• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

General Reserves Talk

• Thread starter M+D
  • Start date
  • Replies 11,736
  • Views 1,149,848

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
Saw a tweet about Amaechi going to Hamburg.

Weird rumour to make up, thought he’d get a Bundesliga club.

I find the whole situation weird. If you want to entice him to sign a contract, you take him with you on the tour. Not taking him is a sure sign he is a goner. It must have been a foregone conclusion, because there is no loss in taking him and potential upside in him signing an extension.

Hope we get a decent fee + buyback.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
He did good yesterday. I'm surprised at how well he has done with the first team, and evidently so are other youth team observers online - including Jeorge Bird.

It is true that he hasn't often been one of the strongest performers at youth level but he's always been very highly rated and puts in the hard yards, which will always endear him to others. Seems to be a smart, well-rounded midfielder who can play in other positions to a decent enough standard. I don't really think he's that good going forward, but judging by his excellent finish last night you would never know! :lol:

I would like him to build on this performance and see how far it takes him. He'll be a firm U23 regular this season alongside Matt Smith I feel, but he'll need to show consistency at U23 level aswell, not just turn up for the bigger occasion.

I find the whole situation weird. If you want to entice him to sign a contract, you take him with you on the tour. Not taking him is a sure sign he is a goner. It must have been a foregone conclusion, because there is no loss in taking him and potential upside in him signing an extension.

Hope we get a decent fee + buyback.
He's on tour with the U23s at the moment, which you have to feel is a pre-cursor to departing the club. It's definitely a stalemate, which will result in Amaechi leaving IMO.

BobP

Memri Fan
He did good yesterday. I'm surprised at how well he has done with the first team, and evidently so are other youth team observers online - including Jeorge Bird.

It is true that he hasn't often been one of the strongest performers at youth level but he's always been very highly rated and puts in the hard yards, which will always endear him to others. Seems to be a smart, well-rounded midfielder who can play in other positions to a decent enough standard. I don't really think he's that good going forward, but judging by his excellent finish last night you would never know! :lol:

I would like him to build on this performance and see how far it takes him. He'll be a firm U23 regular this season alongside Matt Smith I feel, but he'll need to show consistency at U23 level aswell, not just turn up for the bigger occasion.

Every once in a while you come upon a player who may not be a standout at youth level but whose skillset is suited, for some reason, to first-team football.

Iwobi was kind of like that, can also think Thomas Muller who was very much on his way out at Bayern until LVG came in.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Every once in a while you come upon a player who may not be a standout at youth level but whose skillset is suited, for some reason, to first-team football.

Iwobi was kind of like that, can also think Thomas Muller who was very much on his way out at Bayern until LVG came in.
Looking like Robbie Burton can be added to that list potentially. Slotted in quite well during pre-season without much fuss - pretty much cementing his U23 place alongside Olayinka at the base of midfield - or potentially as the #10 which he is capable of playing quite well. Neither player have stood out that much of late yet both have been solid performers in pre-season so far. I'm curious to see what this does for their development.

Should be mentioned that Robbie Burton is very excellent passer and he's not the only one - with Matt Smith (who got 15 assists in the U18s) close behind him and Miguel Azeez behind both of them. Very much becoming a strong point again. EDIT: Forgot to even mention Ben Cottrell - also very good technically.

Last edited:

nick gould

Looking like Robbie Burton can be added to that list potentially. Slotted in quite well during pre-season without much fuss - pretty much cementing his U23 place alongside Olayinka at the base of midfield - or potentially as the #10 which he is capable of playing quite well. Neither player have stood out that much of late yet both have been solid performers in pre-season so far. I'm curious to see what this does for their development.

Should be mentioned that Robbie Burton is very excellent passer and he's not the only one - with Matt Smith (who got 15 assists in the U18s) close behind him and Miguel Azeez behind both of them. Very much becoming a strong point again. EDIT: Forgot to even mention Ben Cottrell - also very good technically.
I understand Freddie pushed for Burton to be used in the first. Freddie is a big fan just like pep was a huge fan of busquets at barca.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Some positive comments on Willock from his fellow players and the coach. Odds on he stays now along with Nelson. ESR and Nketiah will probably go on loan if we sign a winger and CM.

Saka/Amaechi probably u23/first team assuming the latter doesn’t leave.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Bit worried about these tournaments after Valencia/Musah.
I hear you. To assuage your concerns, I'd say our youngsters are fairly known now anyway among scouting circles in Europe. Not playing these tournaments isn't going to stop them from being potentially poached - the tournaments are also beneficial in terms of increasing the competition at that level.

What matters most is the pathway. If we aren't seen to be offering a viable pathway, then they will get poached a lot easier than before because players want to test themselves. The PL already has the reputation of being a league for men with barely any academy talents getting serious traction to play - having to drop down to the football league for competitive football. Foreign clubs are 100% taking notice and advantage of this - just like we took advantage of other countries unwillingness years ago re Fabregas and others.

And specifically in Musah's case - he'd already been linked away from the club before he was even eligible for scholarship. I'm a little concerned too, but as long as we start to provide serious opportunities for out talents then it should be OK and we won't lose many. As I said before, these departures (Musah, Amaechi, VDC) are very disappointing but not devastating and they're losses we can potentially absorb, even within Musah's intake itself (Kido Taylor-Hart being next in line to Amaechi's position potentially within the next year).

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
I hear you. To assuage your concerns, I'd say our youngsters are fairly known now anyway among scouting circles in Europe. Not playing these tournaments isn't going to stop them from being potentially poached - the tournaments are also beneficial in terms of increasing the competition at that level.

What matters most is the pathway. If we aren't seen to be offering a viable pathway, then they will get poached a lot easier than before because players want to test themselves. The PL already has the reputation of being a league for men with barely any academy talents getting serious traction to play - having to drop down to the football league for competitive football. Foreign clubs are 100% taking notice and advantage of this - just like we took advantage of other countries unwillingness years ago re Fabregas and others.

And specifically in Musah's case - he'd already been linked away from the club before he was even eligible for scholarship. I'm a little concerned too, but as long as we start to provide serious opportunities for out talents then it should be OK and we won't lose many. As I said before, these departures (Musah, Amaechi, VDC) are very disappointing but not devastating and they're losses we can potentially absorb, even within Musah's intake itself (Kido Taylor-Hart being next in line to Amaechi's position potentially within the next year).
Amaechi has left?

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Amaechi has left?
He hasn't yet but even if he doesn't leave this Summer, there's a strong possibility he leaves next Summer anyway. It's looking likelier by the day. I included him without the disclaimer.

Technically Musah still has the offer of his scholarship aswell so he could yet still be an Arsenal player - as unlikely as it seems now.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom