• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Raul's Transfer Targets: Summer 2019

• Thread starter Aevi
  • Start date
  • Replies 13,667
  • Views 1,467,376

Who would you rather have?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceman10

Established Member
If the club gets any hint of Crystal Palace resistance breaking, perhaps due to player pressure, or Palace not wanting an unhappy player with valuation that might go down by next summer, the club could still be tempted to put off Soares and try a bit further with Palace before fully closing it off. There were some noises out of Brazil on Monday, iirc, making it clear that Arsenal were looking at Soares as the alternative if nothing could be worked out with Palace.

Why

Always Me ?
I really don't want Zaha, say we pay 50/60mil for him. That is his peak transfer value, we then have a depreciating asset. He will help us for 2-3 seasons and then leave on a free.

I would rather get a Soares or blood our youngsters in.

I certainly don't want Chambers to leave. I thought he looked good last night, and would rather have him at CB than Mustafi.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

I really don't want Zaha, say we pay 50/60mil for him. That is his peak transfer value, we then have a depreciating asset. He will help us for 2-3 seasons and then leave on a free.

I certainly don't want Chambers to leave. I thought he looked good last night, and would rather have him at CB than Mustafi.

Why would he leave on a free after 2 or 3 seasons?! I know we're bad but not that bad

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Too much. 50m is fine + deadwood or Chambers at max.

It's not like we ain't paying the money, if it's installments. Piling up.

If we offering 50m+ Chambers we are essentially offering £70M. If we sold Chambers for £20M, which I think is a relatively accurate value for him, then its pretty much the same value. I still think we'd offer something like £55M + £15M in relatively attainable add ons. If Palace don't accept that then its fair enough we have to move on.

Soares is only 3 years younger than Zaha why would he only help us for 2/3 seasons?

Kingslayer

Forza Milan
Too much. 50m is fine + deadwood or Chambers at max.

It's not like we ain't paying the money, if it's installments. Piling up.

Yeah, people act as though we have an unlimited income for these future payments. That being said, though, according to the May 2018 accounts we owed £100m in transfer fee installments, but were due £60m, too. That's £40m owed going into last summer where we didn't make any big sales.

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Yeah, people act as though we have an unlimited income for these future payments. That being said, though, according to the May 2018 accounts we owed £100m in transfer fee installments, but were due £60m, too. That's £40m owed going into last summer where we didn't make any big sales.

I don't mind having a less busy window next year, if we make real quality additions now + Saliba as a big plus next year, but we shouldn't go fully handicapped.

Hopefully, next year will be a breakthrough year for at least 2 youngsters to make the first team squad which equals two signings then.

Why

Always Me ?
If we offering 50m+ Chambers we are essentially offering £70M. If we sold Chambers for £20M, which I think is a relatively accurate value for him, then its pretty much the same value. I still think we'd offer something like £55M + £15M in relatively attainable add ons. If Palace don't accept that then its fair enough we have to move on.

Soares is only 3 years younger than Zaha why would he only help us for 2/3 seasons?

27 this year. Reached his peak form. Don't see him getting better at what he does. At least a 23 year old is someone we have for 6-7 years and who's value goes up purely as he is the only Brazilian national team player not playing outside Brazil currently.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
27 this year. Reached his peak form. Don't see him getting better at what he does. At least a 23 year old is someone we have for 6-7 years and who's value goes up purely as he is the only Brazilian national team player not playing outside Brazil currently.

He'll be at his peak and probably get better with us over the 5 year contract he's on.

A 23 year old with absolutely no experience in Europe let alone the premier league, flop written all over it. People seem to be instantly expecting Soares to come in and do the business, could quite easily flop.

Zaha is premier league proven, something we don't often buy, something we definitely need. Everyone said this about Mane when he joined Liverpool, he went up levels season after season, Wilf will do the same with big names round him.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

Or whether the club want to pay £70m for him, which you have to doubt. With wages you’re investing over £100m in someone and not likely to see any of it back.
This is the key issue for me. I personally think hes a tad overrated given the price.

Reactions: Why

Why

Always Me ?
He'll be at his peak and probably get better with us over the 5 year contract he's on.

A 23 year old with absolutely no experience in Europe let alone the premier league, flop written all over it. People seem to be instantly expecting Soares to come in and do the business, could quite easily flop.

Zaha is premier league proven, something we don't often buy, something we definitely need. Everyone said this about Mane when he joined Liverpool, he went up levels season after season, Wilf will do the same with big names round him.

How did he do when he went into a big team at Man Utd?

5 year contract, so we are lumbered with him until he is 32? Yeh more like a 3/4 year contract with 1 year option.

Zaha does well when he is the only shining star in a team and everything goes through him. He is a good player, but not 100% certain he is someone I want for 50/60mil when his value will only go down.

We already have an oldish frontline with Auba(30), Özil(30), Laca(28), and Miki(30). Bring in another 27 year old. None of the above players will be sellable for any decent money after next season except maybe Laca if he loses weight.

So thats a huge loss on investment. We need to invest smartly and bringing in someone for the above money who failed to step up at Man Utd and will be 30 in 3 years is not a sound investment.

I would rather we take a risk on a 23yr old Brazilian who had a very good Copa America, than Zaha.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
This is the key issue for me. I personally think hes a tad overrated given the price.

I would love us to sign him but at the same time I keep thinking about the problems in our squad now. We have thirty year olds on £150k a week that nobody else wants. That’s where we’ll be with Zaha in 4 or 5 years time. It doesn’t matter if you spend £40m on someone from Brazil because they’ll either do well and you’ll sell them for double that or they’ll do badly and you’ll get half your money back. They’ll be on fairly low wages so they won’t be hard to move on.

There’s a balancing act. The goal is to get into the Champions League and Zaha will obviously give us a better chance, so in that sense his signing is worth it. But the minute you drop out of those top 4 spots you’re ****ed. That risk isn’t there with the other options.

Reactions: Why

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐

Charles expect us add Winger and extra CB when Kosh leave. also Watt saying sources inside club distancing themselves from Soares and Zaha deal look unlikely.

So i don't know what this will leave us? Sarr Pepe Fraser?

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I think Zaha is still possible if Palace accept £50m + Chambers, I don't see them getting better than that from us or anyone else. If they don't want Chambers then we go for Soares. I also think we still need to sell a few players, Mustafi if possible, Elneny, Monreal or Kola if we get Tierney.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
How did he do when he went into a big team at Man Utd?

5 year contract, so we are lumbered with him until he is 32? Yeh more like a 3/4 year contract with 1 year option.

Zaha does well when he is the only shining star in a team and everything goes through him. He is a good player, but not 100% certain he is someone I want for 50/60mil when his value will only go down.

We already have an oldish frontline with Auba(30), Özil(30), Laca(28), and Miki(30). Bring in another 27 year old. None of the above players will be sellable for any decent money after next season except maybe Laca if he loses weight.

So thats a huge loss on investment. We need to invest smartly and bringing in someone for the above money who failed to step up at Man Utd and will be 30 in 3 years is not a sound investment.

I would rather we take a risk on a 23yr old Brazilian who had a very good Copa America, than Zaha.

Completely irrelevant as he was so young at the time and didn't even get given a chance so i'm not going to even bother with that.

You don't know if Zaha does well out of that setup? He's never been out of that setup as a mature, well rounded player. He'd flourish on the left side with us, his goal to game ratio would go up as would his assists. He also works very hard and as a Gooner would fight for the badge.

We have fantastic youth coming through behind those players. Your idea seems to be buy players who're 20-23 with good resale value then eventually sell them? NO. We need to do both.

Plus Soares will cost £40M+ its a much bigger risk than spending £60M on Zaha.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
I cant vote in this poll, we already have Martinelli and he's not even included in the question! Very poor poll!

Why

Always Me ?
Completely irrelevant as he was so young at the time and didn't even get given a chance so i'm not going to even bother with that.

You don't know if Zaha does well out of that setup? He's never been out of that setup as a mature, well rounded player. He'd flourish on the left side with us, his goal to game ratio would go up as would his assists. He also works very hard and as a Gooner would fight for the badge.

We have fantastic youth coming through behind those players. Your idea seems to be buy players who're 20-23 with good resale value then eventually sell them? NO. We need to do both.

Plus Soares will cost £40M+ its a much bigger risk than spending £60M on Zaha.

Irrelevant? He couldn't even get in the team, quite likely as his performances in training were sub par. If he was good he would have got games. He went out on loan and still did nothing from the age of 20-25.

He has not played well the last few seasons but in a team where he is the main outlet. He will not be the main outlet at Arsenal. His numbers will drop considerably not go up, as there are more options for passes with Auba/Laca. Considering Palaces top scorer was the dude who took all the penalties and Zaha played upfront alone... He is now relegated to wing...

He is not worth 70mil, and he is certainly not someone you spend 70mil on when you know we will never be able to recoup any of that money. Just because someone supports Arsenal does not make them a world-beater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom