whatever), and given he's somewhat a passenger or a liability at CAM, and given Emery would prefer to go back to a 4-3-3 (or 4-2-3-1), and given we currently have no real wingers, and given Özil played on the wing previously (eg Germany's victorious world cup campaign), is the least bad option to play him on the wing?

I've never liked the idea, but maybe there are no better solutions to the Özil conundrum.

Our main issue in attack is lack of natural winger, sticking a slow weak midfielder there who will not track back sufficiently when our fullbacks overlap reegularly sounds like hell.

A front 3 of Auba- laca - Özil also seems way too shoehorned. The former two with a proper winger can just about work.

I would just get Özil out at all costs. The guy has absolutely no desire anymore, I’d happily replace him with someone with “less” natural quality if they actually want to win. The guys completely content picking up his 350k, his pr management nailing his stupid social media posts to give the perception that he gives two ****s about the club when he clearly doesn’t. Shifting him would be signing of the summer

Arsenal in Aus

So that post did say "assuming no-one else will take Özil". If we assume that, is it better to play him on the wing or to bench him altogether?

Tomb Bombadil

I would just get Özil out at all costs. The guy has absolutely no desire anymore, I’d happily replace him with someone with “less” natural quality if they actually want to win. The guys completely content picking up his 350k, his pr management nailing his stupid social media posts to give the perception that he gives two ****s about the club when he clearly doesn’t. Shifting him would be signing of the summer
You would give him away for free and subsidy a part of his salary? So we would pay that we get him out of the club? Then I would still keep him, because he's still a brilliant footballer and can be very helpful.

But of course he's not doing enough to justify his salary. So if someone is giving us 10-20m we should sell him. But there are almost no possibilites.

- China (Don't think Özil wants to go there)
- Turkey (Don't think they have the money)
- Inter, Milan, PSG, Marseille (Don't think they want him)

Edit: And at least the salary cap shouldn't be a problem this year with Ramsey, Cech, Welbeck and Lichtsteiner already gone and more to come.

Last edited:

Alkane

You would give him away for free and subsidy a part of his salary? So we would pay that we get him out of the club? Then I would still keep him, because he's still a brilliant footballer and can be very helpful.

But of course he's not doing enough to justify his salary. So if someone is giving us 10-20m we should sell him. But there are almost no possibilites.

- China (Don't think Özil wants to go there)
- Turkey (Don't think they have the money)
- Inter, Milan, PSG, Marseille (Don't think they want him)

Edit: And at least the salary cap shouldn't be a problem this year with Ramsey, Cech, Welbeck and Lichtsteiner already gone and more to come.
I would let him leave for free. The contract is a sunk cost now, he’s getting 350k a week for the remainder of his contract: £18.2m a year.

Letting him leave AND subsisdising wages is a bit more tricky. In theory I just want him cut from the club for good but do appreciate he can have an impact in certain games, for example home games against lower table opposition. Think subsidising wages as well is a bridge too far in practice.

And I agree completely there’s basically
No chance he leaves due to there being no feasible interest in him.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I would let him leave for free. The contract is a sunk cost now, he’s getting 350k a week for the remainder of his contract: £18.2m a year.

Letting him leave AND subsisdising wages is a bit more tricky. In theory I just want him cut from the club for good but do appreciate he can have an impact in certain games, for example home games against lower table opposition. Think subsidising wages as well is a bridge too far in practice.

And I agree completely there’s basically
No chance he leaves due to there being no feasible interest in him.
How exactly do you expect the club to pull this off?
We don't have the money to just buy people out of expensive contracts. It is for this reason it was a mistake.

Far too many posters on here think the football transfer market works exactly like it does on a playstation game.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

The fact that we are getting no interest from other clubs should tell everyone on the forum how he is seen by other clubs and their professional scouts and coaches. It is depressing that this is our best paid player and we cannot shift him even remotely easily.

Alkane

How exactly do you expect the club to pull this off?
We don't have the money to just buy people out of expensive contracts. It is for this reason it was a mistake.

Far too many posters on here think the football transfer market works exactly like it does on a playstation game.
My point was I’d let him leave for free if the counterparty simply paid his full wages, however us going the additional step of paying part of said wages is not realistic

lucky7

My point was I’d let him leave for free if the counterparty simply paid his full wages, however us going the additional step of paying part of said wages is not realistic
Yes. Absolutely. And still no one will be interested in that because right now he's not worth 18m/yr even on a free to anyone but China. He'll want a 3 year deal I would bet.

That's the equivalent of a 35m transfer on 120k wages. Is he worth that at 30? Not to very many teams.

The only way out is to pay around half of his wages on a 2 year loan deal like James. 18m for 2 years of Özil MIGHT get some bites.

OSBK

Established Member
I disagree about the interest. The wage is not an issue for most and some in china, russia, turkey, italy, spain. Özil to turkey would be a no brainer, shirt sales alone would cover his wages easily and i think its the move that will happen. I do think the issue with moving him on is more the board and how they value him, willian who is older and in the last 12months of his contract is getting bids of 35mill. The board probably have a stupid value on him based on the pr and shirt sales he would bring to a club and not his performances.

lucky7

I disagree about the interest. The wage is not an issue for most and some in china, russia, turkey, italy, spain. Özil to turkey would be a no brainer, shirt sales alone would cover his wages easily and i think its the move that will happen. I do think the issue with moving him on is more the board and how they value him, willian who is older and in the last 12months of his contract is getting bids of 35mill. The board probably have a stupid value on him based on the pr and shirt sales he would bring to a club and not his performances.
The highest wage paid in Turkey is 63k.
The highest paid player in Russia earns 86k.
Only Juve can afford him in Italy.
Only Real, Atheltico or Barca can afford him in Spain.
PSG would be our best bet perhaps, but he's already turned down a move to PSG in the last transfer window.
I do agree that China is a valid option, but if Özil is turning down Paris I don't see him moving to China until after he's run his current contract out.

None of Real, Atleti, Barca, or Juve are interested in Özil.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...fee-net-worth-contract-how-long-a8456191.html
Clubs only take 10-15% of shirt sales depending on the contract. Even the Ronaldo deal to Juve is not expected to generate a significant income from shirt sales vs the transfer cost.

"...signing a star player doesn’t lead to as many new kits being sold as one might think. While there will usually be an uptick in shirts sold in the market where the player came from, it is more often the case that those who were already planning on purchasing a shirt will choose to get the new player’s name on the back, rather than an existing player."

OSBK

Established Member
PSG would be our best bet perhaps, but he's already turned down a move to PSG in the last transfer window.
I do agree that China is a valid option, but if Özil is turning down Paris I don't see him moving to China until after he's run his current contract out.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...fee-net-worth-contract-how-long-a8456191.html
Clubs only take 10-15% of shirt sales depending on the contract. Even the Ronaldo deal to Juve is not expected to generate a significant income from shirt sales vs the transfer cost.

"...signing a star player doesn’t lead to as many new kits being sold as one might think. While there will usually be an uptick in shirts sold in the market where the player came from, it is more often the case that those who were already planning on purchasing a shirt will choose to get the new player’s name on the back, rather than an existing player."

Paris is a good call. With neymar leaving and di maria on his last legs they need a high profile name. Is it right that players in the top division in turkey pay only 15% tax? That league is so dodgy that you could see a fiddle and Özil moving.

Didnt know that about the shirt sales, so all the extra revenue goes to the player? Its no wonder players are going to china, average players become wealthy as hell.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes

Yepp, that's the issue.

We'd have many suitors for all of Özil, Xhaka, Koa and Mustafi quite easily, if it wasn't for their princely paychecks.

Harz

I don't know where you took the Turkey top-paid player statistic from but it doesn't reflect the truth.

The top-paid player at Galatasaray is Sofiane Feghouli, and we know exactly how much he makes because Gala always announces the financial details of the contracts. (Source in Turkish: https://www.galatasaray.org/haber/gs-sportif-a-s/feghouli-galatasarayda/36188)

Sofiane Feghouli earns 3.85m Euros annually, with appearance and competition bonuses included his total earnings add up to 4.5m Euros. Here's the catch: footballers don't pay tax in Turkey.

So he makes, without bonuses: 3.85m/52 ~ 74k p/w = £66k p/w

However, he doesn't pay any tax. To have the same net income at a Premier League team, he needs to earn 66k/0.55 = £120k p/w

When you include the bonuses the figure reaches ~ £140k p/w

That's still nowhere near the levels Özil's earning now. However, if we look at what Fener paid Robin van Persie (Source in Turkish: https://www.kap.org.tr/Bildirim/452431)

Guaranteed annual salary: 4.9m Euros ~ £153k p/w in the PL
Annual earnings with bonuses: 7.1m Euros ~ £223k p/w in the PL

Fener can give him ~£250k p/w as things stand, if they don't get punished due to FFP. However, Fener won't pay any loan fees or transfer fees for him. If we were willing to let him go for free, Fener might just sign him. Don't forget that he only has two more years with us but Fener can give him four years. That can maximize his earnings in the long run, and because he's very famous in Turkey he can make bank on commercial deals.

We can also loan him out to Fener and subsidize one-third of his salary but that wouldn't be smart business, better to keep him just in case.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Özil is in the drivers seat.

He can stay put, see how it pans out for a season and then decide if he wants to play in turkey if the situation doesn't work out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom