• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

lucky7

I don't know where you took the Turkey top-paid player statistic from but it doesn't reflect the truth.

The top-paid player at Galatasaray is Sofiane Feghouli, and we know exactly how much he makes because Gala always announces the financial details of the contracts. (Source in Turkish: https://www.galatasaray.org/haber/gs-sportif-a-s/feghouli-galatasarayda/36188)

Sofiane Feghouli earns 3.85m Euros annually, with appearance and competition bonuses included his total earnings add up to 4.5m Euros. Here's the catch: footballers don't pay tax in Turkey.

So he makes, without bonuses: 3.85m/52 ~ 74k p/w = £66k p/w

However, he doesn't pay any tax. To have the same net income at a Premier League team, he needs to earn 66k/0.55 = £120k p/w

When you include the bonuses the figure reaches ~ £140k p/w

That's still nowhere near the levels Özil's earning now. However, if we look at what Fener paid Robin van Persie (Source in Turkish: https://www.kap.org.tr/Bildirim/452431)

Guaranteed annual salary: 4.9m Euros ~ £153k p/w in the PL
Annual earnings with bonuses: 7.1m Euros ~ £223k p/w in the PL

Fener can give him ~£250k p/w as things stand, if they don't get punished due to FFP. However, Fener won't pay any loan fees or transfer fees for him. If we were willing to let him go for free, Fener might just sign him. Don't forget that he only has two more years with us but Fener can give him four years. That can maximize his earnings in the long run, and because he's very famous in Turkey he can make bank on commercial deals.

We can also loan him out to Fener and subsidize one-third of his salary but that wouldn't be smart business, better to keep him just in case.
If it's a loan and we're paying 1/3 of his wages then they still have to pay 233k out of their pocket. Lower taxes doesn't change his contract. That's significantly more than they've ever paid for a player.

As far as their wage space for FFP at Fener. They increased their wage bill by 20% the year after RVP left from the few sources I've been able to find. I can't find a good breakdown for their wagebill in 2018/19 though.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Players performance should be assessed on a game by game basis by an independent body and if they consistently perform below a pre-agreed baseline level they should have their contracts terminated.

I'm talking about a prolonged, consistent set of mostly p1ss poor performances, no grey areas. You'd really have to push the boat out to trigger the clause.

Since Özil signed his new contract he has performed a bigger robbery than Brinks Mat. The funny thing was, he was playing pretty well just before that.

He's downed tools, and become footballs biggest toxic asset. More "Wenger luck" I guess.

lucky7

Players performance should be assessed on a game by game basis by an independent body and if they consistently perform below a pre-agreed baseline level they should have their contracts terminated.

I'm talking about a prolonged, consistent set of mostly p1ss poor performances, no grey areas. You'd really have to push the boat out to trigger the clause.

Since Özil signed his new contract he has performed a bigger robbery than Brinks Mat. The funny thing was, he was playing pretty well just before that.
That's not how labor agreements work. The solution you might be interested in is having a large % of player pay be based on performance. The club most famously doing this right now is Tottenham whose highest paid player until recently was Kane on 110k/wk + bonuses. They have changed that now since they've moved into their osterity period to hold onto assets.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
That's not how labor agreements work. The solution you might be interested in is having a large % of player pay be based on performance. The club most famously doing this right now is Tottenham whose highest paid player until recently was Kane on 110k/wk + bonuses. They have changed that now since they've moved into their osterity period to hold onto assets.

? Isn’t it a fairly common practice to have annual appraisals and in some (usually high end, cut throat) sectors if you receive a low grade it’s quite normal that you are moved on out of the company.

Fortunately my company haven’t caught up with me yet ;)

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

He's downed tools, and become footballs biggest toxic asset. More "Wenger luck" I guess.
it's the same time that the manager changed, the formation changed, two first teamers got injured.

maybe that has something to do with it?

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
He has been crap for Wenger's last 1/2 season though. Got his big fat contract and no longer needs to care.
would only call his first half of the season under Emery crap.

Everyone down to the individual player was crap during the time you mentioned

scytheavatar

Established Member
would only call his first half of the season under Emery crap.

Everyone down to the individual player was crap during the time you mentioned

We made Özil the best paid midfielder in the league so that he is the ace of the team, the player we look at to lift the team when the tide is against us. Like how Henry/Cesc/RvP lifted us in the past. When the team is crap then it is all Özil's fault, no matter how well he performs. Cause the wages we paid him could have gone to pay for 2 very good players instead.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
We made Özil the best paid midfielder in the league so that he is the ace of the team, the player we look at to lift the team when the tide is against us. Like how Henry/Cesc/RvP lifted us in the past. When the team is crap then it is all Özil's fault, no matter how well he performs. Cause the wages we paid him could have gone to pay for 2 very good players instead.
We made him the best paid player in the league but removed Santi and Alexis from the team.

You and I could argue all day if it was completely his fault but common sense dictates that if the team loses quality overall, it will go lower in the table.

Pogba earns a ton of money and is arguably the best midfielder in the world but ManUre is behind us with him in the team.

Cesc was a leader but never won a thing. Henry was sorrounded by the best team of all time probably.

I'll give you that RVP elevated our team to insane levels

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Sounds like a scapegoat to me

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Who knows what will happen but how much input does Emery have? Conte has told Icardi to leave and not bother showing up during pre season! Icardi, having gone to war with Inter and the fans is now begging to stay. Surely someone has to make a decision and tell Özil instead of conducting a shadow war through the media. At least then well know what can or can't be done.

RacingPhoton

Established Member
? Isn’t it a fairly common practice to have annual appraisals and in some (usually high end, cut throat) sectors if you receive a low grade it’s quite normal that you are moved on out of the company.

Fortunately my company haven’t caught up with me yet ;)
In those cases, the employees also have the right to leave when they want maybe after a small notice period. That's not how a five year agreement works. It is a deal where the company promises to pay the given salary for five years while the employee stays put during that period.

scytheavatar

Established Member
We made him the best paid player in the league but removed Santi and Alexis from the team.

You and I could argue all day if it was completely his fault but common sense dictates that if the team loses quality overall, it will go lower in the table.

We can get more quality in the team by getting rid of Özil...... his wages hang over us like a millstone. That's why he's getting blamed.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
We can get more quality in the team by getting rid of Özil...... his wages hang over us like a millstone. That's why he's getting blamed.
moot. You get rid of Özil and get someone better, you'll have to pay the same wages and more than affordable price.

Or, you could get the best out of him like we were doing a season ago.

scytheavatar

Established Member
moot. You get rid of Özil and get someone better, you'll have to pay the same wages and more than affordable price.

Even if we get the best out of Özil then what? At his best ever season for us we still finished 10 points behind Leicester. And let's not pretend our current squad is better than our squad of 2015/16. The whole point of getting rid of Wenger was to modernize the team, to move us towards a solution to gegenpressing. And there's no place in modern football for a classic number 10 like Özil.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Even if we get the best out of Özil then what? At his best ever season for us we still finished 10 points behind Leicester. And let's not pretend our current squad is better than our squad of 2015/16. The whole point of getting rid of Wenger was to modernize the team, to move us towards a solution to gegenpressing. And there's no place in modern football for a classic number 10 like Özil.
Takes about 15 players to win a league. We will win the league when we have a team like in the times of Henry.

Can't depend on 2 3 players to win a league. Look at how far Hazard could drag Chelsea.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

When you’ve conceded something like 50+ goals in 38 games, getting the best out of a declining playmaker on 250k who gets 5 goals and 2 assists should cease to be a priority.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
When you’ve conceded something like 50+ goals in 38 games, getting the best out of a declining playmaker on 250k who gets 5 goals and 2 assists should cease to be a priority.
agreed, so we should stop obsessing over him and get stuck into the defensive mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom