• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Pre-Season 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

"For example, Robbie [Burton]. I didn't know Robbie. Freddie said to me he's a good player with the capacity to play as a six or eight. Really, he helped us." - Emery

It's really nice how our current manager will let the other coaching staff suggest things. Refreshing.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Not as worried as the youth as you lot are. If they're good enough they'll play. There's a lot of weaknesses in the squad.

This wasn't like when Gnabry had his path blocked by peak Walcott and promising Ox.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

This OTT youngsters fetish needs to stop already. Seems like some people took the ***** word too literally ffs.
It's annoying as hell.

We aren't finishing top four with a first eleven made up of 5 academy prospects. Unless we are sitting on a Barca/Man United golden generation (which I'm 99.99% sure we're not) then people need to get a grip and a reality check.

It's annoying as hell.

We aren't finishing top four with a first eleven made up of 5 academy prospects. Unless we are sitting on a Barca/Man United golden generation (which I'm 99.99% sure we're not) then people need to get a grip and a reality check.

Don't think any sensible poster is saying stuff like this.

Again. We have strong academy, we have some interesting talents coming through. It is important we give these players game time, a little more than last season but not going for any overkill. The talents we have are good, and with game time we can either see if they have what it takes or at least get a little more money for them than if we let them rot in academy. Also it doesn't have to be United og Barca generation. If we manage to get 2-4 players from the current group it would be elite job done by everyone at the club.

What are you any way trying to say? That we have better chance with Kolasinac, Elneny, Mustafi, Mikitaryan, Past it Özil, Lacazette or last year Lichtsteiner? Okay Trilly, sure we finish top4 that way. :lol:

Just saw the highlights. Özil taking up some good goal scoring positions, lacking match sharpness. Nice passes here and there!

Auba very good. Laca lacking match sharpness in everything he does. Very average. Mikitaryan barely gets seen in highlights. Sell please. Mustafi couldn't get sold soon enough either. At least Xhaka is not passing to opposition, or maybe he did, I'm almost numb for it now so I wouldn't be able to tell. Kola and Monreal, here is a room for improvement. BY NEW SIGNING.

A lot of lack of match sharpness. Hope to see most improve as the pre-season goes on! Otherwise we are in a big trouble.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Just to get things straight and be sure we're discussing on same basis:
Are we playing them just simply because they are from Hale End?
If this is your basis, then I don't have any argument against this. Only thing is, we shouldn't then complain if we don't compete.

However, if as fans we want the club to compete with at least the top four then yes, we should have our best players on paper on the field and on the bench. And at the moment, we need to get a Zaha/Everton and not Saka, etc
And yes, playing against Oldham on a Tuesday night is an opportunity to impress. Ask Szczesny, Bielik, Bolton (we bought him whilst he was playing against the likes of Oldham), and so on.

If they can't prove themselves against such level opposition, do you think they should be playing for Arsenal? This is an honest question.

f we sign Zaha and Everton or even just one I would keep one of Nelson or Saka. I would keep Willock unless we sign a central midfield player. I would keep Eddie unless we sign a striker.

I want them to stay for a number of reasons.

Firstly it gives them an opportunity to impress here. Rashford-esque. One injury or piece of luck could unearth something. Had Rashford been on loan there's a significant chance that we still wouldn't know about him before he burst on the scene and put us to the sword.

Secondly they are hungry. Or at least they look it. Nketiah scored that goal and showed passion. In the build up he wanted to win the ball more than Sule. Why? Because he has something to prove and wants to be apart of this team. Would Miki or Özil demonstrate that passion.

Thirdly as a club who is probably going to have to rely on signing young talent before they hit the peak we want to be showing that if you come to us you will get a chance. As I said most young players aren't good enough and won't make it but there will be some.
Forthly I am hugely unimpressed by our current crop of players. The younger players give me hope. I would much rather see them get the chance and fail than to be sent on loan only for us to not hear anything for a few years.

Fifth point even if they do ok for us when they play and we realise they aren't good enough we will get much more money than selling a player who's been on loan in league one for 2 years and deemed never good enough for our bench with one of our worst squads in years.

There's a balance between keeping them all and loaning them all. But some look good enough to make an impact in some form. And that is always needed.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

That was a decent game by us today, we could have won 3,4-1 rather then 2-1 if we took most of our chances. We play like that during a few of our PL games but take advantage of the chances we missed we could easily have a chance of making the top 4.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Just to get things straight and be sure we're discussing on same basis:
Are we playing them just simply because they are from Hale End?
If this is your basis, then I don't have any argument against this. Only thing is, we shouldn't then complain if we don't compete.

However, if as fans we want the club to compete with at least the top four then yes, we should have our best players on paper on the field and on the bench. And at the moment, we need to get a Zaha/Everton and not Saka, etc
And yes, playing against Oldham on a Tuesday night is an opportunity to impress. Ask Szczesny, Bielik, Bolton (we bought him whilst he was playing against the likes of Oldham), and so on.

If they can't prove themselves against such level opposition, do you think they should be playing for Arsenal? This is an honest question.

I agree.

Coping with pressure, responding with the right attitude when going a goal down, getting dropped after a bad game, dealing with away fans giving you stick, and having the courage to play your game while defenders try to kick lumps out of you is crucial.

You don't get these lessons from training sessions, sporradic league cup games and 10 minute cameos in PL/European games that have already been decided.

These youngsters need a platform for their growth, and the freedom to take risks on a consistent basis in the right competitive, high stakes environment. Hopefully that's here, but if not, then make it a loan with a recall or sell with buy back.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Özil had a decent game I thought, Leno & Sokratis aswell. Sokratis helped Mustafi a fair bit during the game I thought aswell, what did you expect though by Mustafi.

Willock played well, quite impressed me, I just wish Auba & Laca had been a bit more on the ends of the crosses we did.

Big Poppa

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Last year we lost top 4 because our senior players didn't show the heart and desire that is required for top 4. Players like Miki, Iwobi, Xhaka the list goes on.

So yes I am all for keeping 3 or 4 of our most promising young talents and getting them involved. I would much rather see Saka or Nelson coming of the bench needing a goal than Miki.

How can they break into the Arsenal team if they aren't at Arsenal. We send them on loan to say league one. They don't set the world alight. What happens next? We send them on another loan. And another until it gets to the point where we see they aren't good enough.

Young players need the opportunity to impress and that won't happen playing against Oldham on a Tuesday night.

I want young players to get a chance at this club and I don't care if 3/4 prove to be not up to it. If one makes it and the others can be sold so be it.

In this market a young player only need a few good games and he's worth 15-20m.

Is Saka or Nelson off the bench a worse option than Miki?

One thing we agree on is that they need to play regular football which is great.

So if they can do that here then super but when you're into a 3rd season of Europa League, have a defence that keeps fewer clean sheets than a Kardshian bedroom and a bottom 3 away record, the likelihood is the coach won't trust unproven youth to a level of consistency that their development requires.

If he does, then again, cool. But we must accept the extended period of transition that comes with it.

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
It seems from highlights that Auba had a monster game. I would really like it if he carries the form to the season.

Seemed to play more as a winger interchanging both sides and caused real havoc. Didn't watch the game so a confirmation would be cool.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
One thing we agree on is that they need to play regular football which is great.

So if they can do that here then super but when you're into a 3rd season of Europa League, have a defence that keeps fewer clean sheets than a Kardshian bedroom and a bottom 3 away record, the likelihood is the coach won't trust unproven youth to a level of consistency that their development requires.

If he does, then again, cool. But we must accept the extended period of transition that comes with it.

But for the past 2 seasons we have tried mikis, Özil, iwobi, lichensteiners. We have had xhaka and Mustafis playing in the league a few years so we have trusted our experienced players and they haven't delivered.

So we do the same thing again trusting the same players to perform a different result or we trust 70% of those players along with maybe 20% new players and a couple of exciting young prospects.

Trent A.A didn't need a loan. He got gradual opportunities with the first team and now he's nailed on and arguably the best right back in league. Since 2016 he's made 55 appearances.

Joe Gomez was signed from Charlton after only making 21 senior appearances in 2015. He was 18 when signing for Liverpool. He didn't go on loan. He stayed and gradually got game time with the first team. Since 2015 he's made 44 appearances.

These are only 2 example but it shows if the talent is there and the coach believes that he can work on that and that the player can make some contribution to the team then they should be kept. And they can develop further without playing week in week out but picking up minutes here and there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom