• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Eddie Nketiah: Better than R9?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
John-Jules did really well to set that move up. He's a very intelligent player IMO.

Nketiah's cameo is just another encouraging sign that he's far better than people estimate, and I look forward to seeing him continue to prove he is a top class prospect - whether here or on loan.
Good passing and combination play from Chambers and John Jules. But I don’t understand why you all are so excited about a tap-in, as if he dribbled past 3 defenders and scored or played some beautiful passes with his teammates before he scored?

It’s just a corner tho, I want arsenal to be skillful enough to break teams in open play.

Last edited:

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
It's admirable that he wants to fight for a place at Arsenal. I would back him to succeed here now. However, I'm afraid another season at Arsenal would ultimately hold back his development towards becoming a top striker as I'm afraid he won't get enough minutes. Therefore, I'm still leaning towards a loan, but it would be dumb to loan Nketiah to anything less than a midtable team in a top 5 league.

I think TJJ could take the role as 3th striker for the season and benefit from training with the first team every week, while Nketiah is beyond that stage.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Good passing and combination play from Chambers and John Jules. But I don’t understand why you all are so excited about a tap-in, as if he dribbled past 3 defenders and scored or played some beautiful passes with his teammates before he scored?

It’s just a corner tho, I want arsenal to be skillful enough to break teams in open play.
Did you have a blindfold on for everything leading up to that corner? Bullying defenders way bigger than him? The 2 dribbles to create openings? Was way more than the tap-in - a similar tap-in which Auba attempted and missed his kick.

John-Jules made that initial goal, much praise must go to him, but Nketiah's overall cameo was just as worthy of praise.

It's admirable that he wants to fight for a place at Arsenal. I would back him to succeed here now. However, I'm afraid another season at Arsenal would ultimately hold back his development towards becoming a top striker as I'm afraid he won't get enough minutes. Therefore, I'm still leaning towards a loan, but it would be dumb to loan Nketiah to anything less than a midtable team in a top 5 league.

I think TJJ could take the role as 3th striker for the season and benefit from training with the first team every week, while Nketiah is beyond that stage.
I agree, although Championship doesn't sound too bad for Nketiah. It's still competitive and he'll get a lot of minutes. A loan would be optimal at this point, Nketiah needs a lot of football.

I agree in the case of Tyreece John-Jules aswell. To me, he's akin to a Lacazette replacement for the sheer fact that he does so much good work outside the box as well as in. He's clever, good technician, can play passes and combine with others, pretty combative in the air (being 6 foot helps) and is a pretty decent finisher when on form. There's definitely a player in John-Jules, he has all the tools to be a good all-round modern #9

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes

I fear for Nketiah too as he is likely to not get enough minutes by Emery again due to Laca and PEA, especially, if we solve our winger issues and we are already mostly only playing either.

But those sub-level leagues are just not good enough. Either a low-level PL team, a good option in the Bundesliga or ligue1/la liga imo.

Hopefully smaller teams saw that game and realize he's an amazing option to get a loan for.

9jagooner

Depends on who comes in. If they trust John-Jules as a 3rd choice then possibly, because I don't see another striker coming in, but it's also definitely possible if the wide positions are bolstered because then Auba plays less games at LW.

We'll see, but like Willock, Nketiah is massively underrated and it will be intriguing to see how next season goes for him IF he gets the minutes, whether that's here or on loan. I've read that Bristol City is a likely destination, which would be OK considering the work they did with Tammy Abraham.
I don't think many 'underrate' Nketiah or Willock.
The question is IF they are ready to play in our first 11 and take us to the top 4 position we are aiming for as a club and as fans.

If we agree that they are not ready for the first 11, then the next question will be:
1. Should they stay and be fine with sitting on the bench and get the odd Europa league / 15 minutes EPL games?
2. Should they go on loan, get regular football and very much needed experience and then come back and actually fight for a shirt.

I think this is where we disagree. I personally want them to go on loan. Sitting on the bench last season, learning from top class strikers may have helped them but I believe if it happens for another season, they will get frustrated. They (at least Eddie) need to go get regular football. Saka is still young so he can stay and play at U23 for another season whilst still training with the first team. But next year, if he hasn't broken into the first team, then depending on his growth, he may need a loan move too.

Willock's situation at the moment is a bit tricky. He plays a role where we currently don't have enough players/have one too many not too good players. With Ramsey gone and with Elneny likely to go too, if the club isn't planning on buying a new midfielder, then I will keep Willock as he is likely to get games. I can already see a situation where we will need him in the first few games of the season - Torreira and Elneny are yet to resume for pre-season. But again, for the players development benefit, a loan to a club where he can prove himself will be very beneficial.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Glad to hear he played well but it was a friendly. The guy needs senior minutes in competitive games.

arsenefc

Obsessed With Guendouzi
i think he can edge laca or auba out of the first team with his performances. For a striker, breaking through is straightforward...sheer weight of goals. Kid has a chance.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
That first video cuts off too soon lol.. I want to see the finish or what he does after if he wasn't able to get a shot off.

HBL

Established Member
Brilliant cameo, looked so lively and really troubled one of the best cb's in the Bundesliga last season.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I don't think many 'underrate' Nketiah or Willock.
The question is IF they are ready to play in our first 11 and take us to the top 4 position we are aiming for as a club and as fans.

If we agree that they are not ready for the first 11, then the next question will be:
1. Should they stay and be fine with sitting on the bench and get the odd Europa league / 15 minutes EPL games?
2. Should they go on loan, get regular football and very much needed experience and then come back and actually fight for a shirt.

I think this is where we disagree. I personally want them to go on loan. Sitting on the bench last season, learning from top class strikers may have helped them but I believe if it happens for another season, they will get frustrated. They (at least Eddie) need to go get regular football. Saka is still young so he can stay and play at U23 for another season whilst still training with the first team. But next year, if he hasn't broken into the first team, then depending on his growth, he may need a loan move too.

Willock's situation at the moment is a bit tricky. He plays a role where we currently don't have enough players/have one too many not too good players. With Ramsey gone and with Elneny likely to go too, if the club isn't planning on buying a new midfielder, then I will keep Willock as he is likely to get games. I can already see a situation where we will need him in the first few games of the season - Torreira and Elneny are yet to resume for pre-season. But again, for the players development benefit, a loan to a club where he can prove himself will be very beneficial.
I actually don't have a problem with them going on loan. As long as they are playing regular minutes, that will please me - I'd rather them play here instead of some of our other "experienced" dossers in the team, but particularly in Nketiah's case he has 2 very seasoned strikers in front of him who've contributed a lot of goals. I don't expect him to play too many games in front of them - he should have at least had the EL group stages mostly to himself but we had Welbeck for that.

And with Willock, the word is Dani Ceballos is coming on loan. That could potentially bloat our midfield and if Elneny is unfortunately still at the club, then a loan for Willock isn't a bad idea. Again, rather he was playing here, but regular minutes is the order of the day. I'm happy with that. I'm only concerned about the nature of the loan - "where they would go, what role in the team they'll play, are they going to be regulars etc". Nelson had a relatively productive loan that could have been so much better if he actually played more.

To your first point, I think people definitely are underrated Willock and Nketiah, to the point that some are still adamant they won't make it here, which I think is unnecessary hyperbole. They most certainly have the talent to succeed and if given a proper first team run here, I think they would be successful IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom