• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Alex Iwobi: Big 17 No Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
iwobi-ps_119x2bme9s10311f5hjq42701f.png

Interesting comments from Iwobi yesterday about seeing himself as a midfielder. Don't disagree. Think he'd be a revelation in a midfield 3.
I remember when Wenger played him in midfield for his first game for us. I think it was Watford in the FA Cup so I’m intrigued as to why Wenger moved him out wide. Probably to accommodate Özil but I always believed him to be a number 10

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Lol...

For Nigeria, Iwobi looks great in the centre if I’m honest. Not enough end product for week in week out in prem, although it would be hard to be worse than current Özil.

Iwobi’s weak shots are hella frustrating.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Would be an abomination in midfield. No thank you!

Absolutely ridiculous statement. He has all the qualities needed to be a starting calibre central midfielder. He is a completely different player when he is in an attacking central midfield role, move him deeper and he has the ability to completely dominant a midfield. He has the size, strength, close control, vision and pace to play in that position. He doesn't have a consistent final ball, but he has the ability to make the pre assist on a consistent basis. He is the one who gets Kolasinac in down the left hand side. He can also receive the ball under pressure. Whether he would be switched on or not is another matter, but if he is central he kind of has to be. You don't have dead spells in the game. So his fitness would have to improve.

That game is Iwobi deeper, practically in a midfield three, not as a 10. He is an absolute handful when he plays there as he has very good ball retention and is strong enough to ride challenges in midfield. This isn't against a mickey mouse team. He is driving past Kante ffs and people want Ceballos.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
People made the exact same mistake with Ox. He wasn't smart enough to play central midfield, he always gave the ball away, Ox is a winger, no Ox should be a wingback.

Ox had all the ability to play central midfield in a 3. People would still have taken Ceballos over him. Yet look where he plays for Liverpool. Now people are writing off Iwobi, even though he hasn't been given the chance to play there, but when he has, he has been a much better player.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
Absolutely ridiculous statement. He has all the qualities needed to be a starting calibre central midfielder. He is a completely different player when he is in an attacking central midfield role, move him deeper and he has the ability to completely dominant a midfield. He has the size, strength, close control, vision and pace to play in that position. He doesn't have a consistent final ball, but he has the ability to make the pre assist on a consistent basis. He is the one who gets Kolasinac in down the left hand side. He can also receive the ball under pressure. Whether he would be switched on or not is another matter, but if he is central he kind of has to be. You don't have dead spells in the game. So his fitness would have to improve.

That game is Iwobi deeper, practically in a midfield three, not as a 10. He is an absolute handful when he plays there as he has very good ball retention and is strong enough to ride challenges in midfield. This isn't against a mickey mouse team. He is driving past Kante ffs and people want Ceballos.

I Agree that Iwobi could do very well in the deep, where he doesn't have the pressure of havin gto play the final ball. The issue is can he do the work defensively?

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes

I want Ceballos desparately, but I agree with this also

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Think we have already tried this in training and other games.

Think he lacks passing.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Iwobi would be brilliant in cm. I see him in the Wijnaldum mould of technically good, strong, good worker and confident. Nothing flash, just reliable. Would do well in a midfield 3.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
People made the exact same mistake with Ox. He wasn't smart enough to play central midfield, he always gave the ball away, Ox is a winger, no Ox should be a wingback.

Ox had all the ability to play central midfield in a 3. People would still have taken Ceballos over him. Yet look where he plays for Liverpool. Now people are writing off Iwobi, even though he hasn't been given the chance to play there, but when he has, he has been a much better player.
Iwobi's had good games in midfield already aswell. It makes perfect sense - even the way he plays as a wide man is more like a midfield rather than a forward. But I'm not surprised people are writing off this idea - people have already made their minds up about Iwobi to the point where I think he's becoming underrated. Not one word about the good things he does, just that he's **** and needs to be sold :lol:.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable

There is very little that's particularly impressive in that video.

Ricardinho

La Liga Correspondent
Iwobi's had good games in midfield already aswell. It makes perfect sense - even the way he plays as a wide man is more like a midfield rather than a forward. But I'm not surprised people are writing off this idea - people have already made their minds up about Iwobi to the point where I think he's becoming underrated. Not one word about the good things he does, just that he's **** and needs to be sold :lol:.

He ended Wenger's last season playing deeper from what I can remember, and looked good doing it.

Divided_Pie

Iwobi's passing/possession skill is a big question mark if you're thinking about him in midfield. He would need to adjust to being to focal point of possession - constantly making himself available, quickly receiving and distributing the ball. If you look at his passes per 90 mins last season it's barely more than half of what Özil had playing the #10. (30 vs 56 passes per 90 - I think Özil's contribution to possession and build-up is criminally underrated here but that's another story). Not saying Iwobi doesn't have the skills for it but it would be a huge change in responsibility for him. Wouldn't mind seeing him play as the forward-most CM in a 4-3-3 in preseason or league cup games but I hardly think it would be an easy fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom