• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Pre-Season 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
I read really positive things about Willock really good to see he preformed well against tought team.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
He's OK IMO. He'll be a PL player I think, very good technician and a bit of a spicy streak that most British midfielders need. Not sure he's quite Arsenal quality but he's looked relatively comfy compared to the level I thought he would be at.

John-Jules is very good, arguably the most all-round CF out of the youngsters - even Eddie. Really wish he'd buried his chance, both him and Nelson missed glorious chances.

Nelson was very subdued I thought. Didn't look bad but he rarely got involved.
What's wrong with Reiss do you think?

Maybe just a confidence hit after his weird loan.

Artisan

Not Emery's Old Pal
Nelson keeps getting opportunities and he keeps failing to impress. He couldn't do anything right in the game, no link up play, poor passing and didn't really show off his skills. The only thing he showed was his pace, which was rapid tbf. Even on loan, once his purple patched dried up he was dropped for the remainder of his loan. Can't blame Emery if he doesn't give him a chance when he can't prove himself.

John-Jules looked like he could be an elite talent though. I thought he was the best player when he came on, seemed at home going against the Bayern lads.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
They might be with us but they won’t all get 10 starts and I disagree that it’s better than 30 elsewhere.

There’s no substitute for match experience. You’re underestimating the impact of the confidence that comes with being trusted to start competitive games each week. To this day I’m convinced if we signed Walcott and loaned him back to Southampton rather than “nuture” him in training for a year to learn from Arsenal players, he’d have developed much better decision making and learned to apply a wider ranger of tools than pace and shooting.

Compare someone who tries learning to be an elite chef by watching other chefs cook, doing training courses and then occasionally being thrown into a busy kitchen with someone who’s been working in an established restaurant for 2 years. The former might have just as much talent but the latter will be more effective with it.

It’s more convenient for us to keep them around but if they’re going to make 5 matchday squads a season and play with the U23s, they’re much better off starting every week at somewhere like Charlton.

We just need to not be stupid and include a recall clause like Leicester did with Harvey Barnes.

I get what your saying to a degree.

However I'm not talking about making 5 match day squads.

There is probably 50 games a season for us. So I cannot see why the 4 I mentioned can't start 10 games and impact 10 more from the bench. That doesn't have to be exclusively for the cup competitions.

It could be one week in the league Nelson or Saka start alongside Auba and Laca. That's not to say that Xhaka gets a long lay off opening the door for Wilock.

They won't play 30 games we know that. But look at Beliek. What does it say that he has had 2 successful loans. Is 21 and still isn't getting a sniff. You only have to look at Rob Holding. He was kept at the club and Chambers his senior was sent on loan when logic would say should have been other way.

Holding when playing last season looked to have improved again. Would that happen in league one. We will never know but if you are in and around the squad you have the opportunity to impress. If you are impressing in league 1 how serious is it taken.

Guendouzi is another example. If he played well in the championship this year we would say that really isn't that great. However we seen enough this year to think this kid belongs here and can with improvement make a step up. I think the other 4 are the same.

How f*cking nice is the kit btw? I actually can't get over it.

Also John Jules has surprised me.

The kit is starting to grow on me tbf. It got to the stage I would consider wiping my ass with it.

But why are you surprised by John-Jules? Ive been sayin he is one of our bigger talents for year and half now. Listen maybe?

9jagooner

I get what your saying to a degree.

However I'm not talking about making 5 match day squads.

There is probably 50 games a season for us. So I cannot see why the 4 I mentioned can't start 10 games and impact 10 more from the bench. That doesn't have to be exclusively for the cup competitions.

It could be one week in the league Nelson or Saka start alongside Auba and Laca. That's not to say that Xhaka gets a long lay off opening the door for Wilock.

They won't play 30 games we know that. But look at Beliek. What does it say that he has had 2 successful loans. Is 21 and still isn't getting a sniff. You only have to look at Rob Holding. He was kept at the club and Chambers his senior was sent on loan when logic would say should have been other way.

Holding when playing last season looked to have improved again. Would that happen in league one. We will never know but if you are in and around the squad you have the opportunity to impress. If you are impressing in league 1 how serious is it taken.

Guendouzi is another example. If he played well in the championship this year we would say that really isn't that great. However we seen enough this year to think this kid belongs here and can with improvement make a step up. I think the other 4 are the same.
Holding played 2 seasons for Bolton before he joined us. Guendozi same with Lorient. I agree with the previous poster you quoted, experience matters.
For the club, it might be beneficial to keep these youngsters as back up (cheaper option), but for the players themselves, training everyday with first team cannot be compared to playing day in day out even for a League One club. It's not just about the match itself, it's also about learning to implement tactics, knowing what to do when things are not going your way, the mentality of fighting against relegation/fighting for promotion, all these come into play and you won't get this just training with the first team and playing here and there.

Given what we saw late last season where we lost to top 4 due to manager's gamble with players, do you really want us to start some of these youngsters in any EPL match this season? I'm not saying we won't win, I am just saying that with the money that's come into the EPL in recent years, that will be a bigger gamble than what Emery did last season with the team.

9jagooner

I said it on another post, historically, many of our players who have transited from youth team to first team have first gone on loan. Bellerin, Wilshere, Szczesny, Bendtner, etc

9jagooner

"For example, Robbie [Burton]. I didn't know Robbie. Freddie said to me he's a good player with the capacity to play as a six or eight. Really, he helped us." - Emery

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Holding played 2 seasons for Bolton before he joined us. Guendozi same with Lorient. I agree with the previous poster you quoted, experience matters.
For the club, it might be beneficial to keep these youngsters as back up (cheaper option), but for the players themselves, training everyday with first team cannot be compared to playing day in day out even for a League One club. It's not just about the match itself, it's also about learning to implement tactics, knowing what to do when things are not going your way, the mentality of fighting against relegation/fighting for promotion, all these come into play and you won't get this just training with the first team and playing here and there.

Given what we saw late last season where we lost to top 4 due to manager's gamble with players, do you really want us to start some of these youngsters in any EPL match this season? I'm not saying we won't win, I am just saying that with the money that's come into the EPL in recent years, that will be a bigger gamble than what Emery did last season with the team.

Last year we lost top 4 because our senior players didn't show the heart and desire that is required for top 4. Players like Miki, Iwobi, Xhaka the list goes on.

So yes I am all for keeping 3 or 4 of our most promising young talents and getting them involved. I would much rather see Saka or Nelson coming of the bench needing a goal than Miki.

How can they break into the Arsenal team if they aren't at Arsenal. We send them on loan to say league one. They don't set the world alight. What happens next? We send them on another loan. And another until it gets to the point where we see they aren't good enough.

Young players need the opportunity to impress and that won't happen playing against Oldham on a Tuesday night.

I want young players to get a chance at this club and I don't care if 3/4 prove to be not up to it. If one makes it and the others can be sold so be it.

In this market a young player only need a few good games and he's worth 15-20m.

Is Saka or Nelson off the bench a worse option than Miki?

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀

Last year we lost top 4 because our senior players didn't show the heart and desire that is required for top 4. Players like Miki, Iwobi, Xhaka the list goes on.

So yes I am all for keeping 3 or 4 of our most promising young talents and getting them involved. I would much rather see Saka or Nelson coming of the bench needing a goal than Miki.

How can they break into the Arsenal team if they aren't at Arsenal. We send them on loan to say league one. They don't set the world alight. What happens next? We send them on another loan. And another until it gets to the point where we see they aren't good enough.

Young players need the opportunity to impress and that won't happen playing against Oldham on a Tuesday night.

I want young players to get a chance at this club and I don't care if 3/4 prove to be not up to it. If one makes it and the others can be sold so be it.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Oh, so you’re the guy who expects the #10 to play like Gattusso in a preseason match.

Thought Özil started a bit slow but gave a good effort as the game went on. Was a great outlet on the counter at times, dropped deep a number of times to help with possession and build-up, made some good runs (Mkhi missed him badly on one), had a shot on target, created a chance for Sokratis on the free kick, and yes, I saw him sprinting to press a couple of times and attempt a couple of tackles. He didn’t exactly take the game by the scruff of the neck, but he certainly doesn’t deserve scorn for his performance.

If a number 10 doesn't tackle and is incapable of winning headers, I wouldn't bat an eyelid if they:

1) Could dribble and beat players
2) score from outside the box
3) Demand the ball and take control of the game in all situations
4) Consistently creating shooting opportunities for others and for themselves.
5) Speed up the game and be explosive, not slow it down.

While what Özil does can look easy on the eye, that is what it is. It just looks good. He is at the stage where he performs so poorly and infrequently that a good game is hard to come by. Therefore the standard of good is exaggerated.

He did not have a 'good' game, he had an average game. Understandably there are some factors that create an average game that are out of his control, however, there was a lot in that game to further evidence why he shouldn't be playing.

1) His touch was off, but that is understandable as usually it isn't.
2) He slows the game down, and drops into midfield to play passes that don't do anything other than pad his passing stats.
3) He had 1 shot on goal.
4) He had 1 incisive pass.
5) He had 1 dribble.
6) When he doesn't have the ball he takes up the role of a striker, but he doesn't press effectively as he can't. Therefore we end up playing a 4-4-2.
7) He still is weak physically. On two occasions he ended up on the floor and got the foul where he wouldn't in England and one time he didn't get the foul.

The above performance was not good enough and nothing will change going into the season. He isn't going to dramatically start creating goals and scoring them in the exact same system Emery employed last season. He isn't going to connect the midfield to the attack, as he couldn't even do that last season.

If you play number 10 you need to make things happen. He simply doesn't.

Woke up tonight and read 4-5 comments and then fell a sleep again. Sorry bros!

Glad to see the result!

While I'm not saying we should ditch all seniors and start playing youngsters now there is something that has been obvious to me in last year or so. The youngsters press a lot better and with lot more intensity. You have Özil, Auba, Miki and even Laca who work hardest of them, all with to much laid back mentality. Even in premier league games you can see it. It is for sure to me that these 4 can't ever, ever start all together again.

Glad to hear that youth are still doing well and honestly it doesn't surprise me. I think few will have won Emery's heart over by the end of the pre-season. But in reality maybe 2-3 of them will have to go on loan. Specially if we can't get rid of the dross we have stealing their game time!

9jagooner

Just to get things straight and be sure we're discussing on same basis:
Are we playing them just simply because they are from Hale End?
If this is your basis, then I don't have any argument against this. Only thing is, we shouldn't then complain if we don't compete.

However, if as fans we want the club to compete with at least the top four then yes, we should have our best players on paper on the field and on the bench. And at the moment, we need to get a Zaha/Everton and not Saka, etc
And yes, playing against Oldham on a Tuesday night is an opportunity to impress. Ask Szczesny, Bielik, Bolton (we bought him whilst he was playing against the likes of Oldham), and so on.

If they can't prove themselves against such level opposition, do you think they should be playing for Arsenal? This is an honest question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom