• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Raul's Transfer Targets: Summer 2019

• Thread starter Aevi
  • Start date
  • Replies 13,667
  • Views 1,469,598

Who would you rather have?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kingslayer

Forza Milan
Some snippets from **** Law's latest interview:

On Arsenal's financial power:

Law admits Arsenal did have the capability to spend more to bring in potential targets during that period, but the risk factor involved held them back.

“We always felt that we didn’t have the option to make a mistake because a £10m-£20m mistake would be a serious one for the club.

“Where United would take risks on players, we just didn’t have that luxury. We didn’t think it was prudent to take those risks.”

“We had the financial muscle, but the risk reward calculation wasn’t clear,” he said. “Spending a lot of money on a player that didn’t work out would have really put the club in some financial straits.

“Did we miss out on talents? Certainly. I remember sitting in meetings with Steve, Ivan and Arsène and gnashing our teeth over Thibaut Courtois. We knew he was good.

“Eden Hazard as well, we wanted to do that deal. But there was a sense of responsibility and running the club prudently, all the time knowing that every £1 we spent we had to act as if it was our money. It was very, very difficult.”

On Özil's contract:

Law added: “Arsenal can afford the Özil salary. What people don’t fully understand is you amortise the cost of a transfer in conjunction with the player’s salary.

“If you look at the Hazard move to Madrid. Let’s say they paid £100m over five years, so that’s £20m [a year]. And let’s say for argument sake they are paying him £15m. So that move is costing them £35m a year.

“Now, Özil is not costing Arsenal anywhere near that number. So, it’s not just the player’s salary you have to consider when managing the cost of a player, it’s combined. It’s the amortisation of the transfer, plus the salary.”

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/we-...-fixer-law-reveals/1ru4cuhccwyef1xr2r8fjkpaan

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Orny has always said that our budget includes first year wages as well. So if we do a deal for Zaha at say £60M and give him 150k a week and do it over 3 years that would still be 27m this year.

You can see why some deals take a while sheesh. Maybe we'll actually see Stan when we're out there.

Last edited:

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Orny has always said that our budget includes first year wages as well. So if we do a deal for Zaha at say £60M and give him 150k a week and do it over 3 years that would still be 27m this year.

You can see why some deals take a while sheesh.

So if you go by what Law says the actual money exchanging hands isn’t relevant to the talk of a “budget”, budget just means what we can add to the books. So Tierney for £25m on a 5 year £70k per week deal is £8.9m added to this years budget. Obviously you still have to have the cash to buy the player but we’re cash rich so that isn’t a problem.

The talk about paying for Zaha in five £8m installments because of the £45m budget seems like nonsense in that case. It’s the size of the fee, length of contract and salary package that has a direct impact on the budget, not how we structure the payments.

Last edited:

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
So if you go by what Law says the actual money exchanging hands isn’t relevant to the talk of a “budget”, budget just means what we can add to the books. So Tierney for £25m on a 5 year £70k per week deal is £8.9m added to this years budget. Obviously you still have to have the cash to buy the player but we’re cash rich so that isn’t a problem.

The talk about paying for Zaha in five £8m installments because of the £45m budget seems like nonsense in that case. It’s the size of the fee and salary package that has a direct impact on the budget, not how we structure the payments.

I guess we're just scraping the barrel a little because no CL football. Very frustrating, you just knew getting that last year was so damn important.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Remember when Raul said we had been identifying targets for a while now and had established plans going into the transfer window?

Yeah, so that was a lie.
That was when we were 3rd and winning the EL was possible wasn't it?

Still rubbish how they've seemingly not had a backup plan.

Kingslayer

Forza Milan
Remember when Raul said we had been identifying targets for a while now and had established plans going into the transfer window?

Yeah, so that was a lie.

Had all his eggs in the qualifying for the Champions League basket and got too overconfident. Clearly needs to connect with more Gooners - we would've set him straight.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Only change to the defence might be Tierney, then again there are two LBs so I can easily imagine us not buying a new one. Don't think we'll get a new CB for this year, although Saliba does look like it's on. If Kos leaves Chambers will probably replace.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Weren't even bothered about signings coming into this window, it was all about continuing the clear out for me. There are still 10+ players in our squad who I can't stand. Failure to qualify for the CL for 3 years on the trot obviously has no consequences for players at this club.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐

Yeah, so that was a lie.
this interview shouldn't even had happen it just going to make us and media asking questions if he fail to deliver.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
The plan was obviously Zaha, Tierney a CB and a CM. No CL means lack of funds for the original deals mean we have to either cut back and not get one or two planned players for certain positions or buy players who aren't really of the right level to what we need.

I say just get Tierney and Zaha in. IF CB becomes an issue IE Sok/Holding get lengthy injuries address it in January. Having a good left side could be the difference. I don't want to rely on it but the fact 5th place could get CL football is a big deal.

Scrimp into the CL next year, have Saliba come in and its a whole different ball game next summer.

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
Even tho 4 weeks is long time but i'm not confident we'll get the targeted CB LB CM WF we need specially of how slow us and transfer market are moving.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐

Yeah, so that was a lie.

They’ve bid on Saliba, Zaha and Tierney. That’s your plan. The question is if those deals don’t get done do they have a backup plan.

Yousif Arsenal

Trusted ⭐
Weren't even bothered about signings coming into this window, it was all about continuing the clear out for me. There are still 10+ players in our squad who I can't stand. Failure to qualify for the CL for 3 years on the trot obviously has no consequences for players at this club.
it's help when most of these losers ask to leave but when players like Mustafi and Özil have no desire to leave that will only leave us in trouble still players like Jenkinson Elneny should have been gone by now they much easier to get rid.

Aevi

Hale End FC
They’ve bid on Saliba, Zaha and Tierney. That’s your plan. The question is if those deals don’t get done do they have a backup plan.
They don't seem to, and that's a problem. The Zaha bid was hardly even serious to begin with though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom