• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Arsenal Pre-Season 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
It seems from highlights that Auba had a monster game. I would really like it if he carries the form to the season.

Seemed to play more as a winger interchanging both sides and caused real havoc. Didn't watch the game so a confirmation would be cool.

Drifted about abit sometimes coming out to the right. Had a couple of good runs. Sent the full back for a packet of regal one time in the first half with a turn of speed.

Could be a good option on the right drifting in if we sign a left winger and Laca through the middle. When play is down the left he will always get himself into the box but could be a good option.

HBL

Established Member
Thought we played really well tbh. Most players put in solid performances, Özil was a nice surprise; Xhaka should definitely be on corners ahead of him/Mkhi though. Youth players were also all very impressive even though some of them only had 10 minutes to impress they all did, Emi Martinez also brilliant in the second half. Motm was definitely Auba, looked so sharp and encouraging that he looked so potent from the right hand side.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
What's wrong with Reiss do you think?

Maybe just a confidence hit after his weird loan.
Not entirely sure, could just have been an off cameo, but he had cameos like that at Hoffenheim where he just couldn't get going. Wasn't like they weren't passing to him this morning either, just wasn't always in the right places to receive. I say give it some time - he'll probably start v Fiorentina (I hope) and play better.

It's annoying as hell.

We aren't finishing top four with a first eleven made up of 5 academy prospects. Unless we are sitting on a Barca/Man United golden generation (which I'm 99.99% sure we're not) then people need to get a grip and a reality check.
We aren't finishing top 4 with our current first team either. I think we are sitting on a very strong generation of talent that we should be using more often - doesn't mean we should go full U23, but we should be looking to ship out the underperforming dross in the first team. Signings would be ideal, but I'd like some young players also introduced slowly aswell. If we aren't signing a particular player in a position for whatever reason, and we have an academy grad who can play that role, 10-15 games won't hurt us anywhere near as much as people seem to think.

Not addressed to you here Trilly, but I have to make something perfectly clear since people like to misunderstand things I say re the academy. I'm not asking for us to play the whole youth team or even as many as 5 in the PL for 38 games straight. The irony is that the posters accusing others who advocate for the academy of hyperbole are themselves using hyperbole when addressing our beliefs about the youth talent at the club.

IDEALLY, signings+a couple of academy promotions would be optimal. If the signings we're looking to pull off actually happen, I will be extremely pleased, as it could potentially mean certain players I don't want to see in the Arsenal team will no longer be stinking up the first team with their customary incompetence. Willock and Nelson are the main 2 I would have around, while some of the others could have a loan either season long or 6 month, with a view to coming back and phasing their way into the first team.

I've caped hard for the younger players of late because I'm so disillusioned with the first team dross that I just don't want to see them at all and if we are to fail, I'd rather at least see some talents from the academy try and fail, I can at least stomach that. We tried something new, the talent were given a go, I won't have as many complaints. Can't say the same for anyone else but whatever. It's just getting a bit silly that people seem annoyed that we are excited about the talent at the club and want to see them given a chance at a time when the players ahead of them are barely doing the minimum.

/rant.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Just to get things straight and be sure we're discussing on same basis:
Are we playing them just simply because they are from Hale End?
If this is your basis, then I don't have any argument against this. Only thing is, we shouldn't then complain if we don't compete.

However, if as fans we want the club to compete with at least the top four then yes, we should have our best players on paper on the field and on the bench. And at the moment, we need to get a Zaha/Everton and not Saka, etc
And yes, playing against Oldham on a Tuesday night is an opportunity to impress. Ask Szczesny, Bielik, Bolton (we bought him whilst he was playing against the likes of Oldham), and so on.

If they can't prove themselves against such level opposition, do you think they should be playing for Arsenal? This is an honest question.
Bielik isn't a good example to be fair - he's had 2 very good loan spells at Birmingham (Championship) and Charlton (League 1), both where he played regularly and was one of the best players in the team.

He's apparently leaving because the club have no plans for him and won't renew his contract. It's not like he has played badly or has shown no indication he can play adequately for us. The club just had nothing for him. He proved himself against said opposition and still hasn't gotten a shot. I'm not even Bielik's biggest fan, but did they really not even consider him? Did he not deserve a shot playing for Arsenal?

GunnerUK

He's apparently leaving because the club have no plans for him and won't renew his contract. It's not like he has played badly or has shown no indication he can play adequately for us. The club just had nothing for him. He proved himself against said opposition and still hasn't gotten a shot. I'm not even Bielik's biggest fan, but did they really not even consider him? Did he not deserve a shot playing for Arsenal?

Emery let Ramsey go for free what chance did Bielik ever have. Emery seems very difficult to impress and seems to know what type of player his looking for. But his made some bold decisions this summer and needs to hope it don’t backfire.

Fallout

i was generally pleased with the attack and annoyed with the defense.

the attack we have now -- i completely agree that it's devoid of wingers and Özil has declined -- but despite that, when given the ball in advanced positions we are generally dangerous. we also have a lot of promising young attackers coming up and given the limited budget i'd like to experiment with them.

the problem i see, personally, is that we don't get into those advanced positions often enough because we struggle too hard to build up against a press. the main culprits are mustafi, who makes bad decisions regularly, and xhaka, who cant turn with the ball and is therefore restricted in how he can progress the play (to the detriment of the overall flow of the buildup).

this game confirmed to me that i really want a ball-playing cb and a dm who can progress the ball effectively in this window. id rather not spend anything on final third players (assuming funds are limited).

I'm not asking for us to play the whole youth team or even as many as 5 in the PL for 38 games straight. The irony is that the posters accusing others who advocate for the academy of hyperbole are themselves using hyperbole when addressing our beliefs about the youth talent at the club.

@Trilly getting destroyed here. Probably wishing he never came back! :drool:

Behave yourself

I'm throwing a party out on the streets! :drool:

But honestly I don't see these posters people are talking about who want full XI with under 23 team in the PL. Or even 5 players. I think most are reasonable and know it will be hard to get as much as 3-4 of players from this generation into the 25 man squad. But this is a strong generation, one of the most exciting ever so I think people are okay to be hopeful!

But what I see more of is people writing these players off from minute one. Wanting to sell all of them for 20 M + even if they think these players are beyond hopeless. Some even go as far as asking us to kill the academy program and only use it to sell players and not promote.

Funnily enough, most of these people say 'Wow they are very very good' when they take their time and actually watch a u23 or u18 game! :lol:

Last edited:

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐
Nelson keeps getting opportunities and he keeps failing to impress. He couldn't do anything right in the game, no link up play, poor passing and didn't really show off his skills. The only thing he showed was his pace, which was rapid tbf. Even on loan, once his purple patched dried up he was dropped for the remainder of his loan. Can't blame Emery if he doesn't give him a chance when he can't prove himself..

Yeah I didn’t watch this game, but in general he struggles to get involved in games, anonymous for large parts and plays within himself.. I’m really expecting to see a different side to him this preseason, talent wise I have no doubts, but he needs to be able to show it.

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Smith-Rowe
But then official Arsenal twitter posted my pic with Nketiah itself xD
Best day ever. Hopefully he becomes a huge star and I can save this screenshot forever. My firsst ever match and unbelievable I got into such a good post from the official account

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Just out of interest, anyone know what's happened with Takuma Asano, is he still contracted with us or has he left or leaving permanently? He's on the profiles list on the website but got no number as far I can see. I'm not fussed either way, can't see him making a name for himself here.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Just out of interest, anyone know what's happened with Takuma Asano, is he still contracted with us or has he left or leaving permanently? He's on the profiles list on the website but got no number as far I can see. I'm not fussed either way, can't see him making a name for himself here.
he is for sale he still didn't get work permit we just asking 1M to sell him.

9jagooner

Bielik isn't a good example to be fair - he's had 2 very good loan spells at Birmingham (Championship) and Charlton (League 1), both where he played regularly and was one of the best players in the team.

We don't know what's up with Bielik yet. He was at the U21s and is currently on holiday. Whether he chose to return and we just didn't take him on tour, I don't know. Bielik' s position is also CB where we have Chambers, Mavropanos and Holding trying to force their way through. With Kos leaving, we need to sign an experienced player so will be tough for him unless he wants to try out at midfield.

Anyways I used Bielik as example in my previous post to show the fact that after impressing at Charlton, he would have opportunities coming his way. Arsenal is not the only club in Europe. He can go and play at another club. Szczesny is currently at one of the best clubs in the world!

In as much as I'll love to see Saka, etal play at Arsenal, I'm more interested in their careers and success of the team. If they're good enough and not getting the opportunity at Arsenal, then go and show it somewhere else.

On that note, does anyone have a list of players we let go from Hale End who went on to make it at a club at a higher level than Arsenal? I can think of Gnabry in recent years. Anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom